Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's No Longer Klinsmann...

It's No Longer Klinsmann...

Foxsports.com is reporting that the new US Men's National Team Coach will be Jurgen Klinsmann. Not a huge surprise but it will be interesting to see how it works out. I thought he would be out of the US price range ,but I'm glad to see I was wrong. He has a huge job ahead of him in fixing the development system in the US and dealing with the powers that be who think they know more about players than the coaches do. Best of luck to him though.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...8?FSO1&ATT=HMA

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's Klinsmann...

Good move. I like Jurgen, and he lives in the US so this is a natural fit for him.

Wonderful news.

Maybe, he'll bring a new mindset to the team.
    Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit. - E. Fudd

Least surprising news ever. Rarely will a national program and a coach fit each other's needs on paper so precisely.

Obviously it remains to be seen if everything works so peachy in practice, but it's nice to think that the U.S. will be playing a more aggressive brand of football. There's probably going to be some serious turnover on the U.S. roster as well. I doubt Claudio Reyna or Eddie Pope will be getting many more caps. I also expect Tim Howard will be installed as the team's top keeper.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Reyna and Pope both retired from international football after the World Cup (so did Brian McBride).

This is HUGEEEEE. Juergen won't play favorites like Bruce Arena was fond of doing. He'll foster a competitive atmosphere where no one's spot is guaranteed and your playing time is dictated by your form, exactly as it should be.

Tickled pink.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Excellent Choice!
    US Team soccer just leapt forward 10 years.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Bravo!

Landon Donovan better stop acting like Nancy Donovan or he could find himself riding the pine. Simply cannot wait to see how Juergen develops and utilizes a now surprisingly deep pool of potential internationals.

Erm...now everyone (except Fox) is reporting that there is no deal done as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Reyna and Pope both retired from international football after the World Cup (so did Brian McBride).
    Looked to me like they retired before the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Looked to me like they retired before the World Cup.
    I remember the anouncement was made during one of the matches, but I don't remember which one.
    Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit. - E. Fudd

That's bad news. And reading between the lines, it looks as though US Soccer wouldn't reliquish total roster control to Klinsmann. I guess they'll call Carlos Queiroz again...

It also signals more bad times ahead, but at least US Soccer can hang their hat on 2002, although it was a bit of a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    That's bad news. And reading between the lines, it looks as though US Soccer wouldn't reliquish total roster control to Klinsmann.
    That's certainly the way it looks to me too. You'd think that a national program that clearly doesn't know what it's doing would defer to a guy who clearly does.

Turn Off Ads?