Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jim Brown on the state of the NFL

Jim Brown on the state of the NFL

Agree or disagree with him, he makes some interesting points

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Jim Brown on the state of the NFL

Jim Brown says, "When you have a problem, rules don't solve your problem. It's caring and education. You have to connect properly with these young people and understand there is a psychological problem there."

He should know...

Arrests (not convictions)
    * Vandalism smashed up the windows of his wife's 1994 Honda Accord with a shovel, 1999
    * Death Threats allegedly threatened to snap Monique's neck, 1999
    * Domestic Violence, 1986
    * Assault, 1985
    * Rape, 1985
    * Sexual Battery, 1985
    * Battery (allegedly choked a golf partner) 1978
    * Assault allegedly beat up a man after a traffic accident, 1969
    * Assault allegedly threw his fiancee off a balcony, 1968
    * Resisting Arrest, 1968
    * Assault accused of raping an 18-year-old, 1965
    * Battery accused of raping an 18-year-old, 1965
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

People do good, people do bad. Everybody does some of both.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I thoroughly agree with his assessment that the pay structure is backwards.

A college player getting a 20 Mil signing bonus who hasn't played one down of pro ball? Ridiculous IMO.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I thoroughly agree with his assessment that the pay structure is backwards.

A college player getting a 20 Mil signing bonus who hasn't played one down of pro ball? Ridiculous IMO.

True but that is only for the very top picks. Everybody else pretty much makes the going wage.

What I thought was most interesting was what he said about the pensioners. The league and the players are making money hand over foot but they can't help the old timers out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    True but that is only for the very top picks. Everybody else pretty much makes the going wage.

What I thought was most interesting was what he said about the pensioners. The league and the players are making money hand over foot but they can't help the old timers out?
    No kidding. It's a shame that the league and the players can't figure out a way to better support the guys who came before them, back in the days when most players earned little more than what a blue collar worker earned.

I think they need to slow down some of those first round signing bonuses, but I don't think they should necessarily force these guys to play 3 years or so under a league-mandated salary cap and a non-guaranteed contract. Football is a bit different from other sports because of the greater injury risk. For a lot of guys, the best years of their career may come in years 1-3, and then they might be out of the league before they get their next shot at a contract. They need to make hay while they can.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

They say it's not the owners but the players who want the non-guaranteed deals. I guess because the average career of an NFL player isn't that long so they want to make all the money they can ASAP.

Yeah, I know a lot of the young guys especially like the signing bonuses because they get their money up front, before they've done anything. Agents like it too because they get their huge cut up front as well. To me the players' position seems more agent driven than player driven. I think I've heard some of the older players say they would prefer guaranteed contracts, because even if you get hurt, your pay at least reflects recognition of your past performance.

I personally don't like it because you get guys like Carl Pickens or Corey Dillon who sign big contracts and then bad mouth their way out of town. If you don't want to play for a team, don't sign with them in the first place.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Yeah, I know a lot of the young guys especially like the signing bonuses because they get their money up front, before they've done anything. Agents like it too because they get their huge cut up front as well. To me the players' position seems more agent driven than player driven. I think I've heard some of the older players say they would prefer guaranteed contracts, because even if you get hurt, your pay at least reflects recognition of your past performance.

I personally don't like it because you get guys like Carl Pickens or Corey Dillon who sign big contracts and then bad mouth their way out of town. If you don't want to play for a team, don't sign with them in the first place.

They probably should have guaranteed deals but I can see why they don't have them. The NFL is a different bird than MLB. Not very many football players play till their late 30s early 40s unless they are kickers or Vinnie Testeverde. Careers can end at the snap of a finger. That usually doesn't happen in MLB.

Turn Off Ads?