Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: happy with where we're going?

Re: happy with where we're going?

I'm not certain I'm as enthusiastic as you, but I'm very anxious to see how this organization develops in the next few years. There is a lot of rebuilding to do after 15+ years of mismangement. It's understandably that everyone is primed for some major activity, but we may well have the misfortune of needing cogs now in a market that I've termed "volatile". The prudent thing is to be steady in the rebuilding.

Will we compete this year? Hard to say. Probably not, but few expected the Reds to compete last year and they, in fact, did compete, albeit in a dismal division in a league that seemed like the family outcast. That said, I hope we're nominally competitive (how's that for punting?).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    trading Larue and adding Moeller may have started that process.
    Lopez out, Clayton in.

Encarnacion out, Aurilia in.

Michalik out, Kim in.

White out, Yan in.

Wagner out, Majewski in.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Lopez out, Clayton in.

Encarnacion out, Aurilia in.

Michalik out, Kim in.

White out, Yan in.

Wagner out, Majewski in.

I'd classify those last three as running in place, more or less. The first two...definitely running backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Lopez out, Clayton in. Clayton out, Gonzo in

Encarnacion out, Aurilia in. Encarnacion back in.

Michalik out, Kim in. Kim out

White out, Yan in. Yan out

Wagner out, Majewski in.

There...cleaned that up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'd classify those last three as running in place, more or less. The first two...definitely running backwards.
    really only the first one. While I am not an RA fan I am more than willing to admit he had a heckuva season, better than EE. EE has a ton of potential but in 2006 RA was the better player.

Ryan Wagner has 3 straight seasons with 15 BR a game and over 30IP, that's a heck of a lot of base runners.

really only the first one. While I am not an RA fan I am more than willing to admit he had a heckuva season, better than EE. EE has a ton of potential but in 2006 RA was the better player.
    Which one is a better bet to repeat or improve upon his performance in 2007 and 2008?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

In some ways. Rich turned out to be DanO's best investment. He was a good guy to have hanging around when holes arose. Plus, the Reds stand to get two draft picks for him. His managers made two unfortunate choices with him that caused deserved consternation:

1) Handing him the SS job over Felipe Lopez prior to the 2005 season
    2) Hitting him cleanup vs. RHPs in 2006

Take those two things away and you probably wouldn't hear much complaint about him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In some ways. Rich turned out to be DanO's best investment. He was a good guy to have hanging around when holes arose. Plus, the Reds stand to get two draft picks for him. His managers made two unfortunate choices with him that caused deserved consternation:

1) Handing him the SS job over Felipe Lopez prior to the 2005 season
    2) Hitting him cleanup vs. RHPs in 2006

Take those two things away and you probably wouldn't hear much complaint about him.
    Lots of folks never really got over the first one. Rich was a marked man from that point on.

Lots of folks never really got over the first one. Rich was a marked man from that point on.
    and he wasn't that good in 2005. 2006 was different and I'll give Rich credit for it. Now give the Reds their draft picks and we can all move on.

Personally, at this moment (late Nov.), I'm disappointed with where we're headed. Unless Krivsky can pull a few more rabbits (Arroyo, Ross, Phillips) out of his hat, I just don't see a way this team can compete in 2007. I'm guessing his Majik has run out, pun intended.

With the destruction of our offense last year, I don't think we'll have a chance unless we get a #1 or #2 starter this winter. With the market the way it is and what we have to offer I don't see that happening unless Dunn is traded. However, if that happens we may go from first to dead last in runs scored (NL) over the course of 2 years. Not good.

2008 offers hope with Milton's contract being gone. Dunn at 13.5 million might be gone too. That's over $20 million to play with. And hopefully Votto and Bailey will be producing at the major league level too.

Like some have said before, you can't fix 15 years of mismanagement in one year. If Wayne makes the right moves this winter we may be good 2008 and beyond. But if he makes one more poor trade (Dunn maybe?), he might set us back until the next decade. We'll see what happens, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    2008 offers hope with Milton's contract being gone. Dunn at 13.5 million might be gone too. That's over $20 million to play with.
    and it won't buy much in the current market, especially a team with multiple holes.

and it won't buy much in the current market, especially a team with multiple holes.
    Exactly. A front office with $20 million to play with isn't going to be able to fill very many holes, especially two years from now if the market keeps growing like crazy. They'll sell fans on the payflex shell game, but in the end the money won't make a difference.

There are fewer holes in the team now than there will be in 2008. Spend now.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

hollywood mid westerner

i hate where this team is headed. its like that chick that you are in love with,flirting you all night and then when the bar is closed she goes home with her roomates.

The Reds are the baseball equivalent of a "flirt"..there I said it.

*fixed*
    Last edited by Patpacillosjock; 11-28-2006 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Dont want to offend kids?

I hate the analogy, especially since there are kids that visit here. I hope the mods delete it ASAP

That said, I do understand your point.

Turn Off Ads?