Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Redsfest report

Re: My Redsfest report

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Maybe we aren't giving Narron and company enough credit because the way I understand that statement, they recognize the problem also. That's at least half the battle.
    Krisvsky said a similar thing to GAC. Basically the conversation was, "Can we get Jr. out of center?" To which Wayne responded, "Touchy subject. Jerry gets to handle that one."
    Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My cousin's girlfriend has a friend whose sixth-grade teacher's brother manages the Precinct and at Redsfest Krivksy told him that the Reds are signing Zito and buying him an organic tomato farm.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My cousin's girlfriend has a friend whose sixth-grade teacher's brother manages the Precinct and at Redsfest Krivksy told him that the Reds are signing Zito and buying him an organic tomato farm.

I should have hyped up my story better. Like that one dude.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Oh, one more thing that I can't leave out: AFTER the fashion show they played the Pixies and the Clash on the loudspeakers. Great, guys. that's my last word on the fashion show.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

I should have hyped up my story better. Like that one dude.
    Your story is a little more reliable.

...and a satin pillow factory.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Gary Redus Ruled

The "stay tuned "part makes me wonder...is Griff on the move or are they bringing in a cf'er who can actually play center with Griff conceding a move to a corner spot if they get one? hmmmmmmm
    Hoping for another Reds October

My report, in incongruous tidbits:

2. The fashion show. OMG. The fashion show was almost the main reason I went. I was excited about the uniforms but also extremely curious about what a fashion show at a baseball convention might entail. You guys have been to high-end professional fashion shows, right? Ok, me neither, but we all know that fashion shows involve a runway, fast-walking people, exciting music, and interesting clothes. Things fashion shows DO NOT involve include:

1. narration
    2. songs that end, leaving the model to walk in silence, and then are backed up a few bars for extra music
    3. poorly-constructed props
    4. one model who graduated from the "sweater acting" school, ie. if you pull your sleeves over your hands you're clearly going to look demure and 14 and absolutely riconkulous (note: when her sleeves were taken away fromm her, she improved greatly, as she did in the evening gown portion. As most people do improve in evening gowns, I suppose.)
    5. velour pantsuits. Velour ANYTHING.
    6. Mr. Red

So the fashion show was sponsored by Macy's. Fine. You know they're going to throw promotion in there. Streetwear, even. And believe me, there may not have been a person in that audience who loves seeing evening gowns more than I do. But this was basically a Macy's fashion show, with your typical boring department store clothes, with a woman off to the side TELLING US WHAT'S IN FASHION THIS SEASON. UNACCAPTABLE. Gee, I never would have known that "black is the new black" if Macy's rep hadn't told me. Seriously, Macy's. Fashion magazines are for words. Fashion shows are for visuals. Anyone who knows that black is a great fashion color already knows it, and the best place to teach the rest of them is not at a BASEBALL CONVENTION. And lighting! There was no real lighting! It's a convention, people. Scrounge up some money to rent a few lights from the local theater warehouse and hire a few college kids to hang them up. It's easy! I swear, my cousins and I were putting together more professional fashion shows in the backyard with soundtrack by Madonna in 1986.

I envisioned a beautiful Reds fashion show, with awesome music (and I totally prepared a splendiferous mix of runway-worthy high-energy baseball-themed songs Wednesday night, I did), and clever clothing. Bring the girl out in her streetwear, but put her in high socks. Fashion a dude's outfits around cleats, a little wacky and fun. Hire a couple of actors and actresses and bring in a little fake baseball game action to go with the music (miming a pitcher's throw, have a little pickle action.) Instead of having everyone in the eveningwear section carrying the same dumb present with a red bow, have them come out with clever little Reds-themed gifts (fun AND promotional). People would have eaten it up. As it was I was appalled. Will mankind never learn that two of its greatest creations, baseball and beautiful clothes, do not have to live independently of one another.

The models did a nice job, and one of them was wearing awesome red stiletto ankle boots that I will be coveting from now until I'm rich. And the uniform section (covered elsewhere) was awesome. The cheerleaders did a nice job, but I swear to God I've heard that freaking song at every sporting event I've been to since junior high (dah dah dah dah dah dah - HEY! - dah dah dah dah). Who is picking these people's music? And can this person hear? Oh, and also, a couple of players' wives (Mrs. Valentin -- wife of catcher Xavier Valentin (yes, the narrator was skilled in other ways too) and Mrs. Coffey -- very well-done) and kids (a front office guy's daughter and Valentin's kid, actually named Xavier, who is the cutest. kid. ever.)

