Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnage at Clear Channel Cincinnati

Carnage at Clear Channel Cincinnati

From the Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...te=printpicart

Last Updated: 6:55 pm | Thursday, November 30, 2006
    Radio station owner fires 19
    BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Longtime WEBN-FM midday DJ Wendy Walker and WCKY-AM sports talk host Jeff Piecoro were among 19 employees fired Wednesday in a downsizing similar to other Clear Channel markets.

“It was a blood gushing,” said Greg Waddell, a sports reporter and producer for WCKY-AM (1530) and WLW-AM (700). He was terminated in a late Wednesday afternoon phone call.

The cutbacks are part of an extensive restructuring by Clear Channel, the world’s largest radio station owner, which is being sold for $18.7 billion to private investors. Staff reductions have been made at stations from New York and San Francisco to Lexington and Louisville.

Also losing their jobs here were Mike Stevens and Madison from WVMX-FM (MIX94.1); Storm Bennett from WKFS-FM (KISS107.1); Richard “Scoop” Cowell, a WEBN-FM (102.7) morning “Dawn Patrol” sidekick; promotion employees; and station board operators.

General Manager Karrie Sudbrack and other Clear Channel managers in the Kenwood office could not be reached for comment, despite numerous attempts. The employees were told at a 4:30 p.m. meeting Wednesday that their jobs had been eliminated.

Clear Channel staffers had been worried about cutbacks for several weeks, after streamlining at many sister stations.

“We knew this was coming. Rumors were all over the hallways,” said Waddell, of Monroe, a four-year employee and a 20-year radio veteran who worked six days a week.

“I don’t blame the people (bosses) here. It’s not their fault. This is a call made by the home office in San Antonio,” said Piecoro of Crescent Springs.

Piecoro was a valuable utility player for the company. In addition to his 10 a.m.-noon weekday show, he hosted Bengals post-game call-in shows on WLW-AM and WCKY-AM, and weekly University of Cincinnati coaches’ call-in shows.

Piecoro also does University of Cincinnati basketball broadcasts for WXIX-TV (Channel 19), radio commentary for University of Kentucky football, and Reds TV work for Fox Sports Net Ohio.

Bennett also said he has other options to fall back on. He owns Quality Sounds DJs and Killer Creative Media.

Walker, who could not be reached for comment, had joined WEBN-FM in 1995 as a part-time promotions employee. Later that year she became a DJ on the station she had listened to since attending Miamitown Elementary School, where she formed a WEBN club.

“Scoop” Cowell had been part of ’EBN mornings for only seven months. “I love Cincinnati. I’ll hate to leave,” he said.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carnage at Clear Channel Cincinnati

Matt? You still employed?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Cool! Does this mean we'll get to hear more Dr. Drew and Love Line?

Well you cant turn him into a company man
    you cant turn him into a *****
    and the boys upstairs just dont understand anymore
    well the top brass dont like him talking so much
    and he wont play what they say to play
    and he dont wanna change what dont need to change

And there goes the last DJ
    who plays what he wants to play
    and says what he wants to say
    hey hey hey
    and there goes your freedom of choice
    there goes the last human voice
    and there goes the last DJ
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Didn't 96.5 just go all-talk. Bet there's a ton of tapes and resumes' being tossed around.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Didn't 96.5 just go all-talk. Bet there's a ton of tapes and resumes' being tossed around.
    A lot of outgoing tapes and resumes I am sure...incoming? No way...CC is selling off over 400 stations over the next two years.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    A lot of outgoing tapes and resumes I am sure...incoming? No way...CC is selling off over 400 stations over the next two years.
    I hope that this begins the reincarnation of small, independent, radio stations once again.

Does someone know where to find the ratings between Colin Cowherd and Jeff Piecoro? I am assuming that Colin was beating Jeff pretty good. I used to listedn to Jeff but I switched about a year ago. Colin is more entertaining and he doesn't talk high school football.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I hope that this begins the reincarnation of small, independent, radio stations once again.
    Nope.

Just the end of mega-coprorate control of 50-70% of a market.

You'll still have large corporations controlling stations, there'll just be more corporate variety in the market instead of one big corporation owning everything.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I am just glad to see that Venus Flytrap and Johnny Fever were not on the ax list. They were always two of my favorite Cincinnati Radio personalities.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Nope.

Just the end of mega-coprorate control of 50-70% of a market.

You'll still have large corporations controlling stations, there'll just be more corporate variety in the market instead of one big corporation owning everything.
    Well, that's......better. I guess.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I wondered what happened to Pic yesterday when I tuned in and heard Fox Sports Radio from 9 AM - 11 AM [CST] on the stream.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

when i read the title i figured someone came in and blew bill cunningham away

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Pic was terrible and ill informed. Not to mention he had an overly cocky disposition in person. Good riddance.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Matt? You still employed?
    Yes I am, and I'm thankful for that.

I feel terrible for those who aren't....it's been a tough week for everyone
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-01-2006 at 03:37 PM.

Sham

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Pic was terrible and ill informed. Not to mention he had an overly cocky disposition in person. Good riddance.

Couldn't agree more. He was the worst I've ever heard.

Turn Off Ads?