Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sweaters

Sweaters

Over in the NHL the uniforms are going to change next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2680102

NEW YORK -- The NHL will break with tradition next season by ushering in a new, streamlined uniform that blends fashion with functionality, commissioner Gary Bettman said Wednesday.

Bettman said the new-look uniforms, designed over the past two years, will be unveiled at the All-Star Game in January.

In an interview with Reuters at the NHL's headquarters in New York, Bettman said the players who have tested it so far "have been thrilled."

While the new tapered uniforms are fashionable, Bettman said they were designed with players in mind.

"The new uniform takes advantage of developments in new fabrics," he said. "But the change was done not for the stylistic. It was done for performance and safety. It was time. Our basic uniforms haven't changed in 40 years."

NHL teams have worn basically the same outfit, with big, square shirts, bulky pads and wide socks with horizontal stripes since the 1940s.
    I'm of the opinion that baseball needs to bring back the warmup sweater.

Prior to synthetics and even shiny satin warmth for the player not on the field was usually obtained by the presence of a large, wool sweater, often marked with the team colors or logos.

The above are the sweaters for pitcher Elmer Steele, a pitcher for the Red Sox, Pirates and Dodgers. Elmer, like my father and grandparents was born and raised in Poughkeepsie NY. Elmerís sweaters were recently being auctioned on the web for $13,200.

One of the great things about the sweaters worn back in the day is their elaborate collars and sometimes, garish stripes, buttons or lapels. Below is an example of four sweaters. The top two are Cincinnati Reds sweaters; the man on the left is Bob Ewing who was the Reds version of Aaron Harang 100 years ago, his sweater marks an era that pre-dates the popularity of the team sweater. On the right is Edd Roush in a one-color piece. Below on the left is Cy Young in 1905 with the Boston Americans. Cy has a stripped down version of the bulky sweater, one that would enable him to get his work in and still stay warm. Ewingís on the other hand looks like a sweater to keep a pitcher warm in between innings. On the right is a version of the White Sox sweater, a simple white sweater with piping along the collar and a logo over the heart.

One thing is for sure those sweaters were bulky and they were needed. Below is a series of photos that attest partly to that statement. In the photo on the top left Cubs second baseman Johnny Evers (Thatís pronounced EVErs, not EVers) with his Cubs sweater on, behind him are the teamís sweaters, so bulky it resembles a cloakroom more then a dugout. And what about those dugouts? They look inviting theses days, but there was a time that they were nothing more then a hole with a bench. The top right photo depicts the White Sox bench prior to an exhibition with the Cubs in 1910. The dugout is sparse and covered with what looks like Turk 182 has tagged it. The bottom left is Hall of Famer Pud Galvin in what looks like an early version of the warm up jacket. This card is dated from the late 1880ís when Pud was a member of the Pittsburgh Alleganyís. On his right is a combination sweater/dugout shot of a shivering Rube Oldring of the Aís with his sweater on and another draped over his non-pitching shoulder.

Sweaters were so popular that they were available through mail order and below is an example of an advertisement that appeared in Baseball Magazine in 1914.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sweaters

I thought you were going to tell us about how much you sweat.

ya commie.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Estaban Yan.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I'm more interested in bringing back socks &/or stirrups.

A little piece of me dies each time I see a baseball player with his uniform pants stretching into & over his cleats.

sweaters? no way.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'm trying to imagine David Wells with one of those cardigan type sweaters on, and getting a very bad vibe...

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Imagine those sweaters on the sweltering turf of Ye Old Riverfront Stadium. Aint a cabbage leaf dipped in anything to get a man through that.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

They'd sell bunches of them on Opening Day. I froze my butt off!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I'm more interested in bringing back socks &/or stirrups.

A little piece of me dies each time I see a baseball player with his uniform pants stretching into & over his cleats.

Yep. Me too.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?