Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio Smoking Ban Covers Stadiums

Re: Ohio Smoking Ban Covers Stadiums

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Each individual can use their own free choice to decide if they want to work or spend leisure time at an establishment.
    I just don't think there's much "choice" in smoking. You may choose to smoke when you're 16, but the tobacco companies pretty much makre sure your choice becomes automatic once you've started.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I just don't think there's much "choice" in smoking. You may choose to smoke when you're 16, but the tobacco companies pretty much makre sure your choice becomes automatic once you've started.
    Back in the day they used to stand on the bridge between downtown and Riverfront on game day and hand out little sample packs of smokes with like 4-5 cigarettes in them. There would be boxes of them stacked on the side of the walkway with pretty girls handing them out to anyone who wanted them.

California has had a similar smoking ban for years and business is just fine, thank you very much. And, the smokers have learned to live with it. (Pun intended.)

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm making me up a bumper sticker that says....

THIS CAR SMOKES INSIDE AND OUT
    Aw shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    California has had a similar smoking ban for years and business is just fine, thank you very much. And, the smokers have learned to live with it. (Pun intended.)

Rem
    One of the best days in my life was the day that law kicked in.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    One of the best days in my life was the day that law kicked in.
    Much the way I will feel about Ohio's. To be able to go to a club and not wind up with a sinus infection for it.....priceless.

I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to smoke in designated outdoor areas on Stadium concourses but I am fully in favor of a total smoking ban in any public building whether it be a courthouse, a restaurant or a bar.

Smokers don't have the right to infringe on the health of others.

Plus what's the deal with all you folks who think the world is your ashtray and just throw your used butts on the ground? Do you have any idea how ignorant and disgusting that is?
    Last edited by pedro; 11-30-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    Much the way I will feel about Ohio's. To be able to go to a club and not wind up with a sinus infection for it.....priceless.
    Hear, hear. And DC's...which kicks in on January 1. My wife and I can't wait.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

This former smoker is thrilled about the ban.

I, too, can't wait to spend a night on the town without having my eyes water, my nostrils burn, my lungs hack, my hair stink, and my clothes become hazmat zones.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    This former smoker is thrilled about the ban.

I, too, can't wait to spend a night on the town without having my eyes water, my nostrils burn, my lungs hack, my hair stink, and my clothes become hazmat zones.
    Yep... and I too once puffed away and blew it out and said " Tough crap for them."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep... and I too once puffed away and blew it out and said " Tough crap for them."
    But now you guys are saying the same thing, just directed the other way.

As I've said before, basing the legislation on health concerns is one thing, and I'm fine with that. But I don't agree with legislation limiting smokers' rights because they're an inconvenience to non-smokers.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Yet, no one dies from it or gets sick, personally smoke makes me feel ill, so tough crap is what I say.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

As I've said before, basing the legislation on health concerns is one thing, and I'm fine with that. But I don't agree with legislation limiting smokers' rights because they're an inconvenience to non-smokers.
    An inconvenience is one thing....compromising someone else's health is another. I'm not sure how I feel about the stadium thing, they probably could have just done a better job at designating the smoking areas...the top of the stairs that everone else is using was never a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    But I don't agree with legislation limiting smokers' rights because they're an inconvenience to non-smokers.
    Nudists engage in an objectionable activity (and if you've seen any of them, you know I speak the truth ), so we make laws telling them to cover up.

Smokers engage in objectionable behavior, so we make laws telling them to take it elsewhere.

Same thing. If you're bothersome, you should expect to be asked to knock it off. That's what society is doing. It's shushing the loud talker in the library. If that person really needs to talk, he can go outside and do it without irritating the rest of us who are minding our own business.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Personally, I think its just selfishness.

I don't smoke. My wife can't really handle smoke. We don't hang around at BW3s because of this.

Sure we might head to BW3s once in awhile now ... but to me its not worth gaining that "Freedom" since it extracted from my friends and neighbors by force.

I'll be happy to support the removal of motorcyles, bicycles, etc from our roadways as they are a nuisance as they are hard to see. They are all over the roads and I can't avoid being near them. They make me nervous.

Just put it on the ballot, I'll be voting out of spite.

GL

Turn Off Ads?