Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Matt Holliday?

Reds interested in Matt Holliday?

DISCLAIMER: This is merely some hot stove talk, and should not be taken as any sort of gospel. There's no real good reason to believe what you will read, it's just fun. My point? Don't get your hopes up.

I was reading Marc's blog and came across some trade talk in a post about Weathers. A poster by the name of Mr. Redlegs threw something interesting out there.
    An NL assistant GM told me Krivsky is eying a young, up-and-coming, right-handed power hitter who can play the corner slots.

Look at the numbers.

Matt Holiday.
    He goes on to note a deal with the Rockies for Holliday could potentially involve Freel, Votto, and Belisle.

Check it out yourself: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...x.asp#comments
    (Note: I got a PM saying the link may cause problems for some, so you may want to go directly to Marc's blog instead of using the above link.)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 11-30-2006 at 07:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds interested in Matt Holliday?

He had a much better year than I'd thought but his hime/road splits are pretty extreme.

Code:
    SPLIT 	AB 	R 	H 	2B 	3B 	HR 	RBI 	BB 	HBP 	SO 	SB 	CS 	AVG 	OBP 	SLG 	OPS
    Home 	295	70	110	24	2	22	78	26	11	44	5	2	.373	.440	.692	1.132
    Away 	307	49	86	21	3	12	36	21	4	66	5	3	.280	.333	.485	.819
    that's a lot to give up for a guy who may be just a product of Coors Field.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

It could be any number of of guys. Elijah Dukes could be that guy too. So could Matt Kemp or Matt Murton or Brent Cleven.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I don't know why the Rockies would do that, but I think it's a good trade for the Reds. Freel is a free agent after 2007 and Belisle's ceiling is middle relief. Votto is pretty valuable as a prospect, but 1B bats are easier to find than cheap outfielders who can post an OPS around .850.

Holliday would probably be a slight upgrade over Kearns.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 11-30-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It could be any number of of guys. Elijah Dukes could be that guy too. So could Matt Kemp or Matt Murton or Brent Cleven.
    That's what I was thinking. I'm also a Brad Hawpe fan. Love his swing. He still has room for improvement but I like him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I'm also a Brad Hawpe fan. Love his swing. He still has room for improvement but I like him.
    He has a very underrated arm in RF as well. Good defender.

I like both Holliday and Hawpe. If I had my choice, I'd have to take Holliday, though. I think he's going to be a special player in the next few years. What many expected Kearns to be eventually. Makes sense for the Reds to go after a RH power hitting OF.

If they could get Holliday and hope the Rocks throw in a prospect as well for Votto, Freel and Belisle (or Ross), I'd be all for it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    He had a much better year than I'd thought but his hime/road splits are pretty extreme.

Code:
    Not sure about the rest of you, but I'd take .819 on the road. The problem is I have a feeling we'd get him and something for a Dunn offer, and I will continue to bang the "or we could just keep Dunn" drum.

We need to add a bat to this lineup, not subtract Adam Dunn and then cry and pick up the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Hawpe's a lefty, though.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Austin Kearns?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Holliday contract info

Matthew Thomas Holliday: will earn 316K in 2005 as part of a 5-year major league contract signed in 2001- + the 5-year deal includes a Team Option for 2006 worth 500K and a Team Option for 2007 worth 700K- + if eligible for arbitration following either 2006 or 2007, then he may opt of the deal and elect for salary abritration- + 2006 option worth 500K was EXERCISED ON 10/5/05- + bonuses has earned: $50K for silver slugger
    Agent: Scott Boras (fired Jot Hartley after 2005 season) Service Time: 2
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Secondary question here: Would this mean the Reds are considering keeping Jr. in CF? Or is one of Dunn and Jr. a goner?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

Code:
    I can't back this up, so maybe I'm all wet, but I think part of the "Coors Effect" is to dampen hitters on the road. They get used to flat breaking pitches and fly balls that carry and it makes them crummy hitters closer to earth. I'd guess that he'd hit somewhere between his home and road numbers.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    He has a very underrated arm in RF as well. Good defender.

I like both Holliday and Hawpe. If I had my choice, I'd have to take Holliday, though. I think he's going to be a special player in the next few years. What many expected Kearns to be eventually. Makes sense for the Reds to go after a RH power hitting OF.

If they could get Holliday and hope the Rocks throw in a prospect as well for Votto, Freel and Belisle (or Ross), I'd be all for it.
    I'm 50/50 on Holliday or Hawpe. Hawpe hit over .300 on the road this past season. Like I said before he still has some work to do but I see him cutting those K's down by 40 to 50 in the next season. He reminds me of Hal Morris with more power. I see Hawpe as a legitimate #3 hitter in the next few years. Holliday is pretty darn good all by himself. I'd certainly take him for the right players. He's a refined Pat Burrell IMO.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Secondary question here: Would this mean the Reds are considering keeping Jr. in CF? Or is one of Dunn and Jr. a goner?
    I'd have to imagine that if ANYONE had interest in Jr, they'd try to move him.

Holliday is a LFer.

Hopefully they're not thinking: bring in the RH power OF bat to protect Jr. and trade Dunn the LH OF bat.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

another Coors field mirage.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?