Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arbitration starts today!

Arbitration starts today!

Today is the day for those who don't know or somehow forgot for teams to offer arbitration to their eligible players. The players then have until Dec. 7th to decide whether they will accept the chance to go to arb. hearings with their perspective teams.

Our Arb eligible players are as follows:

Cin: Rich Aurilia (A), Eddie Guardado (A), *Kent Mercker (B), Scott Schoeneweis (B), David Weathers (A).

Also the new non-tender deadline is Dec. 12th. Here is an article which go's over both situations to some extent.

11/30/2006 9:25 AM ET
    Salary arbitration decisions loom large
    New CBA offers more flexibility for everyone in negotiations
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

For some free agents and teams, December can feel like it does for last-minute shoppers counting the number of days left until Christmas.
    Is time running out to get what they want?

The calendar's 12th month usually means tough calls for both sides, and this December should be no different -- especially with tweaks in the labor agreement which could make for more aggressive shopping than baseball has seen in recent Decembers.

One change begins on Friday, which is the deadline for teams to offer salary arbitration to their players who became free agents. The players have until Dec. 7 to accept or decline. Previously, the deadline to offer was Dec. 7, and players had until Dec. 19 to accept or reject arbitration.

The process will have an impact on the Hot Stove landscape as some of the top names on the market like Tom Glavine, Barry Bonds, Barry Zito, Dave Roberts, Greg Maddux, Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Jason Schmidt, Gil Meche and Jeff Suppan will get a clearer picture of the 2007 landscape after the arbitration choices are known.

Unlike previous years, when free agents not offered arbitration couldn't sign with their previous teams before May 1, under the new rules the two sides can continue negotiations and, if a player is re-signed, he would be eligible to play for the team on Opening Day.

Free agents offered arbitration and then signed by another team could potentially cost the signing team a draft choice if the free agent is a Type A. But the Type A pool is smaller this year, as it has been reduced from the top 30 percent at each position (according to the Elias Sports Bureau rankings) to the top 20 percent. And unlike previous years, teams no longer lose a draft choice for signing a Type B (players ranked between 21-40 percent) free agent. Teams losing Type B free agents will receive an extra draft pick next June.

Of course, teams can offer arbitration to top free agents they believe will sign elsewhere to make sure they get that extra draft pick.

Oakland, for example, is expected to offer arbitration to Zito even though it is unlikely the Type A left-hander will return to the A's next season. Suppan, who is being targeted by a number of teams, could receive an arbitration offer from St. Louis. Similarly, free agents like Schmidt (San Francisco), Joe Borowski (Florida), Julio Lugo (Los Angeles) and Roberts (San Diego) are other candidates for arbitration.

In such situations, the risk making an offer, from a team standpoint, is the possibility that a player could accept arbitration, which would then lead to a financial obligation the team wasn't counting on. Since fewer players qualify for Type A and with fewer draft picks attached, it will likely mean fewer arbitration offerings.

The decision on whether to offer arbitration or not can be extremely difficult for general managers.

The Astros would love to have Clemens and Pettitte back for 2007, but Houston GM Tim Purpura hasn't decided whether the club will offer arbitration to either player.

The Astros did not offer arbitration to Clemens last year, opting instead to negotiate a deal that returned the right-hander to the team in June. This time the Astros won't have to wait until May 1 for either player, should they decide not to offer arbitration and then re-sign them.

"We've been up against those dates a couple of times the last few years," Purpura said. "With Carlos [Beltran in 2005] and with Roger. We'll have a little more flexibility [with the new CBA rules] than we've had, but it's basically the same with regards to arbitration. You still have to look at it essentially as, 'How much do you want a guy back?'"

The Mets want Glavine back, but so does Atlanta.

Glavine, another Type A free agent, will find out whether the Mets will offer arbitration and the other team pursuing the veteran lefty, the Braves, will know whether bringing Glavine back to Atlanta will cost the club a draft choice next summer. If the Mets offer salary arbitration and Glavine accepts, it means the pitcher will return to New York for 2007 and the Braves will have to look elsewhere for that starter they are seeking.

Braves general manager John Schuerholz still isn't making any public comments about Glavine. During a late Tuesday afternoon phone conversation with MLB.com, he said, "I will not talk about it."

Other free agents of note whose market value could be impacted by whether an arbitration offer is attached include Eric Gagne, Mark Loretta, Cliff Floyd, Mike Lieberthal, Jay Payton, Kenny Lofton, Ted Lilly, Aaron Fultz, Vicente Padilla and Bengie Molina.

