Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Departing staffer takes shots at Krivsky

Yay!

Departing staffer takes shots at Krivsky

Departing Reds staffer takes shots at Krivsky
    Longtime scout Barton says Cincy GM wasn't listening to his advice.
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — When Wayne Krivsky became general manager of the Cincinnati Reds in February, one of the main reasons was the support he received from two members of owner Bob Castellini's screening committee — special assistants Larry Barton Jr. and Gene Bennett.

As was reported at the time by the Dayton Daily News, Castellini had decided on special adviser Jim Beattie to be the GM, but the next day Barton and Bennett made impassioned cases for Krivsky, and Castellini changed his mind.

Now, 10 months later, Barton pulled a Johnny PayCheck and told Krivsky, "Take this job and shove it, I don't work here anymore."

Barton, one of two senior special assistants in charge of pro scouting, was offered a contract when his old one expired Oct. 31. But he quit after working for the Reds for 38 years — since Bob Howsam hired him in 1968.

"Wayne has changed," said Barton, confirming the Beattie/Krivsky scenario. "After what went on this year, I just had enough. Wayne isn't the person I thought he was."

Barton's main complaint is that Krivsky wasn't listening to his advice, especially the trade of Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez to the Washington Nationals for shortstop Royce Clayton and pitchers Gary Majewski and Bill Bray.

"Wayne came to me in the spring and said he could get (pitcher) Bronson Arroyo for an outfielder — Wily Mo Pena, Adam Dunn or Austin Kearns," said Barton. "Turns out Boston wanted Wily Mo, and that was fine because we had an extra outfielder."

But when Krivsky said he was trading another outfielder, Kearns, and a 25-year-old All-Star shortstop (Lopez) for an old shortstop (Clayton) and a couple of pitchers, "I told him I didn't like the deal and asked who was going to play shortstop next year, and he told me, 'I'm not worried about next year.' "

Barton said when the Reds were ready to acquire pitcher Eddie Guardado from Seattle, a scout told him Guardado had a bad arm that could blow any time, "But Wayne said he had talked to his agent and was told Guardado just had a bad back and his arm was OK."

Krivsky made the deal, and Guardado underwent Tommy John ligament transplant surgery in his elbow Sept. 8 and isn't expected to be able to pitch until the middle of next season.

Barton didn't agree with the Reds carrying three catchers all year in 2006, "Then (Krivsky) trades Jason LaRue, but signs Chad Moeller. So are they going to go with three catchers again? They need pitching, not three catchers."

Reds officials were told Barton retired, but he said, "I didn't retire. I'm not finished. I'll resurface with a job somewhere in baseball. I just got tired of fighting with him on the deals he made late last season."

Krivsky didn't want to get into a word battle and said, "I appreciate and respect everything Larry Barton has done for 38 years in the organization, and it was my understanding he was going into retirement, and I accepted that retirement message."

Find this article at:
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...20506reds.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Departing staffer takes shots at Krivsky

Could just be sour grapes, but interesting nonetheless.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Out with the Old...... I seriously doubt he is the last to go.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I think a look at the bigger picture is in order here.

The guy brought up some valid points, and they were summarily dismissed by Krivsky.

It says more about Wayne than it does Barton.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I think a look at the bigger picture is in order here.

The guy brought up some valid points, and they were summarily dismissed by Krivsky.

It says more about Wayne than it does Barton.
    You may have a point, but then again, the story broke in the Dayton Daily News with its old hand, Hal McCoy. Could be Hal grinding the axe. We'll see.

Not a good sign. And with some of the rumors buzzing around, rather than looking forward to trades/signings, I'm starting to fear the words "the Reds have an announcement..."

Sour grapes . . . and accurate points.

It has been reported that the general manager has made 40 some moves. People (fans have eyes to observe and to research) were disappointed with the moves or outcomes that the moves produced, seems plausible that staff members might disagree with his decisions also, some of those moves did look like someone wasn’t listening somewhere. Wait and see, but, don't forget what you already know.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Could just be sour grapes, but interesting nonetheless.
    ... or it could be the truth.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... or it could be the truth.
    It could be. And there probably is a lot of truth to what he's saying. It's also a no class move to spout off about your employer on the way out the door.

On one hand Barton's right. Krivsky fumbled in the middle of 2006 and there's no getting around it. His deals, if anything, made the team worse down the stretch. The Reds were 45-44 with a -15 run differential before the All-Star break. Then Krivsky dealt Kearns and Lopez and the team went 35-38 with a -36 run differential.

On the other hand, I've always been suspect of what Barton brought to the table other than a father who was in the game.

So, while Barton may be able to point out what Wayne Krivsky did wrong last summer (not hard to do because it's fairly obvious), I'm not convinced Barton's the sort who'd have been able to offer a better alternative.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Out with the Old...... I seriously doubt he is the last to go.
    TC - not looking for a character assasination here, but is this a good event for the Reds long term? Barton seems to be one of those guys whose name is spoken with a hushed reverence by some, but is this a case of being a good time to inject some new blood in the Reds?
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

I don't think it should be over looked ....Barton is a long time employee who advocated for Wayne K to get the job. So this is not like an employee who is a pain to get along with. He'd been around a long time.

It does make me wonder about Wayne K's ego. Sometimes when people rise to the level of management that Wayne K has --they get a little grandiose about things. Wayne has had a history of being around well run clubs and he may have thought that it was his own golden touch that led to their success. When the trade was made Wayne had a decent little run of pick ups that went his way. I'm wondering if he thought he could do no wrong -thinking along the lines that the GM job was easier than he thought.

Same thing happened to Ray Knight. When he took over for Davey Johnson, he made it quite clear to the media that managing was easy and he would do great things with the position. He even went out of his way to put down Johnson (one of the stranger things i have ever heard-there was no need to do such a thing). Ray had a case of narcissism and grandiosity that the karma gods took care of in short order. Sad thing was he never got over himself and to this day believes he did everything right....while everyone else just got lucky. Look up the director Peter Bogdonavich to see another example.

I'm hoping Wayne grows out of this. My guess is Barton doesn't believe he will.

I am not lamenting the loss of Barton. It is somewhat encouraging to hear that not everyone thought dealing Kearns and Lopez for flotsam and jetsam was a good idea.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Coop, it's also possible that Krivsky determined that Barton was representative of an in-house culture that needs to change. In general, I'm for a general reprogramming of the franchise DNA.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?