Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What do you use to heat your home ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heat Pump + Electric Furnace

12 28.57%
  • Heat Pump + Natural Gas Furnace

17 40.48%
  • Heating Oil Fired Furnace

3 7.14%
  • Baseboard Heaters

4 9.52%
  • Exotic (Solar, water, wood, magic)

2 4.76%
  • Other (explain)

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you heat your home?

How do you heat your home?

Since the first wave of cold has hit Ohio, thought it would be interesting to hear what people are using to heat their homes....

Casa da la Ltlabner uses heat pump + electric furnace. Pretty effecient and reasonable power bills. Unless we have a really cold winter that drags on (where heat pump becomes less effeicent) for a long time, it seems to be a good deal for this area.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How do you heat your home?

Radiators + natural gas furnace
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I am not sure if it qualifies as exotic, but we use water heat circulated by propane-fueled boiler. We have a huge cast iron radiator in our kitchen and smaller ones in each bedroom and one bath. In the other rooms we have old cast baseboard units. After having in previous homes electric and forced air, I don't think i'd ever have anything other than water again if presented with the choice.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

When I lived in California we had an electric heater in the main room, that was it... it rarely got cold enough that anything else was needed.

I have electric "heat."

Therefore, my place is cold.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    I have electric "heat."

Therefore, my place is cold.
    Our house is all electric also. I've heard that complaint from a lot of people. The temprature of the air at the register is far less with electric than with natural gas so it does feal colder.

Our old house was all electric and the "heat" there was pretty darn cold most of the time.

Our new home (new to us, but the furnace and heat pump are 1 year old) is also all electric and the heat actually comes out pretty warm. Maybe they made some advance in electric furnaces so the warm air is actually warm?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

La Dolce Vita

Since we live in the country and have about seven acres of woods, when we built our western red cedar log home 31 years ago we put in a wood stove and back-up electric baseboard heaters. My husband enjoyed cutting firewood then... About 20 years ago we added a gas furnace (Southern States tank). Before it starts getting too cold in the fall I just turn on the baseboard heaters in each room as needed. Rarely ever use the woodstove anymore. We also have a generator in case of extended loss of electric service, which has happened during ice storms.
    teach tolerance.

Man Pills

Me.

In the 7 years I've lived here, I have never had to turn on the heat in my apartment once. Of course it leads to some days in the spring where I have to open my balcony door when it's 40 out.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

What's a "Heat Pump"?

oneupper - Weston, FL

seriously, when it gets chilly we just throw the A/C into reverse.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I have a forced air natural gas furnace for the main part of house and supplemental electric wall heaters for the finished basement.

My house wa built in 1911 and originally each room had wood stoves and the lights were gas powered.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Gas...It sucks this time of year. I am on budget billing and my monthly gas bill is $117 per month.

All that so that my wife can gripe non-stop about being freezing to death in our 2,200 SF home. Ain't love grand?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I have a fire pit in my cave.

We heat with Vindaloo.

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Gas...It sucks this time of year. I am on budget billing and my monthly gas bill is $117 per month.
    I have to order oil, to be delivered to my home and stored in a tank underneath my driveway, I have to stand in the rain with a dip stick and check the level. It's a 500 gallon tank, last time I filled it was $2.35 a gallon, with 200 as the price break ($2.45 for less the 200) last year it was $2.85 at one point, so you can go with 250 gallons at $2.35 and that's $588 right there.. and then you hope you don't have to refill, but you have to wait until late April to be safe.

Turn Off Ads?