Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BA: Draft Order

Re: BA: Draft Order

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Perhaps I am mistaken, but the Reds should also have their regular second round pick, which should be around number 78. The publications list the additional or changed picks, but don't always list the regular picks after the first round.

So I think the Reds have 5 picks through number 103 (which is the third round choice).

If they spend the money to sign these five selections and use them wisely, it should be a big boost to the system. I hope they do.
    You know i was thinking they had a pick between that 50 and 100 picks but i just wasnt sure how it all worked. But anyways.... that makes it even better. Thanks for letting me know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    I just picked up the Baseball America Prospect Handbook and in the back of the book it list the signing bonus' for the '06 and '05 drafts for the top 100 picks. That got me thinking about how much we are looking at for the '07 draft in signing bonus'.

Right now the Reds have picks 15, 37, 52, 104. In 2006 the signing bonus for around those four picks are right around 3.6 million and in 2005 it was right around 3.5 so in '07 its going to be right around that much to sign those top 4 draft picks.

It also list the budgets for the last 4 drafts: 2003-3.1 million, 2004-4.7 million, 2005-3.8 million, and 2006-3.9 million.

So pretty much the Reds are going to have to up the budget for the draft this year or go cheap. Do teams typically set the budget around the draft picks or do they set a budget and then draft players that fit into that?
    This is the big question...whether or not they cheap out will tell a lot about the ownership, especially if some big name pitching falls due to $ concerns.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    So pretty much the Reds are going to have to up the budget for the draft this year or go cheap. Do teams typically set the budget around the draft picks or do they set a budget and then draft players that fit into that?
    I expect they'll probably budget whatever they figure it'll take to sign the picks they have. They got their picks signed quickly last year without any obvious punts due to signability... Whatever dumb or cheap things prior owners or GMs have done, the current occupants haven't given me reason to believe they'll cut corners on the draft. For a small-market team, that's just shooting yourself in the foot.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This is the big question...whether or not they cheap out will tell a lot about the ownership, especially if some big name pitching falls due to $ concerns.
    I don't expect any really big names to fall very far due to the new comp rules. I think there are plenty of teams out there just waiting to challenge Boras now.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Pick 103 is actually the Giants pick that we got for Aurillia, and our own 3rd round pick is 108. So the Reds have six picks in the top 108.

Supposedly it's a good, deep draft coming up. The Reds should have lots of intriguing talent on the board for those first six picks. This should make up for the last time the Reds went into the draft holding a bunch of extra picks, 2000, which turned out to be the worst draft class in history.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Reds pick at 37 was moved up to 34 because all of the Type A picks will be before Type B free agent picks. The Reds now have the 15th, 34th, 53rd, 2nd round pick, 103rd, 108.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/263316.html

The last two remaining compensation free agents still haven't signed. But there has been a reshuffling of the draft order, as Major League Baseball has announced a change in the sequence of supplemental first-round picks.

In the past, the supplemental first round mirrored the order of the other rounds, with no distinction made between the quality of free agents lost. Now all the compensation picks for Type A free agents (among the top 30 percent at their position) will come before those for Type B free agents (the best 31-50 percent). Choices for failure to sign a first-rounder from the previous draft will continue to come at the end of the first round.

The revised order:

