Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alabama and Rich Rodriguez?

Alabama and Rich Rodriguez?

Heard a rumor that it is looking likely that Rich Rodriguez will be leaving WVU and heading to Alabama. What I hear is 3 years and 21 million dollars.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alabama and Rich Rodriguez?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    What I hear is 3 years and 21 million dollars.
    Wow. That would make him the highest paid coach by a very healthy margin.

As much as I'd hate him to leave my beloved, disrespected conference, I can't blame him if he accepts that kind of dough.

Alabama is desperate to return to their former glory days. They are certainly throwing money at the problem.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

no way is he getting 7 mil a year. Thats more than double any coach in college football
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

3 years and 21 million dollars.
    I like the choice but not the money. I hope that is wrong. My Tide needs a great coach to get them out of this funk.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit. - E. Fudd

That figure has to be wrong. Pretty soon, the college coaches will be getting paid more than his players.

Sorry. 7 years----21 million is the rumor. Didn't realize that I had typed three years until this AM.

That's still a lot of money, but Alabama has recently been the place where football coaching careers go to die. If I was Rodiguez, I would consider my decision very, very carefully.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I think that Rodriguez has an offense that no one has been able to figure out. You know how I feel about WVU, RedsBaron, but I really think that Rodriguez is a very good and really innovative coach. I think he is the man that can turn the "Tide" at Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if he takes the job.

I think that Rodriguez has an offense that no one has been able to figure out. You know how I feel about WVU, RedsBaron, but I really think that Rodriguez is a very good and really innovative coach. I think he is the man that can turn the "Tide" at Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if he takes the job.

Boy, I'll bet you two Marshall fans would LOVE to see him go to 'Bama, wouldn't you?!?!

How on earth could you two still hate WVU after all the goodwill the basketball teams of the past couple of years and the football team this year have done for the states image?

I cheered pretty hard for Marshall during their run since they hit the national spotlight. Do you guys actually hate them so much that you root against them?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Boy, I'll bet you two Marshall fans would LOVE to see him go to 'Bama, wouldn't you?!?!

How on earth could you two still hate WVU after all the goodwill the basketball teams of the past couple of years and the football team this year have done for the states image?

I cheered pretty hard for Marshall during their run since they hit the national spotlight. Do you guys actually hate them so much that you root against them?
    Hey, I didn't say anything about hating WVU in my post. I don't know that any athletic team does all that much "goodwill" for a state, but I agree with Randy that Rodriguez is a really good and innovative coach. I posted that if I was him I would still consider any decision to take the Alabama job very, very carefully. In my opinion Alabama fans keep measuring any football coach to Bear Bryant and finding the successor to the Bear to fall short. It would be a challenge for Rodriguez, a challenge he might very well meet, but to meet it he will need to regularly defeat Auburn and win a national title within a few seasons. If he takes the Alabama job and goes 9-3 every year and doesn't beat Auburn, in a few years he will be unemployed.

RFS62,

Nahhh, I really don't care if he stays or goes. Either way, he is a really good coach.

I guess my disdain for WVU comes not so much from the University itself, but from the fans that I grew up around who trashed (and still trash) Marshall at every opportunity. I recently went to see Marshall play East Carolina, where the folks at ECU honored the members of the 1970 Marshall plane tragedy, with a ceremony and a plaque on the outside of their stadium at the visitors entrance. (Very classy move on ECU's part and what a classy bunch of fans) Matt and I sat in the midst of ECU fans and everyone around us kept mentioning one thing. "You guys from Marshall are a lot different than those **##@@** from WVU." They mentioned how badly they were treated on their trip to Morgantown in 2005 and how ugly the WVU fans were on their trip in to ECU this year. (Some of the instances they gave were pretty awful, not that I haven't experienced the same over the years)

Now I realize that all WVU fans are not the awful people that give the University a bad name, but the way that they have always looked down their noses at Marshall has jaded my view of the Mountaineers, so yes, I do root against them at every opportunity. (I did root for them up until I experienced the bad behavior first hand in the early '80's) My wife says that my favorite team is whoever is playing West Virginia on any given Saturday.

I'll leave it with this. I recently was back home and with some folks who were talking about the "We Are Marshall" movie which will debut very soon. One fellow looked at me and said:

"You know, they would have never been on that plane if they wouldn't have gotten thrown out of the MAC for cheating."

He was being totally serious. I just shook my head and didn't say a thing.

The "experts" have said that Bama has had good recruiting the last couple years also, FWIW. It'll be interesting to see if those kids stay, and if they do, how they develop.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

How come 'Bama can't seem to find a coach? The next one will make #8 since Bear Bryant. Not sure I'd be in a hurry to get there if I was Rodriguez.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

I live in Parkersburg, which is pretty much WVU country. People here turn down their noses at Marshall every time it is brought up.

I disagree with the interference by Manchin in setting up the agreement for the two schools to play. Marshall is on its way down and WVU is at elite status, and I think the governor even said in the news that he was regretting the decision for the two schools to play.

The two schools should play, but only if they want to.

As far as him going to Bama, I dont care either way, but the way he has handled this has been nothing short of spectacular. He might as well just leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

RFS62,

Nahhh, I really don't care if he stays or goes. Either way, he is a really good coach.

I guess my disdain for WVU comes not so much from the University itself, but from the fans that I grew up around who trashed (and still trash) Marshall at every opportunity. I recently went to see Marshall play East Carolina, where the folks at ECU honored the members of the 1970 Marshall plane tragedy, with a ceremony and a plaque on the outside of their stadium at the visitors entrance. (Very classy move on ECU's part and what a classy bunch of fans) Matt and I sat in the midst of ECU fans and everyone around us kept mentioning one thing. "You guys from Marshall are a lot different than those **##@@** from WVU." They mentioned how badly they were treated on their trip to Morgantown in 2005 and how ugly the WVU fans were on their trip in to ECU this year. (Some of the instances they gave were pretty awful, not that I haven't experienced the same over the years)

Now I realize that all WVU fans are not the awful people that give the University a bad name, but the way that they have always looked down their noses at Marshall has jaded my view of the Mountaineers, so yes, I do root against them at every opportunity. (I did root for them up until I experienced the bad behavior first hand in the early '80's) My wife says that my favorite team is whoever is playing West Virginia on any given Saturday.

I'll leave it with this. I recently was back home and with some folks who were talking about the "We Are Marshall" movie which will debut very soon. One fellow looked at me and said:

"You know, they would have never been on that plane if they wouldn't have gotten thrown out of the MAC for cheating."

He was being totally serious. I just shook my head and didn't say a thing.
    I have been to football games at WVU (where yes I did root for the Mountaineers) but not to any of the games against Marshall. I've read and heard of a lot of stories about how nasty the WVU partisans were to Marshall fans at this year's game in Morgantown, but those stories came from Marshall fans, so I took them with a grain of salt. There are always a few morons in every crowd, so I cannot condemn all WVU fans because of the reported misbehavior of some.
    Randy mentioned the "We Are Marshall" movie. I've read there is a scene in the movie that shows the then WVU coaching staff providing some assistance to Marshall following the crash.

Turn Off Ads?