Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: RedsZone members need prozac

  1. #1
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,572

    RedsZone members need prozac

    What is with all the negativity? It seems like 10-20% of posters have realistic expectations of what 2007+ will bring and 80-90% of posters are serious 'negative Nellies'. Whine. *****. Moan. Lament. 200 posts each time we sign a vet to be an emergancy backup in AAA.

    The Reds have gone in ONE year from being in the same class as the Pirates or Royals to being on the verge of contending for the playoffs.
    Our 80-82 season wasn't great but it was a step in the right direction.
    We are building a solid team. Not just to sniff the playoffs once every five years but a team that can contend yearly.

    Yes we need another couple pitchers ( don't most teams ) but look at what we DO have:
    A solid 1-2 punch of Arroyo & Harang.
    The #1 pitching prospect in baseball waiting to join the rotation.
    Four young relievers & 2 vets to help stabilize the pen for 2007.
    Votto, Phillips, EE, Dunn & Deno are all young.
    Bruce ( another top ten prospect ) will arrive in 2008 or 2009.
    The low levels of the farm system are well stocked.

    Krisky has NOT taken on any awful contracts that will cripple us going forward. Milton is gone after 2007. Griffey after 2008.

    Krisky has NOT traded a single top prospect.

    Folks the future is bright. Cheer up!
    .

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,749

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    200 posts each time we sign a vet to be an emergancy backup in AAA.
    You have missed the point of everyone's complaining about the Moeller move.

    Based on the reports, it doesn't seem that he was signed to be an emergency back-up in AAA. If that were the case, few would have a problem with it since it would be a ho-hum move that every organization does during the off-season.

    However, it seems that he was given a major league contract, guaranteeing him in the neighborhood of $500,000. Is it a big deal? No, but he's basically a useless player that deserves no better than a MLC, not a guaranteed deal, especially when we already have 2 catchers on the big league club.

    Generally you are right, this board can be a tad melodramatic sometimes (understatement of the year), but if you are going to instegate what will likely be a pissing match, I suggest you get all your facts straight.

  4. #3
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,614

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    However, it seems that he was given a major league contract, guaranteeing him in the neighborhood of $500,000. Is it a big deal? No, but he's basically a useless player that deserves no better than a MLC, not a guaranteed deal, especially when we already have 2 catchers on the big league club.

    Generally you are right, this board can be a tad melodramatic sometimes (understatement of the year), but if you are going to instegate what will likely be a pissing match, I suggest you get all your facts straight.
    Not to start a pissing match, but you are implying that your opinion is a fact and suggesting to the original poster that he should get those "facts" straight before posting. I think we are all entitled to our opinion, but implying that a personal opinion is a fact is what gets pissing matches started here.

  5. #4
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    It seems like 10-20% of posters have realistic expectations of what 2007+
    I am not clear on what the realistic expectations are for those 10-20%.

  6. #5
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,749

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Not to start a pissing match, but you are implying that your opinion is a fact and suggesting to the original poster that he should get those "facts" straight before posting. I think we are all entitled to our opinion, but implying that a personal opinion is a fact is what gets pissing matches started here.
    Well everything that I read suggests that he was given a major league contract, and that's not what Will M said at all. That's the reason everyone is angry at the Moeller signing. The fact is, he was not signed to be a "back-up emergency catcher in AAA", not the opinion that he is useless.

  7. #6
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Re: realistic expectations

    For 2007: The Reds will field a decent team. Not great. Not terrible.

    For 2008: Bailey, Votto & maybe Bruce in the majors the team starts their yearly playoff quests. Plus Milton is off the books.

    For 2009: Other prospects ( currently in the low minors ) start arriving. Plus Griffey is off the books.
    .

  8. #7
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,749

    Re: realistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    For 2007: The Reds will field a decent team. Not great. Not terrible.

    For 2008: Bailey, Votto & maybe Bruce in the majors the team starts their yearly playoff quests. Plus Milton is off the books.

    For 2009: Other prospects ( currently in the low minors ) start arriving. Plus Griffey is off the books.
    This is all assuming Bruce, Votto, and Bailey all reach their ceilings. For the Reds to be yearly play-off contenders, those 3 players will have to be awfully good. They have the potential, but the odds are that they all wont be the superstars they are cracked up to be.

