Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Adam Eaton signs with Phils. Milton is worth at least $15 million this year...

Adam Eaton signs with Phils. Milton is worth at least $15 million this year...

It's official. The baseball world has gone insane. I honestly believe Milton would sign for more than what he is getting from the Reds if he were to be a free agent this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677728

Free agent pitcher Adam Eaton has reached preliminary agreement on a three-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies worth more than $24 million, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

Adam Eaton
    Starting Pitcher
    Texas Rangers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM W L BB K ERA
    13 7 4 24 43 5.12

The contract includes a mutual option for a fourth year that could bring the overall package to more than $33 million, the source said. The agreement is contingent on Eaton passing a physical exam, and is expected to be announced by the club later this week.

A source told ESPN The Magazine's Amy Nelson that Eaton will make $6.875 million in 2007, $7.635 million in '08, and $8.5 million in '09. He has a $1 million signing bonus and there is a $500,000 buyout of the mutual option for 2010. There are incentives clauses for each year, with $250,000 for 200 innings pitched, and an extra $250,000 if he surpasses 220 each year. He will be in Philadelphia on Tuesday to take a physical.

Phillies GM Pat Gillick flew to Seattle over the weekend to get the deal done. He and Eaton met on Gillick's 38th wedding anniversary.

The only other offer Eaton had was from Seattle. But the Cardinals, Padres and Rockies all showed interest. According to a source, the Rangers never made an official offer to Eaton.

Eaton will join Brett Myers, Cole Hamels, Jamie Moyer and Jon Lieber in the starting rotation for the Phillies, who went 85-77 this season and finished three games out in the National League wild-card hunt. The Phillies signed third baseman Wes Helms to a two-year, $5.45 million deal, but lost out to the Cubs in pursuit of their prime target, outfielder Alfonso Soriano.

Eaton, 29, was Philadelphia's first-round pick and the 11th choice overall in the 1996 June draft. Three years later the Phillies sent him to San Diego in a four-player trade that brought Andy Ashby to Philadelphia.

Eaton is 54-45 with a 4.40 ERA in parts of seven seasons with San Diego and Texas. He has pitched only 193 innings over the past two seasons because of a finger injury, but several clubs were intrigued by his potential if he's able to stay healthy.

Texas, Seattle, St. Louis, Colorado and San Diego were among the other clubs that had expressed interest in Eaton.

The Rangers acquired Eaton, Akinori Otsuka and a minor leaguer from San Diego in a trade for Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez and Terrmel Sledge last January. Eaton underwent surgery in April to repair the tendon in the middle finger of his right hand, and returned to post a 7-4 record with a 5.12 ERA in 13 starts for Texas.

While several prominent free-agent position players have signed contracts this winter, Eaton's deal is the biggest yet by a pitcher.

Randy Wolf, formerly of the Phillies, is also believed to be closing in on a one-year agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Eaton signs with Phils. Milton is worth at least $15 million this year...

I'm not really sure why Eaton is so popular. Low K/9, poor HR rate -- he's easy to hit, and easy to hit hard.

I'd much rather pay the extra $2 million per year and sign Ted Lilly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Re: Adam Eaton signs with Phils. Milton is worth at least $15 million this year...

One would think Wayne could find a taker for Milton's services this offseason. These contracts are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm not really sure why Eaton is so popular. Low K/9, poor HR rate -- he's easy to hit, and easy to hit hard.

I'd much rather pay the extra $2 million per year and sign Ted Lilly.
    Can you imagine what his ERA will do in the NL after being so bad in the American League last year? It might not happen next year but a bunch of pitchers knocked a run or two off of their ERA while moving the other way. I think Phils fans will be doing what we have done the last 2 years when Milton pitches...(ducking)

(Note: I actually thought Milton didn't pitch that bad last year on most of his starts but he still isn't worth half what he makes)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

does this make Gavin Floyd availible?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    does this make Gavin Floyd availible?
    I don't know, but I like the idea of acquiring him. He's still very young and cheap, so I doubt the Phillies will let him go.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If Eaton could stay healthy, he could make a serious assault on Bert Blyleven's HR record.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    One would think Wayne could find a taker for Milton's services this offseason. These contracts are crazy.
    :milton: :all_cohol :dancingco

In that order

Phillies GM Pat Gillick flew to Seattle over the weekend to get the deal done. He and Eaton met on Gillick's 38th wedding anniversary.
    I bet Mrs. Gillick is very impressed. Instead of getting Tourmaline on her anniversary, she gets a pitcher who has trouble keeping the ball in the park.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?