Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Uniforms

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: New Uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I love plain white uniforms, like the Tigers have.
    Me, too, woy, and I would have loved for the Reds to go back to the '69-71 uni's, but the Cards beat them to it, and I really do like Cards uni's.

Here's what Paul Lukas, of the Uni Watch Blog has to say: http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2006/12/...e-red-hot-etc/

to sum: It's mostly all good, except for 1) the black-drop shadowing, especially of the nameplate ("stupid"), which clutters things up, and makes harder to read, and 2) the piping, which he finds "cluttering."

He might have a point with the nameplates; we'll just have to see how hard they are to read when we get to ballpark conditions. I disagree with him on the piping- it's a great touch, is not overdone. Without it, it would too much resemble the Cards uniform, which I consider to be exquisite simple beauty, but alas, they beat us to it (don't they always seem to do so?) and without the piping, the Reds would just be copying the look, some would say.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Original enough that the Jays, Rays and D backs all sported them, I found the vests tired myself. As well as the pinstripes, which will always belong to NY and the Giants & Yankees in my eyes.

I love plain white uniforms, like the Tigers have.
    The Reds were the second team (behind the Cubs) to ever use vests, and they brought back that look in 1993. All three teams you listed followed the trend and added the vests after that.

Did the Giants ever have pinstriped vests? I know the Yankees didn't.

Plain white uniforms? You've got to be kidding.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Plain white uniforms? You've got to be kidding.
    Well not like a sheet, with logo, piping and name it isn't so plain.

Well not like a sheet, with logo, piping and name it isn't so plain.
    I know, I've seen them. They're interesting in that they're unique, but I think they'd get boring real quickly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I know, I've seen them. They're interesting in that they're unique, but I think they'd get boring real quickly.
    Not if the team is winning in them...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Not if the team is winning in them...
    I guess that sums it up. Some liek them others (like me) hate them, but if they win in them, I could care less what they wear.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The problem with red pinstripes on a white uniform is that, from a distance and in photographs, the red pinstripes tend to blend in with the white uniform to make it appear "pink." I'm not a fan of the color pink.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I guess that sums it up. Some liek them others (like me) hate them, but if they win in them, I could care less what they wear.
    I felt that way about the double-knits starting in 1972. I the previous uniforms (and they are still my favorite of all time). But I accepted the other because of the history.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The problem with red pinstripes on a white uniform is that, from a distance and in photographs, the red pinstripes tend to blend in with the white uniform to make it appear "pink." I'm not a fan of the color pink.
    I remember how Dave Burba sweated like a wedge of fatback in those pin-striped caps of the mid-90s;
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I think BP has the right attitude about the new unis...

http://reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Reds unveil new-look uniforms
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- So long, sleeveless jerseys.
    Farewell, pinstripes. Goodbye to you too, black caps and helmets.

Welcome back, Mr. Redlegs.

Anticipated for months, the Reds unveiled their new uniforms for 2007 on Friday at Redsfest. It was the club's first major uniform change since 1999.

"These are sweet," Reds catcher David Ross said.

Cincinnati will feature three different uniforms styles -- for home games, road games and a red-colored alternate jersey top. The Reds front office, headed by chief executive officer Bob Castellini and senior director of business operations Phil Castellini consulted with Major League Baseball on the uniform renovations.

"It was about how do you wrap up the tradition of the franchise and get a look that will last you hopefully, a decade or two at the same time?" Phil Castellini said "We are not a team that plans on doing a new uniform every two years just to sell merchandise. We want to be like the Yankees and the Cards, where it's the same uniform year after year. We want the core base to be the same so that your kids, my kids and their kids remember the Reds with that uniform."

The home look will feature white uniforms with red trim on the front and red piping on the side of the legs. On the left sleeve is a logo of handlebar mustached "Mr. Redlegs" carrying a bat. It was an acknowledgement of a logo the Reds used during 1950s and 60s before the baseball headed "Mr. Red" was ushered in during the late 1960s.

As in past generations of their uniforms, the "wishbone C" with "Reds" remains prominent on the left front side. The uniform number is on the right side of the chest. An old-fashioned font was created that will be unique from all other Major League lettering styles.

Also returning is the all red cap with the familiar "wishbone C" logo on the front.

The new lettering font is also emblazoned on gray road uniforms with "Cincinnati" across the chest in the color red. The caps will be similar to what was worn at home from 1999-2006 -- red with a black bill.

The alternate home jersey is red with white trim and the "wishbone C" and "Reds" on the chest

For the first time since 1992, the Reds are going without the sleeveless vest jerseys. Also gone are pinstripes and the heavy leaning on the color black -- especially on the road uniforms.

Players offered their seals of approval.

"I like sleeves a lot better, personally. I never liked sleeveless," Ross said.

"I like the old-style look they've got going," pitcher Brandon Claussen said. "I'm a sleeves guy too because I'm not known for my big guns or anything."

Reds players showed off their new duds during a special fashion show for fans at Redsfest inside the Duke Energy Center. Brandon Phillips, Todd Coffey and Chris Denorfia served as models for each look. Coffey did his trademark sprint from the bullpen, but this time it was on the fashion catwalk.

"I like it. It's all right by me," Phillips said of the new jerseys while wearing the new alternate top. "The sleeveless look never bothered me. We should be happy to wear a uniform in Major League Baseball. As long as we go out and win in them, we should be all right. It could be a T-shirt. As long as we win, I don't care."

Just before the start of the uniform fashion show, Bob Castellini was enthusiastic about the final results.

"I like it. It's what we wanted," Castellini said. "We've got the players to buy into it. A lot of people -- from Johnny Bench to players and scouts and all the people that bleed red -- saw these uniforms and there was a consensus. There wasn't a lot of argument. It's what everybody came to. It's like revisiting the 'Big Red Machine' with a little more modern flare. We have the traditional with the 21st century."

Obviously, there is no data that indicates that wearing new uniforms equate to improvement in the win-loss column. But many felt the Reds new jerseys looked like winners.

"These are playoff uni's," Ross said.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

A lot of people -- from Johnny Bench to players and scouts and all the people that bleed red -- saw these uniforms and there was a consensus.
    I'd actually be afraid if the Reds knew people who didn't bleed red.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd actually be afraid if the Reds knew people who didn't bleed red.
    What? Got a problem with Vulcans, Dr. McCoy?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I assume that they will continue to wear black shoes. Anyone hear anything about the color of the jackets and what they will look like?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I assume that they will continue to wear black shoes. Anyone hear anything about the color of the jackets and what they will look like?
    I can't find anything on the Reds or any other team for 2007, Randy. MLB Shop is still showing last year's stuff. You'd think they'd want to get these things out for Christmas. Like you, I certainly hope they're mostly red, with only a little black. Last year's jacket would have been beautiful if the red and black had been reversed.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I don't think they could've possibly done a worse job designing these new uniforms. The road ones are horrible, they are extremely bland, as are the home ones really, but at least the red piping adds a little something. I do like the red alternates, but they're not any different than the current ones. The lettering is terrible, it's difficult to read, especially with the drop shadow. I certainly will NOT be purchasing one of these abominations.

Turn Off Ads?