Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zito seeks 15 million a year

Zito seeks 15 million a year

http://www.mlb4u.com/rumor.php?order=date&spec=DESC

Barry Zito, LHSP--Oakland Athletics: The Yankees, Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers, Cardinals, Angels, Padres, Mets and Red Sox are among 12-15 teams that are interested. The Dodgers say they will not pursue him. He is interested in playing for 8 of those teams, including the LA teams and the Padres. Mets have made him their top target. He is seeking 7-years, $105M. Rangers will be willing to give him $75M. Angels have made an offer.

If the Reds were on Zito's "wish list" what would be your best/max offer to Zito, if you even went after him?

I personally probably wouldn't offer much over 10 million a year bcause my gut says he'd be disasterous in the GABP. 15 million is a lot for a soft lefty.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Zito seeks 15 million a year

It's not the dollars that bother me as much as the length of the contract he's seeking. Seven years is just absurd. He may not get that but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get six. I wouldn't offer anything longer than four. And thus, I wouldn't be signing Zito.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    http://www.mlb4u.com/rumor.php?order=date&spec=DESC

Barry Zito, LHSP--Oakland Athletics: The Yankees, Cubs, Rangers, Dodgers, Cardinals, Angels, Padres, Mets and Red Sox are among 12-15 teams that are interested. The Dodgers say they will not pursue him. He is interested in playing for 8 of those teams, including the LA teams and the Padres. Mets have made him their top target. He is seeking 7-years, $105M. Rangers will be willing to give him $75M. Angels have made an offer.

If the Reds were on Zito's "wish list" what would be your best/max offer to Zito, if you even went after him?

I personally probably wouldn't offer much over 10 million a year bcause my gut says he'd be disasterous in the GABP. 15 million is a lot for a soft lefty.

I agree with your last statement. He would be Miltonized here. He is a fly ball pitcher with some control issues. I think he would be a disaster here. My max offer would be 3 years for 10 mil total.

no way I give the guy more than 4 years.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Four years plus two mutual option years.

He'll have a tough time getting any more than that, because contracts longer than three years are very difficult to insure.
    Makes all the routine posts.

with the Reds luck, he will sign with the Cardinals!!..

I share the same opinions as those stated above. I'd like to have him, but not on a 7 year deal.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I'd rather sign a 15 million Zito than bid 26 million or 51 million to work out a deal and than on top of that spend 8-15 million a year on the player.

I'd rather have Vicente Padilla over the next 4 years than Barry Zito -- given equal salaries.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The long years increase the risk so much, anything can happen to a player.

I personally think Zito is basically a very expensive innings eater. Currently, xFIP is probably the best predictor of future performance for a starter and Zito's have been very pedestrian ('04: 5.04; '05: 4.61; '06: 5.46).

The interesting thing is his '06 ERA was the lowest this season, his contract year, compared to the previous two even though his xFIP ranked him as the third worst in the AL among qualifying pitchers in '06. Oakland wasn't a particularly good defensive team either.

My curiosity is piqued so to try and investigate a little further, I took a look at his rate stats. Here they are for '06:

BB%: 10.5
    K%: 16.0
    GB%: 27.0
    FB%: 32.0
    LD%: 11.6
    HR/FB: 9.0
    LOB%: 79

Basically his BB% was atrocious and his K% rate was below average so those jive with his xFIP. His GB% FB% indicate he had flyball tendencies, also no suprise there though his GO/AO wasn't as bad as his career average. Interestingly though, his HR rate was 9.0 which is about 1 lower than league average and the best he's posted over the '04-'06. That would help a flyball pitcher obviously. But the most striking rate stat was LOB%. Zito's LOB% was 79% in '06. That's pretty amazing given 70 or so is around average. It was not only high relative to the league but it was also about 6% higher than each of his previous two seasons. Now a few words about HR/FB and LOB%. Neither keeping flyballs in the park nor stranding guys are considered repeatable skills. Generally HR/FB will be around 10.5 and deviations from that figure tend to regress back to the norm for pitchers. Zito's LOB% is very high for him (or anybody) and its difficult to imagine him repeating it-at least consistently and especially over a 7 year contract.

A case could be made that Zito had a bad year in '06 and it was completely masked by a healthy dose of luck in the form of a large, positive swing in a non-repeatable skill.

And for it, someone will give him 7 years at $15M per!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd rather have Vicente Padilla over the next 4 years than Barry Zito -- given equal salaries.
    Really? I am no scout but I would say a lot of people would disagree.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Let's see, six straight 200+ IP seasons and a career 3.55 ERA. In the latest Elias rankings he placed 12th among all starters in MLB.

Yeah, wouldn't want anything to do with a guy like that.

I'd suggest he's doing something right and that he has been for quite some time now.

I don't know that I'd vouch for him repeating his last six seasons over the next six seasons, but he'll be ages 29-34 over that stretch and plenty of pitchers do just fine at that age (in fact it tends to be a very good age for southpaws who are tough on RH hitters, which Zito has traditionally been, though not as much over the last two seasons).

He's expensive and, no, he's not Johan Santana, but he'd completely alter the DNA of the franchise, which I'd argue is a good thing. I chalk it up to being one of those potentially exciting things that won't happen.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I see a Tanyon Sturtz or John Halama deal being reported any day now.

and it burns my brain.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Zito is skating on the knife's edge of effectiveness and his extreme FB tendencies would make him a poor fit for GABP. Just because he has been effective(at most times) for the last 6 years doesn't mean he will be moving forward. In fact, his skill set(high BB, low K, high FB rate) rather suggests that he won't unless he is matched with the right park and and OF defense.

Turn Off Ads?