Over the next seven days, the offers and answers will help shape the market further and trigger either more deals or a change in direction by teams looking to fill their roster needs. The full free-agent picture will be known when another key date -- Dec. 12, the deadline to offer contracts -- rolls around. Last year the non-tender date was Dec. 20.

By then, the GMs will know exactly who is on the market and who isn't, and just in time for some holiday shopping.

"There's more [flexibility] than we had under the old rules, but the [free agent] also has more time to negotiate with another team," Mets GM Omar Minaya said. "It's better for everybody."
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-01-2006 at 11:51 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arbitration starts today!

Sorry Gallen I hadn't noticed your thread!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52897
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

This is semi-interesting. A Blurb about Aurilia near the bottom, interesting to note that it seems the Giants have already semi-finalized the his signing.

11/30/2006 6:10 PM ET
    Arbitration offer unlikely for Bonds
    Deadline less restricting for Giants, free-agent slugger
    By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

The San Francisco Giants aren't expected to offer arbitration to free-agent left fielder Barry Bonds, the second-leading home run hitter in Major League history, sources with knowledge of the negotiations said Thursday.
    Under the rules of a new Basic Agreement that has yet to be ratified by the Players Association, the Giants can continue to negotiate with Bonds up to and into the regular season. Bonds filed for free agency immediately after the end of the World Series, and negotiations with the club he has played with for the last 14 seasons have been slow, although Larry Baer, the team's vice president and chief operating officer, has had at least one face-to-face meeting with Jeff Borris, Bonds' agent, in Los Angeles.

All Major League Baseball free-agent arbitration decisions must be determined by 9 p.m. PT Friday. A Giants spokesman declined to confirm or deny the club's position regarding Bonds when reached in San Francisco on Thursday. And Borris said that he would have a comment about the situation once he's officially informed whether his client has been offered arbitration.

Borris continued to say that there has been a lot of discussion about Bonds, who would go into the 2007 season with 734 homers, 21 behind Hank Aaron's Major League-record 755.

"I continue to have dialogue with the Giants, as well as other clubs, on a daily basis," Borris said.

Two weeks ago, Bonds had interest from the Oakland A's and the San Diego Padres, but those negotiations have gone into a holding pattern as free-agent outfielders such as Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee and Juan Pierre have signed with the Cubs, Astros and Dodgers, respectively. Outfielder J.D. Drew, who opted out of his Dodgers contract, is reportedly on the cusp of signing with the Red Sox, while Dave Roberts seems to be destined for the Giants.

Including Bonds, the Giants still have nine unsigned free agents pending from last season's club. They had 11 at the end of the season, but outfielder Moises Alou has already gone to the New York Mets and reliever Mike Stanton to the Cincinnati Reds.

Under the old rules of the Basic Agreement, a team had until Dec. 7 to determine whether to offer a free agent arbitration, and if it didn't, it could no longer negotiate with him. If it did, and the player declined to accept, negotiations could continue until Jan. 8. But once that date passed, the team couldn't negotiate again until May 1 if the player was still on the market.

Under the new rules, the date of offering arbitration has been moved up a week and players have until Dec. 7 to accept. By offering arbitration, a team reserves its right to draft-pick compensation if the player signs elsewhere. The other dates and restrictions have been eliminated.

The Giants are awaiting the arbitration deadline before announcing the free-agent signings of Roberts and Reds infielder Rich Aurilia. Roberts played for new Giants manager Bruce Bochy in San Diego the last two seasons, while Aurilia played shortstop in San Francisco from 1995 to 2003.

Other clubs seem to be waiting for the same deadline before making a serious attempt at signing Bonds, who used the old rules to his advantage in 2001, the last time he was on the market. At the time, the Giants offered arbitration and Bonds accepted. The two sides never went to arbitration, ultimately agreeing on a five-year, $90 million deal, which just ended.

This time, the Giants are not enamored with the prospect of losing a large arbitration award to the 42-year-old Bonds, who earned $18 million last season. In 2006, Bonds shared the team lead with 26 homers, added 77 runs batted in and 74 runs scored and led Major League Baseball with a .454 on-base percentage.

Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-01-2006 at 12:08 PM.

--Woody Hayes

I surely hope the Reds offer RA arbitration. He is all but signed with SF and presumably there is a draft choice to be gained.

The Phillies, who want Weathers, presumably won't sign him if the Reds offer arbitration...from the Philly Inquirer.

