Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees A Possible Trade Partner?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Yankees A Possible Trade Partner?

I was listening to MLB on XM radio on my drive to work and they were talking about Igawa and the rest of the Yankess pitching staff. From the looks of it here is there rotation:

Johnson
    Mussina
    Wang
    Igawa
    Pavano/Sanchez

They've also had talks with Clemens, Pettitte, Lilly, Meche, & Schmidt.. purhaps Zito as well.

What if we could work a deal with them which would send:

Adam Dunn, Javy Valentin/David Ross, and Matt Belisle to the Yankees

&

Melky Cabrera, Carl Pavano (+ Cash), Kyle Farnsworth, and Sean Henn

Fills OF hole with Cabrera who has an above average glove/arm and has speed, with some pop in his bat. We get Farnsworth who could be placed in the closer roll. Pavano, who is often injured.. could be a decent #4 or #5 guy behind Milton and/or Lohse. Henn would either start in the pen or AAA but could fill out the rotation in 2008.

Adam Dunn give the Yankees another power bat to go along with every other All-Star on their team. It also gives them a servicable back-up catcher which they lack at the moment. Matt Belisle could be the wild card in the deal because he has starter stuff and is an above relief arm out of the pen. Someone Torre could rely on due to his consistance in 2006. Alsowould give the Yankess the ability to still hunt for another starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yankees A Possible Trade Partner?

I think the Reds would be demolished by that deal, especially if it involves Ross.

Dunn alone for that package would be a poor deal.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Send Hughes and they can keep Pavano, Farnsworth and Henn.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Send Hughes and they can keep Pavano, Farnsworth and Henn.
    I agree. If they want Dunn, they have to give up Hughes along with another prospect. If you including Valentin/Ross and Belisle, then they have to give up Melky as well (and can drop that 2nd prospect).

So Dunn = Hughes and prospect

Dunn + Valentin/Ross + Belisle = Hughes and Melky and possibly a PTBNL.

In other words, not something I see the Yankees doing anytime soon....
    Last edited by Red Leader; 11-30-2006 at 10:45 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Someone pour some salt on that proposal to make sure nothing ever grows out of it again.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I guess my thinking was to free up some extra money to get a Trot Nixon/Craig Wilson type player and another thing was that Dunns option may not be picked up at seasons end and we may end up not getting any return for him.

Bad deal for the Reds I think. Both Farnsworth and Pavano disappointed last year, Cabrera has no stick, and Henn is not burning up the Yankees propaganda machine which means he's probably average to below average as a prospect. The Reds would be giving up two starting position players, and a young SP who's shown some real flashes of ML ability. Pass.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quality for quantity is rarely a good deal.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Bad deal for the Reds I think.
    I agree.

Both Farnsworth and Pavano disappointed last year,
    Totally agree. And both are injury concerns. Pavano, because he can't get out of his own way and Farnsworth has 'back issues' which is a big red flag.

Cabrera has no stick,
    Disagree. He's shown good eye at the plate. He's 22-yrs. old and his power should continue to develop. While he won't smack 30-40 HR's, he'll be able to pile on the doubles. The kid looks like a legit starting OF to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I
    Disagree. He's shown good eye at the plate. He's 22-yrs. old and his power should continue to develop. While he won't smack 30-40 HR's, he'll be able to pile on the doubles. The kid looks like a legit starting OF to me.
    I agree with you, NJReds. I think Cabrera is capable of some 30+ HR years in his peak years, but as he is now, he gets on base at a good clip and has developing power. He could be a doubles machine next year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    and another thing was that Dunns option may not be picked up at seasons end and we may end up not getting any return for him.
    I'd say there's basically a zero percent chance of the option simply not being picked up, absent extreme circumstances (career-threatening injury, that sort of thing). We'd either trade him at the deadline if we decided he wasn't worth $13.5 million next year, or we'd pick up his option next winter and then trade him similar to what the Yankees just did with Sheffield.
    Not all who wander are lost

Dunn for Melky and Philip Hughes

Wow. Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Hughes. They could have me as a 5th starter and still win a ton of games.

I'm not sure the Yanks would give up Hughes for anyone. He's the only pitching prospect sometimes ranked ahead of Bailey. They need new starting pitching since Johnson and Mussina are so old now, and they really don't have any glaring needs that they can't fill through FA.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Frankly, I don't think trading Dunn now makes much sense. His value is at its lowest point in five years. We're much better off waiting until midseason and hoping he's in the middle of one of his HR tears around the deadline. That's when Dunn could land us a boatload of prospects.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Frankly, I don't think trading Dunn now makes much sense. His value is at its lowest point in five years. We're much better off waiting until midseason and hoping he's in the middle of one of his HR tears around the deadline. That's when Dunn could land us a boatload of prospects.
    I agree with that, and think that's what Wayne and Bob will do.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?