Clothes: D+
    Uniforms: A-
    Models: B
    Cheerleaders: B
    Overall show: F-------

WOW...very thoughtful and insightful analysis of fashion shows...perhaps the best I have ever read. This should be included in the redszone faq... My biggest petpeeve in the whole world is an inexperienced male model mincing rather than sauntering while in sweatwear......

Anyone happen to be participating in the Celebrity Poker Tournament today? Would love to hear a report from that..

Thank you Simone.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Just got back from Redsfest. I had mixed emotions on the whole event.

Positives:
    It was great to see and experience Reds baseball for the first time in 2 months. All the Reds memorabilia, displays, Reds players walking around, and the baseball hype on everyone's mind made for a good atmosphere.

Negatives:
    Autograph and Photo lines were ridiculous. I understand players can't be available all day, but the way the lines were organized was horrible. To get a Ryan Freel Auto this afternoon, you had to stand in a line that didn't move for 30-45 minutes prior to when he was going to show up, then you had to wait just as long to get the signature. I guess its a good sign that the crowds were big.

Overall, it was a fun event as long as you didn't expect to get a lot of autographs.
    Hey Marty, This is Adam from Milwaukee...

The lines can be bad, but the current system is lightyears better than in past years when you had to stand in a line like that to get a ticket that then allowed you to stand in the real line for the autograph.

Talk about a monumentally frustrating waste of time.
    Makes all the routine posts.

All I can say is....thank you Mr. Castellini for reestablishing the early hours for season ticket holders. If not for that, it would have been a negative experience. After 12:00, I hate to sound arrogant here, was "amateur hour". May I ask why anyone would bring an infant to RedsFest? There were literally dozens upon dozens of strollers there after 12:00. The players & coaches were cool enough to pose for pictures and sign autographs randomly between 10 and 12, and that made my 3 boys very happy. They got to hit in the cages, play on the mock field, and do the speed pitch. We got to browse the memorabilia area and laugh at the overpriced merchandise (a Wilton Guerrero BP Jersey for ony $130), and the season ticket only Q&A was great. Once noon hit and it looked like Wal-Mart at 5:00 am on the day after Thanksgiving, we were on our way up the escalator.

My advice to Phil Castellini is to say thank you, great job of marketing, really appreciate the season ticketholder preview, but next year 1) make it Friday-Sunday and 2) limit daily ticket sales.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Well, this amateur season ticket holder was there after about 1:30pm today, and I had nothing but a POSITIVE experience (remember Flynnie, your three boys were probably in strollers once upon a time ). It was crowded, it was a tremendous family experience, and there was a lot of excitement in the air for Reds baseball; and I was very happy to see this. I loved seeing all the little guys decked out in their Reds gear, and I even took the opportunity to buy a black batting practice jersey for the ridiculously low price of $37, because it was last years model. The new uni's look great; new uniforms are like wiping the slate clean and starting all over again.

The Reds employees were all very friendly and helpful. I went to the season ticket area and got some great help in renewing and moving my 20 game pack to slightly better seats. The Cincinnati Bell pavilion on top of the batter's eye is going to be a nice place to stand on a hot summer night, drink a cold beer and watch Freel or Denorfia track down flyballs in gap, calling off Griffey who'll be over in right. I saw WK from a distance, and no trade rumors came my way.

I'm glad I'm not an autograph hound, because the lines were very long and slow moving, and to get around, you had to cut through a line here and there. No problem. The memorabilia section was excellent, and brought back a lot of great memories. I got to stand and watch two of my favorites, Eric Davis and Dave Concepcion, sign and talk with patrons- both seemed to be having a great time.

Oh, and BTW, the convention center is looking great; parked in the garage on the skywalk level and basically strolled right into the place.

All in all, a great time. I had no expectations of it being anything more than a well, baseball convention, so I wasn't disappointed. It got my juices going again, and I'm ready for WK to go to the winter meetings and come back with some answers.

Awesome questions Cedric, and even better answers. I'd like tot ake that as good news.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Turn Off Ads?