  9. #8
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    What is with all the negativity? It seems like 10-20% of posters have realistic expectations of what 2007+ will bring and 80-90% of posters are serious 'negative Nellies'. Whine. *****. Moan. Lament. 200 posts each time we sign a vet to be an emergancy backup in AAA.

    The Reds have gone in ONE year from being in the same class as the Pirates or Royals to being on the verge of contending for the playoffs.
    Our 80-82 season wasn't great but it was a step in the right direction.
    We are building a solid team. Not just to sniff the playoffs once every five years but a team that can contend yearly.

    Yes we need another couple pitchers ( don't most teams ) but look at what we DO have:
    A solid 1-2 punch of Arroyo & Harang.
    The #1 pitching prospect in baseball waiting to join the rotation.
    Four young relievers & 2 vets to help stabilize the pen for 2007.
    Votto, Phillips, EE, Dunn & Deno are all young.
    Bruce ( another top ten prospect ) will arrive in 2008 or 2009.
    The low levels of the farm system are well stocked.

    Krisky has NOT taken on any awful contracts that will cripple us going forward. Milton is gone after 2007. Griffey after 2008.

    Krisky has NOT traded a single top prospect.

    Folks the future is bright. Cheer up!
    I understand your point of view and I mean no harm but it scares me. When you make statements like the Reds went 80-82 in 2006 while you aren't mistaken it is VERY misleading. The Reds played way above their heads in 2006 and using the Pythagorean W-L the Reds should've finished at 76-86. Given the fact that the NL was weakest it will probably ever be and that the Reds need to either add or subtract 50 runs to get to .500 it's nothing but a mirage. Not to mention the fact that Krivsky has shown terrible player evaluations whether it be with the draft or with trades. I'm truthfully a realist and the future is not looking pretty unless Krivsky can find 2 Johan Santana's on the Rule 5 Draft this year. To make an analogy this year for the Reds is like a mirage of Lake Superior in the middle of Death Valley. The casual Reds fan is like a person who would sell all their possessions to capitalize on an opportunity to find out when you get there it's nothing but sand. Next year you'll be back with a thread and blame on the team's problems on Adam Dunn (if he isn't traded straight up for a slick-fielding utility man) or something else trivial when the problems are much deeper. I think one of the biggest problems with society is inability to accept the truth. If you choose not to accept the truth now, you'll be forced come the 2007 season.

  10. #9
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,747

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Gimme my pills!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  11. #10
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: realistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    For 2007: The Reds will field a decent team. Not great. Not terrible.

    For 2008: Bailey, Votto & maybe Bruce in the majors the team starts their yearly playoff quests. Plus Milton is off the books.

    For 2009: Other prospects ( currently in the low minors ) start arriving. Plus Griffey is off the books.
    Dunn and Arroyo will also be "off the books" and Harang will finish his arb years and be ready for free agency after 2008.

    You should factor those items into your realistic expectations.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  12. #11
    Member Redny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,357

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Virtually all message boards are negative. Anytime I want to know the possible negatives of a deal or signing I check the boards. If I want a worse case scenario I check the boards. If I am frustrated with how the team is going I check the boards to prepare me for how much more may go wrong. If the team is doing well and I need to be reminded that it won't last I check the boards. For the most part it helps me deal with my overly optimistic view of things and keeps me from expecting too much of the Reds.

  13. #12
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: realistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    For 2007: The Reds will field a decent team. Not great. Not terrible.
    I don't consider any team who finishes under .500 to be "decent." And to this point, the Reds haven't improved at all from 2006. What is leading you to believe that they will be better?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  14. #13
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,625

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    RedsZone members need prozac
    IMO Xanax would be more fun.

  15. #14
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    27,944

    Re: RedsZone members need prozac

    Threads where folks note that Redszone has spent too much time on something having to do with the Reds or baseball is where I trot out the old saw that Redszone is for people who want to talk too much about stuff having to do with the Reds or baseball.

    If you don't want to read a cell-by-cell dissection of all things having to do with the Chad Moeller signing then don't open the ever expanding Chad Moeller thread. We're not just fans. We're fanatics. We care more. I'd worry if the Reds made a move and it passed with barely any comment.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  16. #15
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,572

    OK, forget Moeller

    The signing of Moeller is not the point of my post. The point of my post is that pessimism runs rampant on RedsZone. Why? What happened to the day when Reds fans dreamed about the BEST case scenarios developing and not the worst? Is it because of years of ineptitude? Is it self selection based on who hangs out of message boards? why is everyone so down on the Reds?
    .


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25