Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bud Selig = HOFer ?

Bud Selig = HOFer ?

The guy was in charge when the World Series was cancelled and seemed to turn a blind eye to the steroids until threatened by Congress.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bud Selig = HOFer ?

Josef Stalin=Humanitarian?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Col_ IN Reds fan View Post
    The guy was in charge when the World Series was cancelled and seemed to turn a blind eye to the steroids until threatened by Congress.
    I have zero love for Bud but it was the players union that would not allow steroid testing. It didnt matter if Kennesaw Mountain Landis was the Commisioner, the players union was not going to allow their members to be tested.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I have zero love for Bud but it was the players union that would not allow steroid testing. It didnt matter if Kennesaw Mountain Landis was the Commisioner, the players union was not going to allow their members to be tested.
    Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Where there is no will...there is Bud.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Where there is no will...there is Bud.
    Bud had the ""will"" to get the players union to accept a salary cap and we saw how well that went over didnt we??

was is all this meaning??? is someone suggesting that Selig be a HOFer?

I dont think this is as crazy of a thought as what most people are thinking. I wont be surprised if hes a HOF and then again i wont be suprised if hes not put in the hall. I personally dont really care for the guy. But if baseball financially keeps moving they way it is this year then by 2009 it could be huge world wide. If thats the case its hard for me to believe he wont be put in the hall of fame....as crazy as that sounds to many of us.

Major League baseball is broken. Say all you want to about ticket sales, but NFL football is America's sport, plane and simple. They are the perfect example of how to run a professional sports league. Every team is equal, with the same amount of money to spend. There are no cast in stone contracts, and the players don't have more power than the commish. Do you think a MLB franchise could compete in Green Bay Wisconsin? No way!

Each NFL franchise is equal. The success of your team depends on your draft, coaching, and luck with injuries. MLB is just the opposite. The more money you have the better chance you have to win. Going into spring training, we all know there are only a handful of teams that really have a chance. Sure there are Cinderilla stories, but they are few and far between.

Really the best thing that could happen to baseball is a lock out. Break this horrible union. MLB should follow the NFL blueprint. Strick salary caps, and one year contracts. If you cut a guy with a multiple year contract, it goes against your cap, just like the NFL. Kansas City would be on a even playing field with the Yankees. A unbelievable fan base would araise in the small markets, making all of MLB more healthy. Lets face it, EVERYTHING would have to go perfect for the Reds next season for us to make the playoffs. What are the odds of that happening? What was the Reds payroll in 95 and 99? I'm pretty sure it was in the top 20% of MLB. Since then with the gross expansion of the salaries the Reds have had only one winning season.

MLB is going in the wrong direction, while the NFL is growing in popularity every year. Just look at the World Series ratings. This is a train wreck waiting to happen. I love this game and it needs fixing sooner rather than later.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    I dont think this is as crazy of a thought as what most people are thinking. I wont be surprised if hes a HOF and then again i wont be suprised if hes not put in the hall. I personally dont really care for the guy. But if baseball financially keeps moving they way it is this year then by 2009 it could be huge world wide. If thats the case its hard for me to believe he wont be put in the hall of fame....as crazy as that sounds to many of us.
    I would be sick to my stomach if Selig did make the HOF, but I would become deathly ill should Donald Fehr by some miracle somehow make the HOF. Not even Selig has done as much damage to the game as that miserable, wretched human being Donald Fehr. Marvin Miller hasn't received much support from the Veterans Committee lately but the Committee for now is a different generation of player. Twenty years from now when we have todays "the hell with the game, show me the money" type players voting on the Veterans Comittee it wouldnt suprise me in the least to see both Miller and Fehr in Cooperstown.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 12-01-2006 at 12:20 AM.

At least he's done a great job with the allstar game.... :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I would be sick to my stomach if Selig did make the HOF, but I would become deathly ill should Donald Fehr by some miracle somehow make the HOF. Not even Selig has done as much damage to the game as that miserable, wretched human being Donald Fehr. Marvin Miller hasn't received much support from the Veterans Committee lately but the Committee for now is a different generation of player. Twenty years from now when we have todays "the hell with the game, show me the money" type players voting on the Veterans Comittee it wouldnt suprise me in the least to see both Miller and Fehr in Cooperstown.
    If either goes into the hall then whoever voted them in needs to have their right taken away from them. THose two babboons have done more to hurt baseball than Pete and Black Sox (among others) could ever dream of with their stupidity and power plays.

