Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 5 most un-athletic sports movie performances

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

The 5 most un-athletic sports movie performances

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 5 most un-athletic sports movie performances

Gary Cooper - Pride of the Yankees

Gary Cooper had enough problems batting right-handed let alone left-handed like Gehrig, so the actor wore a uniform with "KROY WEN" on the front, ran to third base when he managed to hit the ball, and then they reversed the print.

John Goodman - Babe
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    John Goodman - Babe
    I agree with that one. That should win every award.

This quote from the piece is flat out wrong:

"Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull
    While DeNiro may have spent months gaining and losing weight for his role as Jake LaMotta, his boxing, and the way Scorcese shoots the ring action, evokes a creepy snuff film more than an exciting boxing match."
    Stick to your guns.

Vince Vaughn also played a running back in Rudy not a quarterback. Probably made the mistake because he throws a TD pass on a half back option, but still the article had that wrong.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I'll give you a quick top 5 of worst performances in golf movies, IMO.

5. Matt Damon in Legend of Baggar Vance. The guy that played Bobby Jones had a pretty good looking swing though, so that has to count for something.

4. Judge Smails in Caddyshack. Sure, lie to me some more and tell me you never slice the ball.

3. Randy Quaid in Dead Solid Perfect. This needs no further explanation.

2. Tie. Shayla whatever his last name is in Greatest Game Ever Played. When you promised your dad you'd never play again, he probably thought to himself "It's about time you realize you have no talent." Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. There's a reason you call your swing the "unfinished symphony" when you're trying to cop a feel on Rene Russo. You have no follow through, and anyone can look decent hitting a golf ball when they don't follow through. Don't give me this crap that you don't follow through to keep the ball under the wind in Texas. Complete myth.

1. Don Johnson in Tin Cup. Don't even get me started.

Curious as to anyone's opinion on any of these 5.

I read that Quaid was a 3 handicap.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    2. Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. There's a reason you call your swing the "unfinished symphony" when you're trying to cop a feel on Rene Russo. You have no follow through, and anyone can look decent hitting a golf ball when they don't follow through. Don't give me this crap that you don't follow through to keep the ball under the wind in Texas. Complete myth.
    He also used a garden spade, rake and baseball bat to hit the ball in this movie. That helped him to lose some credibility for me as well lol

I disagree with White Men Can't Jump. I thought both were very believable in the roles they were playing.

I agree with the John Goodman sentiments. That was just embarassing.

My first thought when I saw the title was MIchael J. Fox in teen wolf. WOW, how can someone be that uncoordinated?

Who cares about Vince Vaughn in Rudy? Seriouly, he had to be an athlete for all of 10 seconds and it had no impact ont he movie.

I thought most of the baseball scenes in 8 Men Out were pretty bad.

What about Ralph Machio in The Karate Kid.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    That's what puzzles me about his performance. He's supposed to be a good golfer in real life, a low single digit handicapper and you might be right with 3.

Just didn't put a good move on the ball in that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337 View Post
    He also used a garden spade, rake and baseball bat to hit the ball in this movie. That helped him to lose some credibility for me as well lol
    Ironically, he actually put better swings on the ball using those than golf clubs. IIRC, he hit the golf ball lefthanded with the baseball bat, which might explain why his right handed golf swing looks awkward.

Great part of the movie though. You definitely see stuff like that go on.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Dennis Quaid is actually a 1.1. Randy is a 5.9.

Interesting: Don Johnson is an 8.1, Joel Gretsch, who played Bob Jones in the Bagger Vance movie is a 10 and Costner is a 10.8.

Long list of celeb golf handicaps here: http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i...odranking.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Dennis Quaid is actually a 1.1. Randy is a 5.9.

Interesting: Don Johnson is an 8.1, Joel Gretsch, who played Bob Jones in the Bagger Vance movie is a 10 and Costner is a 10.8.

Long list of celeb golf handicaps here: http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i...odranking.html
    Good stuff.

Although, handicaps should always be taken with a grain of salt. You'll always have 2 types of handicaps.

1. The ego handicap
    2. The sandbag handicap

Usually you'll find a mix of the 2, and it's more so to avoid the sandbag handicap when you're called a cheat for taking money on the course b/c you're getting way too many strokes than you probably deserve.

What amazes me about the handicap system is when you're supposedly good enough that your handicap goes to the + side. That basically means you're shooting under the course rating everytime you tee it up. More often than not, this means you're playing the wrong tees.

Of all the + handicaps I know and have played with, I'd say only 10% of them are legit. But you have to remember, the handicap system takes your most recent best 20 rounds, and uses that as an approximation of what you should shoot like 25% of the time.

Enough geeky golf pro talk.

Al Pacino was less then convincing in Bobby Deerfield...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Nick Nolte limping, squinting and mumbling his way through "North Dallas Forty" leapt to mind when I read the thread title. I really liked that movie at the time, though.

I dug the columnist's crack on Scott Bakula in the article, even though I've never seen "Necessary Roughness."
    Last edited by Unassisted; 12-07-2006 at 01:47 PM.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?