Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: happy with where we're going?

Re: happy with where we're going?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I have a few concerns with the burn it down idea. I just posted something simular in a different thread so here's the short version.

1) Do we trust our current scouting staff to find the "almost ready" prospects we'll need to count on to be successfull down the road? Wayne's only had since the end of last season to deal with neglect dating back to the mid 1980's.
    I would just have to trust WK and his support staff to make the right decisions, either way "successful down the road" is going to be down the road and in the meantime they will be trying to eek out those "82 wins" as JF has afore mentioned. It is that same staff that will have to be trusted to advise him in the present on the decisions that he makes. One of the pluses on WK's resume was that he had prior scouting experience etc that implied that he would be good at evaluating players.

You mention the barriers and challenges that WK has to deal with, limited revenues that lead to payroll budgeting, "neglect dating back" for a significant time that henders his player resources.

Of course he might have some finds as he did last year in the coming months.

I just thought that JF had laid it out very clear and conscise without skipping other realities.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 11-29-2006 at 11:53 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    That substitution of spending available funds to secure the pitchers when they cost so much in today’s market seems to have a lot of merit. That day is coming and the Harang and Arroyo that we witnessed last year would be very difficult to replace realistically with today's prices for reliable pitchers. Of course I don't know what their "intent" might be, and when you say "lock-up" do you mean contracts longer than three years?
    I guess I'd try to get 4 years. The reds will need these guys to be competitive after the top minor leaguers arrive. We can't honestly expect much from them until 2009. Maybe by then a channce to really compete could make a change. Right now the Reds don't have enough and need to add to what they have. Going out and signing a pitcher for 10+ million per year now seems counterproductive unless these guys are kept around too. I suppose its possible to bring one in now, sign say Harang and wait another year on Arroyo. A large part of his value is his cheap contract. Signing him now would flush that. I think the Reds can do alot if some dead wood is moved like Lohse and Cormier. Next year the Larue residual and Milton money will be available and even lesser guys like Hat will be off the books. If they have money now maybe its one pitcher and a mid-level short contract for a bat now in conjunction with Harang signing. Next year use the Milton and Larue money on Arroyo or a replacement and to fund some raises and to extend Dunn. By then Bailey and Votto should be helping. The following Year Griffey's money will be available.

2009 looks like the time to really compete with an offensive core of Dunn, EE, Votto and Bruce, a defensive core of Phillips, Gonzalez and Deno and a pitching core of Harang, Arroyo and Bailey. With the way the money is shaking out, they could still add another starter IMO. Just don't waste it on another Milton or by keeping guys like Lohse for $5 or $6 Million.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-29-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I guess I'd try to get 4 years. The reds will need these guys to be competitive after the top minor leaguers arrive. We can't honestly expect much from them until 2009. Maybe by then a channce to really compete could make a change. Right now the Reds don't have enough and need to add to what they have. Going out and signing a pitcher for 10+ million per year now seems counterproductive unless these guys are kept around too. I suppose its possible to bring one in now, sign say Harang and wait another year on Arroyo. A large part of his value is his cheap contract. Signing him now would flush that. I think the Reds can do alot if some dead wood is moved like Lohse and Cormier. Next year the Larue residual and Milton money will be available and even lesser guys like Hat will be off the books. If they have money now maybe its one pitcher and a mid-level short contract for a bat now in conjunction with Harang signing. Next year use the Milton and Larue money on Arroyo or a replacement and to fund some raises and to extend Dunn. By then Bailey and Votto should be helping. The following Year Griffey's money will be available.

2009 looks like the time to really compete with an offensive core of Dunn, EE, Votto and Bruce, a defensive core of Phillips, Gonzalez and Deno and a pitching core of Harang, Arroyo and Bailey. With the way the money is shaking out, they could still add another starter IMO. Just don't waste it on another Milton or by keeping guys like Lohse for $5 or $6 Million.
    There is flexibility in thinking it through as you have here, you make some very good points and instill some real possibilities to implement the options.

Turn Off Ads?