Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jovan Morgan and Dickerson

Jovan Morgan and Dickerson

Lost track of him. Anyone know where he is most likely to start next year? Thought he had good speed on the basepaths and good defensively I was just curious if he is progressing at all. Also there was a kid with the last name Dickerson who played at Dayton not last year but the year before. I was impressed with Dickerson's speed and range in the outfield and athletic ability. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Jovan Morgan and Dickerson

Chris Dickerson is probably who you are thinking of. Both played last season in AA Chattanooga. Javon Moran hit .323, Dickerson hit .242, but had a very good second half, hitting .279/.424/.566. I think Moran probably starts in AAA, but it wouldnt surprise me if Dickerson started back in AA.

Thanks. I saw your other thread Doug about Morgan being a better corner outfielder than CF and Bruce vice verca. I'm wondering if could both be starting in Cincy in a couple of years. Moran seems to fit the contact/speed/def. player that Krivsky seems to value. They say if a player can hit double a pitching than he can hit major league pitching.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 11-29-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Jay Bruce will be starting in Cincinnati one day. The kid is just a pure hitter. There may be 3 or 4 better hitters in the minors, but thats it in my opinion. Javon Moran is a guy who has done nothing but hit over .320 since he became a Red. I think he is one who has more of a problem getting to Cincinnati... mainly becuase he comes off in the Chris Denorfia mold. He doesnt do anything really well, nothing that a scout will see and go 'wow'. He is a solid hitter with solid defense in the corners. He has very little power though, and for someone who plays in the corners, that is not really good. He could be a very good 4th outfielder, but I think he could start if needed. He isnt someone you look to build around though.

If I had to guess, I think both start season in AA. I think AAA is going to be the Norris Hoppers and Dwayne Wise's of the world.

Not many outfielders from Sarasota will be pushing them. Strait maybe.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-29-2006 at 11:19 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If I had to guess, I think both start season in AA. I think AAA is going to be the Norris Hoppers and Dwayne Wise's of the world.

I would not be suprised to see a quick promotion or two for Stubbs this year since he is coming out of college and not high school. If he has a solid year at the plate he may end up in Chattanooga before it's all said and done.

I hope Stubbs does well enough to go Dayton, Sarasota, Chatta in one year!!!
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I hope Stubbs does well enough to go Dayton, Sarasota, Chatta in one year!!!
    It would take a HUGE improvement over his first year just to get to Sarasota in 2007.

BRM, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Stubbs were to start the season in Sarasota. No need to start a college hitter in the Midwest League. Brandon Roberts was a 7th round pick out of the 2004 draft and went from Billings to Sarasota....I would imagine Stubbs could follow the same type of plan.

No harm intended... but is this Harry Carey? Worst pronunciation of Javon Moran ever.

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment, although you might be right about starting the season, but if either one is tearing up AA, I think Wayne K. will move them up to Louisville, spare parts notwithstanding. At least once, I've heard WK comment that AAA exists as part of the process and while you need servicable players there to fill in slots at the ML level, I don't think they're going to keep someone down at a lower level if they're ready to move up.

[NB - I'm not say that's an ironclad rule, but I distinctly feel that we're going to see a restoration of the AAA level as part of development, not the spare parts depot]

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    BRM, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Stubbs were to start the season in Sarasota. No need to start a college hitter in the Midwest League. Brandon Roberts was a 7th round pick out of the 2004 draft and went from Billings to Sarasota....I would imagine Stubbs could follow the same type of plan.
    Good point. He could make it Chattanooga in 2007 if he starts in Sarasota. Of course, he'd have to rake to get that promotion. I'll be pulling for him but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree there BRM....his bat leaves a lot to be desired but I think sometimes we overplay what someone does in rookie ball. Time will tell how he does I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would hope he starts there as well.

I meant that Roberts was a 2005 7th rounder and went from his first year in the Pioneer league and skipped over the MWL and jumped to the FSL. Typo on that one.

Turn Off Ads?