Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want YOU as the next MLB Commissioner

I want YOU as the next MLB Commissioner

I was watching Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN 2 this morning and an interesting question was brought up. What would we suggest to the future commish to better the game of baseball? My suggestion was to even out the American League and National League in terms of how many teams each league has (NL>AL)...What do you think?
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I want YOU as the next MLB Commissioner

My first order of business would be getting rid of the DH, although the DH would really help our defense
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832 View Post
    I was watching Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN 2 this morning and an interesting question was brought up. What would we suggest to the future commish to better the game of baseball? My suggestion was to even out the American League and National League in terms of how many teams each league has (NL>AL)...What do you think?
    You would probably need expansion to do this or have interleague play going all season.I don't forsee MLB expanding anytime soon. However San Antonio and Las Vegas are ready to talk.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    My first order of business would be getting rid of the DH, although the DH would really help our defense
    I would love to see the DH dumped but the players union will never allow it!!

• Go with six divisions of five teams, even if it means somebody somewhere is playing an interleague game every day. It would bring some much-needed uniformity to the standings and the schedules.
    • 154-game season
    • 7-game division series
    • raise the mound back to where it was in the 60s
    • eliminate the DH
    • start World Series games earlier
    • enforce rules with regard to uniforms, so that all players are dressed, well, uniformly (no more pajama pants dragging the ground, in other words)

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Make each team play one manadatory home DH a month and one way DH a month, thus shortening the season and allowing the playoffs to start earlier in the calendar year. All DH games should start at noon.

Make the All Star game an exhibition game again. Whoever wins, wins. It determines nothing.

Determine the home team of each playoff series by best W-L record in the regular season (if the wild card team had a better record than the division winner they are playing, the wild card team has home field...unlikely, but just wanted to point that out). The home team for the World Series is determined by best W-L record during the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. If both teams meeting in the World Series had the same record in the playoffs, then the home team is awarded to best W-L record in the regular season, the 3rd tie breaker would be best W-L record within their own division.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Let Pete Rose be eligible for the Hall Of Fame
    Last edited by Degenerate39; 12-01-2006 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Let Pete Rose be elidgable for the Hall Of Fame
    Amen brother
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Let Pete Rose be eligible for the Hall Of Fame
    Totally agree about Pete! I think the DH should be put in both leagues. Hitting and scoring will make the game better and more exciting. Watching a Pitcher get out what, 90 percent of the time is a waste of time and boring.

I say make the leagues have only one division. National and American. The teams will only play the teams in their division until the playoffs. Cross over from 1 to 4 and then see who goes to the World Series!

Oh, and never allow Pud Selig back in another ball park! EVER!
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    • Go with six divisions of five teams, even if it means somebody somewhere is playing an interleague game every day. It would bring some much-needed uniformity to the standings and the schedules.
    • 154-game season
    • 7-game division series
    • raise the mound back to where it was in the 60s
    • eliminate the DH
    • start World Series games earlier
    • enforce rules with regard to uniforms, so that all players are dressed, well, uniformly (no more pajama pants dragging the ground, in other words)
    Agree.

I would also make Baseball a worldwide sport. One team in Toyko & another in Mexico City.

Eliminate the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by cReds1 View Post
    I think the DH should be put in both leagues. Hitting and scoring will make the game better and more exciting. Watching a Pitcher get out what, 90 percent of the time is a waste of time and boring.
    Man, Glendon Rusch would love you.

Quote Originally Posted by cReds1 View Post
    I think the DH should be put in both leagues.
    BLASPHEMY! Repent now you heretic!
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I would completely rearrange the leagues and divisions into "New School" and "Old School." The old school league would consist of the original 16 teams of the National and American leagues before expansion, two 8 team divisions, American and National. The new school league would include all of the expansion teams that came into existence after 1960, they can figure out their own divisions. I would then ban the DH, body armor, and those stupid lizard helmets that some teams wore last season. I would create a facilities fund into which all teams would pay. The money would be used to provide low interest loans to team seeking to build new stadiums so that they don't have to hold cities for ransom for ballparks. I would make owners like Jeffrey Loria sell his team before it could move. If he does sell, I'd never let him back in. I would require all TV contracts to be negotiated through MLB offices to ensure that all teams have TV contracts at fair market value, so that teams that own their own cable tv channels couldn't hide revenue through their TV deals.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

More ideas....
    Have the DH Mandatory for every All-star game.. ridiculous to see a American league pitcher come to bat in a all-star game(as well as a NL pitcher)

Shorten Spring training from 30 games to 20 games. This will help get the season started a week earlier and hopefully keep the playoffs and World Series in October. Double Headers should be brought back. Each team plays two double headers each at home and on the road.
    This gives baseball a chance to give the players a week off (2 extra days prior to the all star-game and 2 days after the 3 days that are normally off). This allows players not having to fly across country to get to the all-star game the night before when that players team is on the opposite coast! This also allows pitchers to get extra rest to either participate in the game, or be rested for the 2nd half of the season to start.

Have all post season games played earlier and NEVER start 2 play-off games at the same time!!

To help all teams get bigger revenue, have MLB channels setup that every home can access with NO BLACKOUTS!! Have it so you have different types of packages at different prices to pay monthly, or a discount to pay all season to include the playoffs. Then all the revenue can be split equally. this will mainly help where places that are not close to a MLB team, can gain new fans and they can pay for the package that best suits them.. Maybe have a package that you pick 5 teams for $19 a month to follow every game they play.(say you pick the Reds, Mariners, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals. You pay $19 a month to watch every game they play. You get every game they play on the ML channels and you still get to watch the other teams when they play one of the 5 you picked.) Just a idea that might work. could have a special month where you ad $1 and with the millions of homes doing so, have a contest to win a trip to Cooperstown or to a game of one of the teams you picked.

just ideas..

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

- Two divisions in each league
    - CS and WS are both 9 games long: 3 home, 3 away, 3 home. Only breaks are travel days.

That's a start. The regular season sorts out who the best few teams are. Then they have to prove it in a decent chunk of games in the playoffs. I hate that the team structure built to win in the regular season is different than for the playoffs. You need a 4th and 5th starter for your first 162 games, why should you get half your post-season starts from 2 guys?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?