Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio Smoking Ban Covers Stadiums

Ohio Smoking Ban Covers Stadiums

from the Enquirer:

Smoking ban covers stadiums
    BY CLIFF PEALE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    The Hamilton County Prosecutor’s office today advised the Bengals and Reds to ban smoking completely in Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ball Park as a result of the smoking ban passed by Ohio voters earlier this month.

The ban will take effect Dec. 7, and the teams had requested guidance on how they should respond. Both the stadiums currently have designated smoking areas in concourses or stairs, and they felt the impact of the law on those areas was unclear. Smoking already is prohibited in the seating bowl of both stadiums.

In an e-mail sent this morning, Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Nee Fong Chin advised the county to prohibit smoking, post no-smoking signs with a telephone number to report violations and remove all ashtrays or other receptacles. The county owns both stadiums.

“The smoking policy you sent me for PBS already prohibits smoking in many areas,” she wrote. “The law will now prohibit smoking on open-air stair landings, open ramps in designated areas if visitors can be influenced by second-hand smoke. Smoking will be prohibited in suites.”

Since the Bengals are in the midst of their home schedule, the prosecutor's opinion would have a more immediate effect than it has on the Reds, he said. The team's first home game after the law takes effect is Dec. 10 vs. the Oakland Raiders.

The Ohio Department of Health will develop rules, and the Cincinnati Health Department probably will end up enforcing the law and levying any penalties. The law covers any business with employees. It does not cover outdoor areas but bans smoking "immediately adjacent to the doorway."
    E-mail cpeale@enquirer.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio Smoking Ban Covers Stadiums

Why don't they just get it over with and put a "make smoking illeagal" issue on the ballot?

I'm all for smoking bans in indoor public settings, but to say someone can't smoke outside is a little excessive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a designated smoking area on the concourse of an outdoor stadium.

My guess is by the time Opening Day rolls around it will be different.
    Last edited by guttle11; 11-29-2006 at 05:00 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I don't see what's wrong with allwoing smoking in bars/bowling alley type places....kind of goes with the territory

I've been at PBS and encountered the putrid cloud that arises from masses of concentrated, huddled smokers...

I'm cool wit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with allwoing smoking in bars/bowling alley type places....kind of goes with the territory
    Unless you happen to work in said establishment.

I'm willing to bet that the patronage of bars and clubs actually *increases* as a result of the ban. The DC smoking ban goes into effect on January 1, and I know that we'll be going out much more frequently than we are since we won't have to come back reeking of stale tobacco smoke.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

It's a good thing Marge isn't around. She'd have a fit.

After Riverfront became smoke-free, she'd come sailing down from her private box to her front row seats just a puffin' away. And sometimes the crowd would chant "smoke, smoke, smoke" and she would make a big show of putting out her cigarette.

Pay attention to the open sky

this is great news to me...i can't stand being around smoke...all because it's outdoors, doesn't mean it doesn't smack you right in the face when walking by it...and there's always someone who has to go beyond the designated areas...

unfortunately, i don't think my friend will be making the trip with me anymore, since he's the type that has to have at least four or five smoke breaks during a game...

I don't see anything wrong with trying to keep the smoke away from others and causing some of us that do smoke to stop while we are out in public with no idea about other people's health issues that might be adversely affected by our smoke unbeknownst to us.

First trip to GABP this summer: a friend of mine, who now lives in Seattle, returns to his seat both aghast and gleeful of what he has just seen, which was a fight on the concourse that had broken out when one man was talking wildly with his hands and nailed an 8-year-old kid in the eye with his cigarette.

"Watch what the hell you're doing!"
    "Tell your kid to watch where the he'll he's going!"

He still tells this story constantly. The next day we got stuck in a parade of hummers on our way to Chicago. We counted 65 of them. Good times.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    First trip to GABP this summer: a friend of mine, who now lives in Seattle, returns to his seat both aghast and gleeful of what he has just seen, which was a fight on the concourse that had broken out when one man was talking wildly with his hands and nailed an 8-year-old kid in the eye with his cigarette.

"Watch what the hell you're doing!"
    "Tell your kid to watch where the he'll he's going!"

Now that's not good. Careless smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with trying to keep the smoke away from others and causing some of us that do smoke to stop while we are out in public with no idea about other people's health issues that might be adversely affected by our smoke unbeknownst to us.
    that's very considerate of you sf...i wish more people were like you...

my ma has emphazema and as a result, the least bit of smoke (from candles, cigarettes, burning leaves, etc) or even people with too much cologne or perfume on can set her off...there have been many times where we've had to leave a restaurant or even an outdoor event due to carry over smoke...

one thing that really annoys me with designated smoking areas, is when you go into an establishment and all the employees are right outside the front door smoking...tacky tacky tacky...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It's a good thing Marge isn't around. She'd have a fit.

After Riverfront became smoke-free, she'd come sailing down from her private box to her front row seats just a puffin' away. And sometimes the crowd would chant "smoke, smoke, smoke" and she would make a big show of putting out her cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Regardless whether smoking is allowed or not, that looks like GABP during September home games ...

... except when the Cubs are in town, of course.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    As much as I usually dispise government regulation of private lives -- I have to admit, I personally can't wait until I can go out on a Friday night and not have my laundry basket smelling like an ashtray and stinking the room up.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    that's very considerate of you sf...i wish more people were like you...

my ma has emphazema and as a result, the least bit of smoke (from candles, cigarettes, burning leaves, etc) or even people with too much cologne or perfume on can set her off...there have been many times where we've had to leave a restaurant or even an outdoor event due to carry over smoke...

one thing that really annoys me with designated smoking areas, is when you go into an establishment and all the employees are right outside the front door smoking...tacky tacky tacky...
    I appreciate your kind response, though much to my chagrin now, it took me a long time to realize and to become cognizant that our smoking does affect others, it also can have tangible and intangible cost factors for everyone.

Oddly enough I cannot stand the smoke from other smokers in close proximity.

I am sorry to read about your mother as I can relate to her condition and know first hand how the list that you have shared does hinder the ability to breath and interfere with the quality of life for others. I voted for the bans in Ohio, there are just some things more important than my own personal addictions

Turn Off Ads?