Selig deserves got into the Hall about the same time Ashton Kutcher and Paris Hilton receive Lifetime Acheivement Awards from Oscar himself.
    That said, I would not be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Major League baseball is broken. Say all you want to about ticket sales, but NFL football is America's sport, plane and simple. They are the perfect example of how to run a professional sports league. Every team is equal, with the same amount of money to spend. There are no cast in stone contracts, and the players don't have more power than the commish. Do you think a MLB franchise could compete in Green Bay Wisconsin? No way!

Each NFL franchise is equal. The success of your team depends on your draft, coaching, and luck with injuries. MLB is just the opposite. The more money you have the better chance you have to win. Going into spring training, we all know there are only a handful of teams that really have a chance. Sure there are Cinderilla stories, but they are few and far between.

Really the best thing that could happen to baseball is a lock out. Break this horrible union. MLB should follow the NFL blueprint. Strick salary caps, and one year contracts. If you cut a guy with a multiple year contract, it goes against your cap, just like the NFL. Kansas City would be on a even playing field with the Yankees. A unbelievable fan base would araise in the small markets, making all of MLB more healthy. Lets face it, EVERYTHING would have to go perfect for the Reds next season for us to make the playoffs. What are the odds of that happening? What was the Reds payroll in 95 and 99? I'm pretty sure it was in the top 20% of MLB. Since then with the gross expansion of the salaries the Reds have had only one winning season.

MLB is going in the wrong direction, while the NFL is growing in popularity every year. Just look at the World Series ratings. This is a train wreck waiting to happen. I love this game and it needs fixing sooner rather than later.
    First off, I totally agree, but there is one huge difference. A football prospect is a lot more likely to live up to their expectations right out of college, or at any time than a baseball prospect. It takes a lot of time to develope a baseball prospect who may or may not ever be near as good as you believe he will. The Reds have seen plenty of that (but so too have the Bengals until recently), and that isn't going to change any time soon. Baseball requires a lot of skill, not that football doesn't. That is what creates a lot of the parity you see in football. Your draft can fill holes immediately and completely change your team's fortunes.

The turnover in players also helps a lot. That is caused by the salary cap, but do you think baseball fans want to see their favorite players moving around so much. I don't know, but I tend to think that this game is based a lot on tradition. Loyalty, which seems to be leaving the game more and more with the huge contracts anyway, is one of those traditions.

One thing that I do like about the MLB is that you can demote or cut a player without worry of repercussion from the players union, unlike in the NFL. Other than that, other than the fact that I like baseball, the MLB really doesn't have many other advantages over the NFL. The baseball season is too long for the average fan to follow, the contracts that baseball players are getting now is just sickening because there is no salary cap and really no way to say when they are going to top out, there is no parity from year to year, and going to a game isn't really an event like going to a football game is because there are so many.

People don't understand baseball anymore (i.e. scoring, rules, etc.). Baseball has become more about going to watch a super star hit home runs than watching a team do the little things to score. The problem isn't that baseball isn't entertaining enough, the problem is people don't understand why its entertaining. We live is a society that likes to see the big play. The flashy player. Baseball isn't a team sport anymore, its about 9 individuals on the field trying to make themselves look better. The team thing works in football, because in order to have a chance for the big play, you have to have a team that can set up the big play chance. You get both, teamwork and the big play. Good blocking sets up the big run, good pressure from the D-line sets up the interception. Both get noticed. When is the last time you saw a perfect relay throw make Sports Center?

What is wrong with baseball reflects what is wrong with our society. We think about making ourselves look better and forget that we can't do that without to other people who give us the chance. I want to see the team brought back to baseball. How? A salary cap couldn't hurt. Make the teams more competitive and players will find it harder to win without working together I believe.

I don't have the answers, thats why I'm not in charge. The thing is, I'm not sure Bud has the answers or the Intestinal fortitude to act on them either. He has made the game more popular to the fans who want to see the individual performances of the superstars, but has abandoned what made the true baseball fans baseball fans to begin with.... Tradition, teamwork, strategy. If he gets in the HOF, it will really be a tragedy for the tradition of the game IMO.

Turn Off Ads?