Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should get the MVP?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • The best player in the league, period.

38 55.07%
  • The best position player in the league, period.

11 15.94%
  • The best player in the league on a winning/playoff team.

5 7.25%
  • The best position player in the league on a winning/playoff team.

5 7.25%
  • Other (please specify)

10 14.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mvp

Mvp

Who, in the generic sense, should the MVP award go to?

As a follow-up, do you see a difference in the "value" based on how much help a guy has? That is, if two players perform equally well, but one player contributes a greater percentage of his team's overall production because his team sucks, does that make him more valuable?

For the sake of debate, my answer is that the MVP should go to the best player in the league, bar none, all contributions considered (offense, defense, pitching). If you could choose 1 player to have on a team for 1 year based on their performance from that season, who do you choose?

Just like the pitchers have a "Cy Young", I'd create/rename an award specifically to recognize great hitting prowess.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-30-2006 at 12:48 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mvp

It has always been a debate.

Some say it should go to the best player on the best team. Some say it should go to the best player in the league. Some say it should go the best player on a team in the hunt.

I don't know the answer.

I always thought it would be fun to do something like production/salary and see who had the best ratio.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

The most valuable player in the league.

Seriously, I think it should go to the player who their team could least have afforded to lose. Like this year, would the Phillies done worse without Howard than the Cardinals would have done without Pujols?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The most valuable player in the league.

Seriously, I think it should go to the player who their team could least have afforded to lose. Like this year, would the Phillies done worse without Howard than the Cardinals would have done without Pujols?
    Sometimes that would be hard to judge IMO.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

I don't think its right to not give someone an award because the rest of his team is good enough to make the playoffs..

Best position player in the league, period.

Pitchers have their own award.

Also, take in factors of how well they played toward the end of the season. JM was a good example of this. He was a big part of the reason why they came back & made the playoffs.

The Astros minus Lance Berkmann would not have been a pretty sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Sometimes that would be hard to judge IMO.
    Like it isn't hard to judge the current way? It's a subjective process. Always has been, always will.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm toolsy.

Other - the player that contributes MOST to his teams success (therefore making him most valuable).

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Best player in the league.

More specifically, whoever leads their respective league in non-defensive Win Shares

That could easily mean if the best pitcher has more WS than the batting WS leader, give it to an arm, or vice versa.

Enough of this RBI stuff, that's so yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Just like the pitchers have a "Cy Young", I'd create/rename an award specifically to recognize great hitting prowess.
    They have the Hank Aaron Award, it's just that nobody cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Classic case of the tail wagging the dog, IMO.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Also, take in factors of how well they played toward the end of the season. JM was a good example of this. He was a big part of the reason why they came back & made the playoffs.
    Do wins/runs later in the season mean more than wins/runs in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post

I'll bet Hank Aaron cares.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I've never seen the league value in a guy piling up stats on a lousy team. His performance hasn't affected the league and opposing teams probably haven't pitched him as tough as they could because he's probably coming up in a lot of situations where that individual AB isn't going to have a ton of bearing on the outcome of the game.

If they want to call it the Statistiscally Best Player in the League Award, which is essentially what the Cy Young serves as for pitchers, that would be a major departure from what the MVP is and has been. If they want to continue to call it the MVP with the stated primary criteria of the making direct contributions to a team's ability to win, then they've made quality of the team a de facto standard. If your team hasn't won enough then your contributions went for naught and you're not the most valuable player in the league. You may be the best player, but you've unfortunately found yourself in a position where your performance didn't translate into value.
    Last edited by M2; 11-30-2006 at 02:01 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Best Player In League

Most Valuable Player

Whether it be pitching or a position player

Turn Off Ads?