First-Round Picks
    1. Devil Rays
    2. Royals
    3. Cubs
    4. Pirates
    5. Orioles
    6. Nationals
    7. Brewers
    8. Rockies
    9. Diamondbacks
    10. Giants
    11. Mariners
    12. Marlins
    13. Indians
    14. Braves
    15. Reds
    16. Blue Jays (Frank Catalanotto, A, to Tex)
    17. Rangers (Carlos Lee, A, to Hou)
    18. Cardinals
    19. Phillies
    20. Dodgers (Julio Lugo, A, to Bos)
    21. Blue Jays
    22. Giants (Jason Schmidt, A, to LAD)
    23. Padres
    24. Rangers (Gary Matthews Jr., A, to LAA)
    25. White Sox
    26. Athletics
    27. Tigers
    28. Twins
    29. Giants (Moises Alou, A, to NYM)
    30. Yankees
    Supplemental First-Round Picks
    31. Nationals (Alfonso Soriano, A, to ChC)
    32. Giants (Alou)
    33. Braves (Danys Baez, A, to Bal)
    34. Reds (Rich Aurilia, A, to SF)
    35. Rangers (Lee)
    36. Cardinals (Jeff Suppan, A, to Mil)
    37. Phillies (David Dellucci, A, to Cle)
    38. Blue Jays (Justin Speier, A, to LAA)
    39. Dodgers (Lugo)
    40. Padres (Woody Williams, A, to Hou)
    41. Athletics (Barry Zito, A, to SF)
    42. Mets (Roberto Hernandez, A, to Cle)
    43. Giants (Schmidt)
    44. Rangers (Matthews)
    45. Blue Jays (Catalanotto)
    46. Padres (Dave Roberts, A, to SF)
    47. Mets (Chad Bradford, A, to Bal)
    48. Cubs (Juan Pierre, B, to LAD)
    49. Nationals (Jose Guillen, B, to Sea)
    50. Diamondbacks (Craig Counsell, B, to Mil)
    51. Giants (Mike Stanton, B, to Cin)
    52. Mariners (Gil Meche, B, to KC)
    53. Reds (Scott Schoeneweis, B, to NYM)
    54. Rangers (Mark DeRosa, B, to ChC)
    55. Red Sox (Alex Gonzalez, B, to Cin)
    56. Blue Jays (Ted Lilly, B, to ChC)
    57. Padres (Alan Embree, B, to Oak)
    58. Angels (Adam Kennedy, B, to StL)
    59. Athletics (Frank Thomas, B, to Tor)
    60. Tigers (Jamie Walker, B, to Bal)
    61. Diamondbacks (Miguel Batista, B, to Sea)
    62. Red Sox (Keith Foulke, B, to Cle)
    63. Padres (Ryan Klesko, B, to SF)
    64. Diamondbacks (have yet to sign 2006 first-rounder Max Scherzer)
    Second-Round Changes
    67. Nationals (Soriano to ChC)
    69. Braves (Baez to Bal)
    71. Cardinals (Suppan to Mil)
    74. Athletics (Zito to SF)
    77. Mets (Hernandez to Cle)
    81. Padres (Williams to Hou)
    88. Blue Jays (Speier to LAA)
    Third-Round Changes
    99. Mets (Bradford to Bal)
    104. Reds (Aurilia to SF)
    107. Phillies (Dellucci to Cle)
    Fourth-Round Changes
    134. Padres (Roberts to SF)
    Remaining Compensation Free Agents
    NYY: Ron Villone (B).
    SD: Chan Ho Park (B).

Can someone simply expalin to me how teams get extra picks?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Can someone simply expalin to me how teams get extra picks?
    Some of their players get signed as free agents by other teams. If the player is good enough and the original team has offered that player arbitration, then they get a compensation pick dependent on his worth and the draft position of the team that signs him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

MegasAlexandros

Given Foulke announcing his retirement prior to reporting to spring training, do the Sox lose #62 thereby moving the Reds spot to #102?

Interesting Notes about the draft order:

The Padres have 8 of the first 88 picks.

The Giants have 6 of the first 51 picks but don't have a second, third or fourth round pick.

The Reds have 6 of the first 110 picks.

The Astros first pick is 112. So the Reds have six picks before the Astros pick first.

The Indians pick at 13 and then don't pick again until 138.

The Yankees don't have any supplemental picks this year.

The Red Sox first pick is 55.

The Rangers have 6 of the first 111 picks.

The Cardinals also have 4 of the first 83

I'm still trying to figure out the logic that not signing Scott Schoenweis entitles the Reds the #53 pick. Simply losing SS makes the Reds better. And they get a high pick as well?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This should make up for the last time the Reds went into the draft holding a bunch of extra picks, 2000, which turned out to be the worst draft class in history.
    I'm not sure that putrid even begins to describe the 2000 draft.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams...eds-2000.shtml

For as poorly as the Reds did drafting in 2000, they can hold their heads high. Matt Harrington was not only the biggest loser in the 2000 draft, but possibly the biggest loser in the history of the draft.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft...ound-1-1.shtml

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Matt Harrington may have had the worst advice ever in the history of baseball.....three or four different times.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Matt Harrington may have had the worst advice ever in the history of baseball.....three or four different times.
    sometimes when you make one bad decision you continuing making it to justify the first one.

He really got screwed over by his agent(Tanzer) and the Rockies. It become personal between the agent and the team and the kid ended up getting the shaft.

As far as I know he has pitched a little in the Indy leagues. I'm guessing the $3.5M or so is looking pretty good right now.

Turn Off Ads?