Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Uniforms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Uniforms

I figure this deserves a thread separate from the Fanfest thread.

How do you all feel about the new uniforms?

I'll reserve judgment until I see more well-lit photographs and not just the images I saw from the webcast. I'm thankful that they have done away with the sleeveless look, and I won't miss the red pinstripes. The uniform once again makes Red the predominant color, and I like the idea behind the new home/away caps.

The silence was kind of painful when Phil Castellini asked for questions about new uniforms; but then again I'm not sure what kind of questions I would ask in the first place - I'm not a textiles expert!

So I'll be curious to hear others' thoughts...

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: New Uniforms

The MLB.com shop sent me an email about "new gear" with this here link:

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2566634

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    The MLB.com shop sent me an email about "new gear" with this here link:

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2566634
    WOW thanks for the link!

Home:

Away:

Alternate Home:

I would have liked to seen the alternate home as the regular home, but all things considered I really like the new uniforms. Simple, and a bit retro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Like I said, I absolutely love them. The home uniforms, at least on the web feed, appear a little off-white, which seems very retro to me (almost looks like flannel). I also like the Mr. Red patch.

But the big thing for me is the new typography--I think it's very unique and looks sharp. I've long admired those teams that have instantly recognizable uniform typefaces (think of the Pirates, for example) and the alternate uniforms especially look good with the new numbers (the generic ones always seemed a little cheap to me, especially since we had a few players last year with really long last names).

I also love the all red caps. I hope we get on a home winning streak early and they start wearing the red caps on the road too, but I'm not greedy.

A nod to tradition with a new twist. Great success!

I hate them. All the red and white with no contrasting color seems to bleach them out. I hate the piping (looks too much like the Braves and Red Sox). Red should be teh primary color, but this is too much of a reach toward 1975-76.

JMO, of course, but I liked the vests. They were unique.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    the piping (looks too much like the Braves and Red Sox)
    That was my first impression, as well. But I 'spect they'll grow on me
    Never overlook the obvious

sweet
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

What do the hats look like?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What do the hats look like?
    Plain red with the home and alternate, red with black bill for road.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Plain red with the home and alternate, red with black bill for road.
    Anybody have a picture?

EDIT:
    I'll answe rmy own question.

Well, I like them a lot better than the previous uniforms. Not quite the classic simplicity of the 68-71 models, but they look good. I like the new font in the vertically arched letters on the road jersey. If anyone can get a picture of them with numbers, player name and sleeve patches, I'd appreciate it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

From the looks of the home jerseys, they should be investing in 50 gallon drums of bleach.

I like the home jersey and hat, but agree that the late sixties look would have been better. Nevertheless, I like the home uniform and even the road jersey. I don't understand, however, why a black bill is on the visitor cap. If the uniform is red and gray, it seems like the hat should be, as well. The black bill just looks like a holdover from the old uniform that kinda matches, but not really. I would have liked to see a grey and red had maybe with a black shadow around the letter. It's still an improvement. Anyway, my main wish is to see some better players IN the uniforms that better uniforms alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay View Post
    I like the home jersey and hat, but agree that the late sixties look would have been better. Nevertheless, I like the home uniform and even the road jersey. I don't understand, however, why a black bill is on the visitor cap. If the uniform is red and gray, it seems like the hat should be, as well. The black bill just looks like a holdover from the old uniform that kinda matches, but not really. I would have liked to see a grey and red had maybe with a black shadow around the letter. It's still an improvement. Anyway, my main wish is to see some better players IN the uniforms that better uniforms alone.
    I could see a grey hat with a red bill for the road. Like the road hat here

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Based upon the pictures above: BLECH!

They are pretty bland and generic looking. Not much to like about the pin stripping (unless you're a Red Sox fan).

Are the road unis really that dark a grey? Hopefully it's my monitor or something. If the pants are the same color they'll look like they are playing in pajammas. The type face smacks of someone trying to convey something but not knowing what and succeeding at failing.

Personally, I love the vests and they've been synonymous with Cincinnati baseball for more than 50 years. Why discontinue that if you want to march down the heritage path?

All in all, they are even worse than I feared they'd be. I guess it's time to get some new owners so we can go through this again in two years. :

Rem

Turn Off Ads?