Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton a Red

Re: Josh Hamilton a Red

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    This is the part that raised red flags for me, and may come back to haunt...

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said he got a scouting report from manager Jerry Narron's brother...

Don't worry about it. All it said was that he Knows How To Win and he Plays The Game The Right Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    The potential this kid had or maybe still has in worth the risk. I really like this move! Who knows, maybe the Reds got there "Johan Santana Rule 5 player" like the Twins got.
    That was Wayne Krivsky who orchestrated the Johan Santana selection with the Twins. Wayne scouted him and was the guiding hand in choosing him. Wayne also insisted Terry Ryan get a kid named Francisco Liriano in a trade with the Giants for A.J. Pierzynski.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    That was Wayne Krivsky who orchestrated the Johan Santana selection with the Twins. Wayne scouted him and was the guiding hand in choosing him. Wayne also insisted Terry Ryan get a kid named Francisco Liriano in a trade with the Giants for A.J. Pierzynski.
    What? But he's an idiot! Don't you pay attention?

And this is the same guy who went 1 for 27 in pitching acquisitions in 2006.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

The Reds will end up keeping him. He may be offered back but more than likely he will be refused IMO. I have no doubt that the Rays feel a change of scenery will further his efforts. His comeback from addiction is nothing short of miraculous. Good luck Josh.
    So the Rays are going to let someone have the guy for free *after* he's begun his comeback? What sense does that make for a team that already paid the guy a $3.96MM bonus after it wouldn't cost much additional cash to keep him around?

I never got the impression that being in the Tampa Bay organization was what Hamilton's problem was. If he plays in the Reds' system he'll still be in the general geographic region of his hometown/residence (Sarasota, Chattanooga, etc.).
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 12-07-2006 at 03:52 PM.

He has a chance the be the next Joe Gaines

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    So the Rays are going to let someone have the guy for free *after* he's begun his comeback? What sense does that make for a team that already paid the guy a $3.96MM bonus after it wouldn't cost much additional cash to keep him around?

I never got the impression that being in the Tampa Bay organization was what Hamilton's problem was. If he plays in the Reds' system he'll still be in the general geographic region of his hometown/residence (Sarasota, Chattanooga, etc.).
    Yeah basically. Sounds silly but I personally think that is what they will do. Is he going to play ahead of the Dynamic Trio? No.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And this is the same guy who went 1 for 27 in pitching acquisitions in 2006.
    Without even going over it in a detailed way I see 4: Arroyo, Schoenweis, Guardado, Lohse.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Yeah basically. Sounds silly but I personally think that is what they will do. Is he going to play ahead of the Dynamic Trio? No.
    Well, with that history of success, the Rays don't really have to worry about things coming back to haunt them, do they?

I like the move a lot. It's the kind of risk I like to see teams (especially the Reds) take.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Without even going over it in a detailed way I see 4: Arroyo, Schoenweis, Guardado, Lohse.
    Lohse? No way.

Guardado? The guy was basically on a list for a ligament donor when he was traded for. That was a losing acquisition all around.

IMO, the jury is still out on Schoeneweis. He threw something like 14 innings last year, though they were effective. I can't say that he was a difference maker. Extremely small sample size.

Under the Rule 5 provisions, Hamilton must stay on Cincinnati's 25-man Major League roster for the entire season, or be offered back to Tampa Bay for $25,000.

He might be taking a roster spot that may deserve to go to a pitcher or a player that deserves it coming out of spring training. I never really liked the rule 5 draft!!!

If he hits .200 for the months of April and May would the Reds continue to keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Lohse? No way.

Guardado? The guy was basically on a list for a ligament donor when he was traded for. That was a losing acquisition all around.

IMO, the jury is still out on Schoeneweis. He threw something like 14 innings last year, though they were effective. I can't say that he was a difference maker. Extremely small sample size.
    Well he wasn't brought in to be a difference maker. He was brought in to get the occasional out for a month. He did that. That was awin for Krivsky. He served his purpose.

You can't judge every pick-up and expect difference making potential. Most of his pick-ups last year were quite small (and the only big one that didn't work out was Bray and Majewski, compared to what we gave up).

Quote Originally Posted by DunnFan44 View Post
    If he hits .200 for the months of April and May would the Reds continue to keep him?
    I'm guessing they would.

Krivsky likely realizes that Hamilton will have zero value to the Reds this season. So if breaks camp with, I'm guessing they will stick with him as long as they have to. Using him at the beginning would indicate to me that they are willing to go with basically a 24 man roster for the season. He's obviously not ready to be a decent major league player.

With the way the Reds hit in September that just might boost him into the starting lineup. =)

Turn Off Ads?