Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft to be televised?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

MLB Draft to be televised?

From the NY Post

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12062006...es_.htm?page=0

For the first time, the June draft is scheduled to be televised, with either ESPN or TBS likely as the host, said a person who was part of meetings on the matter. The plan is to televise the first and second rounds, and the sandwich round in between.
    Interesting indeed. I've been looking for this for quite some time. Glad to see it finally make headway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Draft to be televised?

JACKPOT!

I am really excited about this.... but I am also a complete weirdo.

Finally! If they can televise that stupid NBA draft lottery, they should at least do a couple rounds of the mlb draft. I wonder if they'll do it in cooperation with mlb.com? It'd be cool if TV and internet had different draft videos.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    JACKPOT!

I am really excited about this.... but I am also a complete weirdo.
    Can they change it to a Saturday?

"Can they change it to a Saturday?"

TIVO
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

As long as Chris Berman isn't there to "fill time," I'm there

I like this. It is about time. I enjoy watching all the drafts. This year will be exciting with the extra draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    "Can they change it to a Saturday?"

TIVO
    More like calling out sick. There's no way I'll be staying away from this site on draft day.

They need to lengthen the time between picks to enable some discussion between picks but not like the NFL where they have 15 minutes. Right now they can blast names out every 20 seconds.

How about a rule like: The next team to choose won't be called for 2 minutes. They then have 1 minute to make the selection. That's one pick every 2-3 minutes.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

At least for 2 rounds that would work Jax, but after the tv coverage they should go back to the 10 seconds a pick thing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    At least for 2 rounds that would work Jax, but after the tv coverage they should go back to the 10 seconds a pick thing lol.
    True.....

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

This will probably be brutal to watch for a year or two. A televised conference call. But it's a start. Eventually, this will be an event that interests more than just us hardcore baseball fanatics.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

If MLB would ever go to a "world draft" format, things could be even better. Instead we get "international signee day" and get to watch all the big teams gobble up the FA talent, per usual.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

every available draftee should have a pre-determined, value-based numerical ranking...and then every time a team makes a selection their collective draft score would increase...

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The Baseball America Rule V Draft Blog mentioned this again today

9 a.m.: And Roy Krasik of Major League Baseball is about to start. If all the plans come together, one of MLB's broadcast partners--ESPN, Fox or new partner Turner Broadcasting--will put together something similar and televise the Rule 4 draft, also known as the amateur or first-year player draft. First comes roll call, and then the picks . . . as soon as we hear 'em, we'll type 'em.

Turn Off Ads?