Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Manny might be dealt by Saturday

Manny might be dealt by Saturday

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677627

By Buster Olney
    ESPN The Magazine

The Red Sox are aggressively shopping outfielder Manny Ramirez now, according to major league sources, at a time when the slugger's trade value has peaked, and there is a sense among some executives that their trade talks are gaining momentum.

"I wouldn't be shocked if the Red Sox traded him by Saturday," says one big league official.

By Saturday, Boston's negotiations with free agent outfielder J.D. Drew are expected to finish officially with a multiyear agreement. At that point, Boston will be in better position to trade Ramirez, who has driven in more than 100 runs in each of his six years with the Red Sox, and in 11 of the last 12 seasons. Ramirez has been an extraordinary producer of runs for Boston, and an equally extraordinary producer of melodrama. He has asked for trades repeatedly, has often played at something less than full speed, and at the end of the 2006 season, there was some question about whether he made a full effort to play with a sore knee.

Among the teams involved in the conversations:

• The San Francisco Giants, who might have to involve a third team to become a serious player in this market, or perhaps swallow some of Boston's worst contracts, like that of pitcher Matt Clement.

• The San Diego Padres, who can build a deal around reliever Scott Linebrink.

• The Dodgers, who are starved for power hitters, loaded with prospects and could probably offer the best possible package of youngsters, from third baseman Andy LaRoche to pitcher Chad Billingsley to outfielder Matt Kemp. Before the August 31 trade deadline, the Red Sox tried to pry first baseman James Loney from L.A. in return for pitcher David Wells, but the Dodgers refused. The Red Sox may resume their pursuit of Loney and perhaps relief pitcher Jonathan Broxton.

• The Rangers have had talks about Ramirez, but as recently as last week, the Red Sox still preferred to talk about a swap of shortstop Michael Young for Ramirez -- a deal that almost certainly won't happen.

The Orioles have spoken with the Red Sox about Ramirez recently, but their conversations hadn't advanced in recent days. The Indians and Red Sox talked last week, but those conversations are dead; the cost in salary and prospects were simply too high for the Indians. The Angels and Red Sox had talked in the past about a Manny deal, but those conversations have apparently ended.

Ramirez has 10-and-5 rights and can veto any deal, so the team working on a trade involving him would have to negotiate a settlement with Ramirez to get him to accept the swap.

Executives with other teams say that in order to move Ramirez, Boston will have to come to grips with the idea that they will not get back major league talent equal to that of Ramirez; rather, they might have to settle for a deal much like the Gary Sheffield trade the Yankees made early in November, when they got three pitching prospects from Detroit. There are indications now that Boston's trade demands for Ramirez are dropping, to facilitate a deal. "They seem motivated to move him," said an AL official. Ramirez signed an eight-year, $160 million deal with Boston after the 2000 season, and his contract was considered all but untradeable as recently as six months ago because of an annual salary that approaches $20 million; the Red Sox placed him on waivers after the 2003 season, and nobody was willing to even take him for free at that time.

But the recent salary explosion -- Alfonso Soriano's $136 million deal, Carlos Lee's $100 million contract -- has cast Ramirez and his salary in a different light.

If the Red Sox complete a Ramirez trade, there would be an enormous hole in the Boston lineup. But it may be that the Red Sox have other plans in the works if they gain contractual flexibility with a Ramirez deal, and with the addition of Drew and possible addition of Julio Lugo at shortstop, they might feel like they will still have a deep lineup.

A Ramirez trade may also have an enormous impact on No. 3 hitter David Ortiz. "That guy will draw about 200 walks next year without Manny hitting behind him," said one scout. "I don't care who it is who bats fourth instead of Manny -- J.D. Drew, or Wily Mo Pena, whoever -- he won't be as dangerous as Manny was, because Manny can hit good pitching."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Manny might be dealt by Saturday

Boston will regret that move..

