Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clayton signs with Blue Jays

Clayton signs with Blue Jays

TORONTO — The Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a $1.5 million, one-year contract with shortstop Royce Clayton.
    Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said Wednesday that he wanted to sign a shortstop and that he planned on having Aaron Hill play second base.
    “He is a veteran presence that will strengthen us up the middle and in the clubhouse,” Ricciardi said.
    Clayton hit .258 with two homers and 40 RBIs for Washington and Cincinnati last season. His deal also would include performance bonuses.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Clayton signs with Blue Jays

Who took over J.P. Ricciardi's body?
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

:smirk: - Suckers.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Look on the bright side. Krivsky won't be tempted to sign him now. Power of positive thinking and all...
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Who took over J.P. Ricciardi's body?
    No one. Because he used to hang around Billy Beane people thought he knew what he was doing. He's been proving that notion wrong since the day he took over as GM in Toronto.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

What blows my mind is that they signed him as a STARTER. Absolutely insane. They'd be much better off signing Aurilia as their starting SS... Fine. I hope we can re-sign Rich to do the same spot starting in the infield.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    His deal also would include performance bonuses.
    Ha! Don't think he will be reaching those, don't care what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No one. Because he used to hang around Billy Beane people thought he knew what he was doing. He's been proving that notion wrong since the day he took over as GM in Toronto.
    The apple has fallen far from the tree, rolled down the hill, come to rest on a muddy river bank and been eaten by rabid badgers.

Forgive me; it's late and I should be sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    What blows my mind is that they signed him as a STARTER.
    That's what's implied, but I don't buy it. I'm not going to put money on it or promise to eat my hat or anything, but I don't believe it for a second. $1.5M doesn't exactly scream "free agent starting SS" to me. And Lugo hasn't signed yet.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

The bonus structure for this deal requires Clayton to

1) Hit .300
    2) Knock in 70 runs
    3) Walk on water...

Don't think he is going to hit any bonus like that.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    The apple has fallen far from the tree, rolled down the hill, come to rest on a muddy river bank and been eaten by rabid badgers.

That's too funny.

Not sure I've heard that derivation before.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    ...not just badgers. "Rabid" badgers. I love it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    The bonus structure for this deal requires Clayton to

1) Hit .300
    2) Knock in 70 runs
    3) Walk on water...

Don't think he is going to hit any bonus like that.
    With all due respect, I believe you do not give Royce the credit he deserves.
    It gets cold in Canada. The water freezes over. He could easily walk on it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Look on the bright side. Krivsky won't be tempted to sign him now. Power of positive thinking and all...
    Yeah, but what happens if AGon gets hurt around the trading deadline? WK could be foaming at the mouth...

Turn Off Ads?