Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton a Red

Re: Josh Hamilton a Red

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'm guessing they would.

Krivsky likely realizes that Hamilton will have zero value to the Reds this season. So if breaks camp with, I'm guessing they will stick with him as long as they have to. Using him at the beginning would indicate to me that they are willing to go with basically a 24 man roster for the season. He's obviously not ready to be a decent major league player.
    You have to. He's never played above A ball before, so you can't expect anything from this guy. I'd look for him to be the last man off the bench and be put in during blowouts.

I bet he starts the year on the DL, and goes on a Cody Ross rehab stint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Well he wasn't brought in to be a difference maker. He was brought in to get the occasional out for a month. He did that. That was awin for Krivsky. He served his purpose.

You can't judge every pick-up and expect difference making potential. Most of his pick-ups last year were quite small (and the only big one that didn't work out was Bray and Majewski, compared to what we gave up).
    No, I was told that Lohse, Guardado and Schoeneweis were wins.

I said they weren't.

There weren't any caveats.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    No, I was told that Lohse, Guardado and Schoeneweis were wins.

I said they weren't.

There weren't any caveats.
    It depends how you define "wins". If you define "wins" as being a player that presents huge impact, than there will be very few wins. It's not like we give up the future for guys like SS. In most deals we gave up nothing. In fact we may turn "cash considerations" into some draft picks in Schoenweis' case. What's not to like about that?

There were some moves that worked out just fine and shouldn't be considered poor moves.

I like it. Could anyone possibly be more motivated to have this work out than Hamilton? He's lucky he's not dead, and here he is with a second chance. If it doesn't work out and he relapses, all you are out of is a few bucks. That the Reds paid to move up and get him indicates there was more than a passing interest in the kid.

Who says the D-Rays take him back? I wouldn't be surprised to see us offer him back and the D-Rays pass. Then we ship him down to Chattanooga.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

And this is the same guy who went 1 for 27 in pitching acquisitions in 2006.
    I would say this is an exaggeration...but even so, I'd take 26 relatively cheap, throwaway acquisitions for a Santana or Liriano any day of the week.

You only have to strike gold once, and you usually have to go through a bit of tedious panning before you do.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Reds don't make a trade for this guy if they don't keep him on the 40-man roster. Good acquistion.

As for his addiction, I give him all the respect in battling his demons. Instead of criticizing him, we should pat him on the back for support.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I agree with you Krusty if they wern't going to keep him they wouldn't have Traded for him.

Wayne's best move since Phillips IMO.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I would say this is an exaggeration...but even so, I'd take 26 relatively cheap, throwaway acquisitions for a Santana or Liriano any day of the week.

You only have to strike gold once, and you usually have to go through a bit of tedious panning before you do.
    Great teams, though, now when to put the pan down and buy the damn gold ring.

Otherwise you're just a fetishist, like Bowden.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Without even going over it in a detailed way I see 4: Arroyo, Schoenweis, Guardado, Lohse.

why are Reds fans such simpletons these days..why can't we demand more from our team?

If Arroyo, Schoenweis, Guardado, and Lohse make you proud of our pitching then you have no reason to complain even once this year if we are a sub-500 team.

Bottom line: fans still have the most power in a pro baseball team. If the GM, owner, managers, or players are screwing up--voice your opinion. Dont go to games. Stop watching it on TV. Dont buy memoribilia. Dont buy tickets or concessions.

Money talks and us fans are where the Reds get it from.

There are 5 spots out there for the bench....Freel/Denorfia, Valentin, Castro all have spots. So that leaves 2 spots that Hamilton, Harris, Moeller, Hopper, and Crosby will have to fill. That is if they dont add another starting outfielder. If that happens then i think that will directly lead to a trade involving Denorfia or Freel. I love this move I really hope he works out even if its just a solid bench player.

Lohse? No way.

Guardado? The guy was basically on a list for a ligament donor when he was traded for. That was a losing acquisition all around.

IMO, the jury is still out on Schoeneweis. He threw something like 14 innings last year, though they were effective. I can't say that he was a difference maker. Extremely small sample size.
    Ok are you serious ? Guardado was acquired for a prospect whom was recently let go by the Mariners. It cost the Reds nothing but $$$ and Eddie produced while he was active! A player who contributes to a Franchise in the majors at a "very" effective rate , even if for a short period of time is far more valuable than a prospect who gets cut by the team that accepted him in a trade. I must add that it was not at a exorbitant $$$ amount either. Just in case you create a scenario of acquiring a player with a huge salary .
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Wayne's best move since Phillips IMO.
    Unless he stays on the 25 man roster all year and does not play or contribute. This team is not deep enough or good enough to afford that. And then there's the idea of three catchers...
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?