The Phillies haven't made a proposal to righthander David Weathers, but that's expected if Borowski goes elsewhere and Cincinnati doesn't offer Weathers salary arbitration by today's deadline. If the Reds offer Weathers salary arbitration, the Phillies are unlikely to surrender a first-round pick to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The Phillies, who want Weathers, presumably won't sign him if the Reds offer arbitration...from the Philly Inquirer.
    I'm a big Weathers fan, but I wouldn't offer him arbitration. I would either sign him today or I would replace him. But he has to be replaced, not just let go. The Reds need another good righty reliever.

For arbitration purposes, I think Aurilia is the big issue. I'll be disappointed if the Reds just let him go. I know he can get a sizeable award after his strong 2006, but I don't think it would ever come to that. He is in demand and somebody will either sign him or give the Reds something for him in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm a big Weathers fan, but I wouldn't offer him arbitration. I would either sign him today or I would replace him. But he has to be replaced, not just let go. The Reds need another good righty reliever.

For arbitration purposes, I think Aurilia is the big issue. I'll be disappointed if the Reds just let him go. I know he can get a sizeable award after his strong 2006, but I don't think it would ever come to that. He is in demand and somebody will either sign him or give the Reds something for him in a trade.
    I think the Giants and the Phillies are in the same boat with Aurilia & Weathers respectively. I'm afraid that if RA gets Arb'd that he's back. And I don't think that's good.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

More arbitration news...Trot Nixon, who many on RZ likes as a possible option for the Reds, might be offered arbitration by the Red Sox.

Sox: Nixon in '07?
    Team may offer him arbitration
    By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | December 1, 2006

In a decision that would lend further credence to the possibility of Manny Ramírez being traded, the Sox are likely to offer salary arbitration to free agent outfielder Trot Nixon by today's deadline, according to a source with ties to the team.

Nixon has fielded feelers from other teams, he has maintained that his first choice was to prolong his career in Boston, one that began when he was drafted in the first round in 1993. If the Sox offer arbitration today -- and one club source cautioned it wasn't definite -- and Nixon accepts by the Dec. 7 deadline, that would make him the equivalent of a signed player for 2007, and probably place him squarely in the team's plans.

Nixon was paid $6.5 million last season and could expect to win a raise in arbitration, which would place him at a salary level unusually high for a spare outfielder. That points to the strong possibility the Sox have other plans for Nixon. A possible scenario: Nixon will share time with Wily Mo Peña in a newly realigned outfield that manager Terry Francona could play in a variety of permutations: The soon-to-be-added J.D. Drew could play right field or center, if Francona chooses to move Coco Crisp to left, which is what Cleveland did in 2005, or Crisp could remain in center with Drew and Nixon/Peña flanking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think the Giants and the Phillies are in the same boat with Aurilia & Weathers respectively. I'm afraid that if RA gets Arb'd that he's back. And I don't think that's good.
    The FO has to have some backbone here. Just letting RA go for nothing, when you have arbitration rights to him, is a mistake. When a player-in-demand is your property, you use that leverage to get a return. The Reds need to benefit from this situation, not just let this guy go for nothing.

If the Reds offer RA arbitration, it is most likely that he will sign with SF or be traded to some team for a decent player or prospect. And if he actually goes to arbitration, the Reds will pay him and have his bat. It sounds like they will need a bat or two anyway.

It is no disaster to wind up with RA on the team. The disaster is to let him go for nothing.

I feel differently about David Weathers because I don't think he is as "in demand" as RA. So it is more likely he will just wind up in arbitration. And at this point the Reds should get a better reliever if they are to pay major dollars.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I surely hope the Reds offer RA arbitration.
    it would be sheer stupidity not to. If I was the Reds I'd be more than willing to take him back on a 1 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    it would be sheer stupidity not to. If I was the Reds I'd be more than willing to take him back on a 1 year deal.
    He'd make a fine platoon partner with Hatteberg at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    He'd make a fine platoon partner with Hatteberg at 1B.
    honestly I would expect RA to refuse arbitration if the Reds offer.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    honestly I would expect RA to refuse arbitration if the Reds offer.
    Same here.

We have to offer both aurilla and weathers arbitration. Aurilla will not accept arbitration anyway because he wants to start and there are at least a couple teams that will make him a starter. In cincy hes nothing more than a part time player with hatteberg, of course that would be great for us but aurilla doesnt want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    We have to offer both aurilla and weathers arbitration. Aurilla will not accept arbitration anyway because he wants to start and there are at least a couple teams that will make him a starter. In cincy hes nothing more than a part time player with hatteberg, of course that would be great for us but aurilla doesnt want to do that.
    And that's exactly why I think RA back in Cincinnati is a bad move and the Giants will ponder if RA's worth the first round pick.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?