Thought i heard on espn news that manny says he wont/dosent want to play in the N.L.

is it my imagination or is it basically the same 5 or 6 sad sacks that are constantly in the news...it just seems like its manny ramirez,gary sheffield,pedro martinez,bonds either complaining about being disrespected..wanting traded..etc all the time...i have a friend with a 10 year old son who had a brain tumor taken out years ago and to this day still has all sorts of issues....then you hear these guys..just makes you sick

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Boston will regret that move..
    agreed. Manny Ramirez is my favorite baseball player. His contract is feasible (actually borderline bargain these days) and they will NOT be able to replace his bat. JD drew isnt going to protect Ortiz (I can see it now..mike myers coming in to retire both of them with the bases loaded)

Boston fans are so unappreciative. Why on earth would u get rid of him ? for young quailty pitching?? Unless you're Curt Schilling level, a young pitcher (especially if they are coming from the NL) is gonna get owned in Fenway park.

an outfied of Manny, Coco/whoever, and JD drew would be sick.

boston needs to rethink this.

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    is it my imagination or is it basically the same 5 or 6 sad sacks that are constantly in the news...it just seems like its manny ramirez,gary sheffield,pedro martinez,bonds either complaining about being disrespected..wanting traded..etc all the time...i have a friend with a 10 year old son who had a brain tumor taken out years ago and to this day still has all sorts of issues....then you hear these guys..just makes you sick
    Manny has never made a "Fuss" like those others you have mentioned. He quietly asks the FO to trade him but he doesnt throw people under the bus in the media.

Actually I like the way he handles himself. If he doesnt want the media to exploit him he just ignores them and goes on interview hiatus.

Does he get upset when the sox are losing and loses his motivation a bit? sure..most players do.

but relatively speaking, he's been pretty much a saint on that team and his teammates loves him and support him

you cant believe everything the Media says...

Lets see, the BoSox don't want Manny because he costs a lot (like $38M alot). The Dodgers would not only be willing to take on his salary but they'd be so grateful that they'd send some of their best prospects to Boston ????

I'm being facetious but doesn't that seem kind of absurd??????

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Lets see, the BoSox don't want Manny because he costs a lot (like $38M alot). The Dodgers would not only be willing to take on his salary but they'd be so grateful that they'd send some of their best prospects to Boston ????

I'm being facetious but doesn't that seem kind of absurd??????
    it just occurd to me..had Bill Mueller not retired the dodgers would be the 2004 Red Sox:

Grady Little, Lowe, Nomar, Manny, and Mueller (ret.)

thats absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    Boston fans are so unappreciative.
    That's totally unfair. Boston fans love Manny, they always have, they don't want Manny traded. Manny wants Manny traded, he has since the day he got there.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    That's totally unfair. Boston fans love Manny, they always have, they don't want Manny traded. Manny wants Manny traded, he has since the day he got there.
    since the day he got there? then why did he sign that contract? he was acquired via free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    it just occurd to me..had Bill Mueller not retired the dodgers would be the 2004 Red Sox:

Grady Little, Lowe, Nomar, Manny, and Mueller (ret.)

thats absurd.
    More like '03, but Red Sox fans were calling them the Blue Sox this year. Meanwhile, the Padres were even more loaded with former Red Sox this year: Dave Roberts, Josh Bard, Cla Meredith, Scott Cassidy, Mark Bellhorn, Todd Walker, Doug Mirabelli, David Wells, Scott Williamson, Rudy Seanez, and Alan Embree.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I doubt there is a batting order in the majors that wouldn't be better with the addition of Manny...

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    More like '03, but Red Sox fans were calling them the Blue Sox this year. Meanwhile, the Padres were even more loaded with former Red Sox this year: Dave Roberts, Josh Bard, Cla Meredith, Scott Cassidy, Mark Bellhorn, Todd Walker, Doug Mirabelli, David Wells, Scott Williamson, Rudy Seanez, and Alan Embree.
    woops your right..2003..

I wouldnt count Bard, Meredith, Cassidy or Seanez as true Red Sox..they were only there for a very short period of time or still coming up thru the minors.

but u make a good point.

Turn Off Ads?