Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cubs offer $45 million to Schmidt

Cubs offer $45 million to Schmidt

The Cubs are not done spending money. They have made a 3 year $45 million dollar offer to Jason Schmidt.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ubs/index.html

The Cubs, anxious to steal the winter and maybe the summer, too, are now pursuing star free-agent pitcher Jason Schmidt, SI.com has learned. The Cubs already have spent $239 million on free agents (including the $10 million they used for new manager Lou Piniella), and two high-ranking baseball people said they are bidding about $45 million over three years for Schmidt in attempt to lure him away from the West Coast.

It may not be easy in his case. The Yankees showed interest in Schmidt several days ago but were told that he didn't want to move all the away across the country, to New York.

The Mariners and Dodgers are seen as the favorites for Schmidt, the longtime San Francisco Giant who is from Washington state. Seattle has stated its desire to land one frontline starter, if not two. The Dodgers just signed Randy Wolf to a one-year, $8-million deal and are negotiating with Greg Maddux, who's drawing interest from San Diego, as well.

The Cubs, obviously hungry to break their streak of not winning the World Series since 1908, made the biggest score so far this winter when they signed Alfonso Soriano for $136 million over eight years. But they haven't stopped there.

Pitching is the Cubs' stated priority now, and Schmidt is one of two No. 1-type starters on the free agent market, along with left-hander Barry Zito. The Cubs have previously been reported to have interest in Gil Meche.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Cubs offer $45 million to Schmidt

mind boggling.

Schmidt has only twice won more than 13 games, and has won only 23 in the last 2 years. His value seems to be his dependability; he's not often hurt.

I'm speechless; I wouldn't spend Milton money on Schmidt, at this point in his career, much less double that.

The Cubs are on their way to surpassing the Yankees for top payroll. They should know that doesn't guarantee a World Series.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm getting pretty anxious to find out how the Cubs lose it next year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

They're still the Cubs.

I don't buy into curses or anything, but c'mon, it's the Cubs. They are baby bears, not ferocious beasts, they might bite you and scare you for a second, but unless they bring momma bear and poppa bear I'm not scared of the teeny, tiny Cubbies.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    mind boggling.

Schmidt has only twice won more than 13 games, and has won only 23 in the last 2 years. His value seems to be his dependability; he's not often hurt.

I'm speechless; I wouldn't spend Milton money on Schmidt, at this point in his career, much less double that.
    Are you serious? Forget about wins. He has started 29 games in each of the last 5 years. Posted a career 3.91 ERA, which he has only touched once in the last six years. He gives up a many fewer hits than IP, while K'ing about the same as IP in the last 5 years. This guy is a stud.

The only question is that he is 33, but I'd offer him this much money based on what other players are getting (maybe not if I were the Reds with a limited budget, but for teams that are willing to spend, I do not think this is a bad deal).

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Wayne should match that.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Are you serious? Forget about wins. He has started 29 games in each of the last 5 years. Posted a career 3.91 ERA, which he has only touched once in the last six years. He gives up a many fewer hits than IP, while K'ing about the same as IP in the last 5 years. This guy is a stud.

The only question is that he is 33, but I'd offer him this much money based on what other players are getting (maybe not if I were the Reds with a limited budget, but for teams that are willing to spend, I do not think this is a bad deal).
    $45 million for three years? Are you serious?

If he can get that, good for him; but I think he'd be grossly overpaid, and I wouldn't want the Reds shelling out that kind of money for him, when we have two guys who I think are already better than Schmidt. He's no stud in my book, but that's my opinion; and I do respect your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it as well.

Since when do wins mean nothing for starting pitchers? Lack of wins can reflect either crappy offensive support, a problem with getting the game safely into the hands of the bullpen, or a crappy bullpen which is blowing saves.

I understand there are other important indicators as you stated, but I'll stand by my opinion. I'd love to have Schmidt on this staff, but not at that outrageous cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Since when do wins mean nothing for starting pitchers? Lack of wins can reflect either crappy offensive support, a problem with getting the game safely into the hands of the bullpen, or a crappy bullpen which is blowing saves.
    You just made an argument against yourself. Wins rely on too many external factors to be an accurate indicator of a pitcher's abilities.

Jeff Suppan and Jason Marquis each won more games than Jason Schmidt last season. That should tell you all you need to know about Wins.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I was an undergrad in business school not too long after the RJR - KKR merger debacle went down. Somewhere I remember a line from one of the executives (either a book or in a class lecture) that went something like this:

"If we piss away $800 million on Sealand Shipping, we'll be less susceptible to a takeover."

That executive is obviously now employed in the Cubs' front office.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Wayne should match that.

Yep. Life gets really good when you have 3 starters going 200 quality innings.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    You just made an argument against yourself. Wins rely on too many external factors to be an accurate indicator of a pitcher's abilities.

Jeff Suppan and Jason Marquis each won more games than Jason Schmidt last season. That should tell you all you need to know about Wins.
    Just ask Clemens as an Astro.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Wayne should match that.
    even if he had the money there are very large issues with that (like zero chance of signing Harang after giving that deal).

I would guess that it will not take in the $17-20M a year range to sign Zambrano if they give that deal to Schmidt. Nothing is ever done in a vacuum.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Cubbies are gonna be dangerous next season.
    woo woo woo, you know it

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101 View Post
    Cubbies are gonna be dangerous next season.
    If they sign Schmidt. He hasn't signed yet.

Turn Off Ads?