Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Following Troy Smith

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Following Troy Smith

Who will replace Troy Smith next year? They have a few options between Boekman and Schoensoft, but I'm intrigued by Antonio Henton simply because I like the idea of a double threat QB and he's supposedly a great athlete. And supposedly he can throw better than Smith when he got to Columbus. The only problem will be I'm not sure he'll be reay by next year, and it will difficult to unseat an incumbent unless they bomb.

Thoughts? Boekman, Schoensoft, or Henton?

Add to that they're returning two stud RBs in Pittman and Wells, along with plenty of talent at WR and Alex Boone should be one of the best O-lineman in the country. Virtually the entire defense will be returning with a full year of experience. I think they'll miss Smith and they probably won't repeat what we saw this year, but they could wind up being a damn good team next year as well. Although, Michigan wil probably come into the season ranked #1. They'll be legit national titel contenders next year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Re: Following Troy Smith

The scoop on the QB position is that Boeckman gets first crack. He will be a fifth year junior, and knows the offense inside and out. He can make all the throws, the problem is he hasn't really played that much since his junior year of high school. His senior year he was banged up on a average St Henry team, and missed some time.

Schoenhoft is cut from the same cloth as Boeckman just less experience, and he came from Cin St X, where they ran an option attack, with a 6' 6" QB.

Henton is basically a more athletic Troy Smith. He was the Atlanta Journal Constitution Georgia Player of the Year, last year. He is said to be a pure physical talent, who is a "lightbulb player" it is just a matter of how long it is until he can make the reads, and grasp the offense. Think a similar development curve to Troy Smith, so he is probably another year away from getting any real PT.

Pittman is rumored to be leaving for the NFL. OSU is rumored to be getting back in on some of the top HS running backs, and they will have early PT to give. Ginn is most likely gone, and Gonzalez is weighing his options. Early departures could eviscerate the offense. The cupboard won't be bare, but you can look forward to a more conservative Buckeye offense circa 2002-2003.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

It would be a big mistake for Ginn to go, although I can understand where he's coming from. He needs more seasoning as a receiver as opposed to being just a great athlete. It would be a bigger mistake for Pittman. I wonder if the presence of Wells is influencing that decision. He's a great college RB, but I don't see him as anything higher than a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I'd be shocked if Gonzales left. He also wouldn't be a very high pick and he's really into the academic part of college (imagine that).

Even so, Chris Wells will be enough and Gonzales (I'm assuming he stays) will be a nice #1 and the Buckeyes are a receiver factory, so I doubt they lose too much if Ginn is gone.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'd lean towards Boeckman also, just based on his experience in the system and the fact that he seemed to be well thought of even back when the QB competion was open. But anything can happen. It's part of what makes coolege sports fun for me is to see how the new kids step in.

I have nothing to back this up except a recollection, but I thought Gonzo had fairly clearly stated somewhere in an interview earlier this year that he'd certainly be back.

I agree that it seems Ginn could use another year also to shine even more than he has so far, but its always hard to argue with a guy coming out if he's well thought of enough to get some decent money from the get go.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I don't agree with Pittman going pro, but the whispers are there. I do agree if Ginn and Gonzo go though. Wide recievers can get really hurt in draft position if they don't have the same success they had once their star QB graduates. Ginn is probably the third rated WR in the draft after Calvin Johnson, and Dwayne Jarrett.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

My vote is for Antonio Henton, but the first shot will go to Todd Boeckman. Henton is going to be a stud....mark it down.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

LoganBuck you dont know much. Pittman is not gone he is coming back because he has said he wants to win the heisman. Ted Ginn is definitly gone, Gonzo has already stated in the papers that he is coming back.

As for the QB situation, If I had to put money on it I would say Boeckman just because Tressel likes the eperience. But if Henton shows improvement and can learn the playbook he might leapfrog everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman44 View Post
    LoganBuck you dont know much. Pittman is not gone he is coming back because he has said he wants to win the heisman. Ted Ginn is definitly gone, Gonzo has already stated in the papers that he is coming back.

As for the QB situation, If I had to put money on it I would say Boeckman just because Tressel likes the eperience. But if Henton shows improvement and can learn the playbook he might leapfrog everyone.
    Situations change. Do you really think Pittman can get enough carries to win the Heisman while sharing carries with Chris Wells? Pittman isn't in McFadden or Slaton's league. Hart is a good comparison but Hart will have an experience QB, and won't have to share the carries with a wunderkind.

Gonzo is said to be 50-50 to come back. Like I said, right now he has a probable Heisman Trophy winner as his QB next year he has a first year starter, Tressel's conservative play calling, and no Ted Ginn. How much can he improve his draft stock? Also, remember he redshirted his freshman year, he should be on pace to graduate this winter/spring.

I'll be shocked if Boeckman doesn't open the year as the starter. I honestly don't know much about Henton, but it sounds like he'll be a bit too raw next year to put him in.

Personally I think Pittman has to go pro after this year, and I'd guess he does. As good as he's been, and he's been a bit undervalued since Smith and Ginn get all the headlines, he's got to see the writing on the wall with Chris Wells. He may as well go now while his stock is higher than wait another year and have Wells take even more of his carries. He'll be a hotter prospect now than he will a year from now.

Danny - very well said. What is the point in Pittman coming back? Heisman? He will be lucky if he is still the starter halfway through the season. Not a rip on Pittman, I think he is good, but Wells is a freak. Wells should also make things a quite a bit easier on whoever wins the QB job.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Danny - very well said. What is the point in Pittman coming back? Heisman? He will be lucky if he is still the starter halfway through the season. Not a rip on Pittman, I think he is good, but Wells is a freak. Wells should also make things a quite a bit easier on whoever wins the QB job.
    Wells has a lot to learn. He doesn't have the best patience or vision at this point. You are being a little naive if you really think Jim Tressel would take Pittman out of the lineup for Chris Wells.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Wells has a lot to learn. He doesn't have the best patience or vision at this point. You are being a little naive if you really think Jim Tressel would take Pittman out of the lineup for Chris Wells.
    I really think Chris Wells will force Tressels hand next year. I understand he still has alot he needs to improve. I just think people are going to be amazed at how good he ends up being and I think he will make some huge improvements by next season.

Another thing I just thought of for Pittman is that this year's RB class is not very good at all. Next year's will be strong with Slaton, Hart, and McFadden all probably going into the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Another thing I just thought of for Pittman is that this year's RB class is not very good at all. Next year's will be strong with Slaton, Hart, and McFadden all probably going into the draft.
    There are small rumblings about Antonio leaving this year. He isn't the type of athlete that will get a huge bump in his stock next year. His body type and the style of his running isn't conducive to a long NFL career either. I think he should head for the NFL with his stock at an all time high and for the reasons you just wrote about.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    There are small rumblings about Antonio leaving this year. He isn't the type of athlete that will get a huge bump in his stock next year. His body type and the style of his running isn't conducive to a long NFL career either. I think he should head for the NFL with his stock at an all time high and for the reasons you just wrote about.
    He's gone...mark it down. I have talked with people in the program and they have all told me he's gone at separate times since the Michigan game.

One interesting thing one of my friends with the program has said is he expects Maurice Wells to have a breakout year next year. It seems to me like quite a few people think he could possibly have a huge next year along with Chris Wells who we all are expecting to have a big year.

Should be interesting to see how that pans out as well. The defensive line scares me more than RB or QB though.

Turn Off Ads?