Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton a Red

Re: Josh Hamilton a Red

Hamilton has a chance to outperform Greg Tubbs if he works hard

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    had and he has about 0 chance of being a significant contributor now...
    Exactly. The Reds will trumpet this feel-good story to the heavens (all part of the "all sizzle and no steak" holdover FO plan to keep the fans interested till the farm kids arrive--cf. the Thom Brennamann signing, Redsfest pimping, etc.) but it will have no positive effect on the things that matter most: scoring runs, and preventing them from scoring.

Redsfest pimping
    The A's do it too... my friend goes every year.

It's called "marketing" I think the goal is to create a buzz and get people interested in the team while they don't play.

Of course when they didn't do it the past couple of years people complained about that too.

Can't win for trying, can't win for crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    This is off topic, but I'd say acquiring a pitcher YOU KNOW IS INJURED costs more than what you traded for him. What happens is a lesser pitcher has to take his innings. Ryan Franklin leaps to mind.
    And if the Reds didn't trade for him then the lesser pitchers would have pitched the innings that he did when he wasn't hurt as well as the ones that they did while he was.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Did I read somewhere that Josh Hamilton threw in the mid-90's in high school? If he can't make it back as a hitter I am sure that in the back of my head I'll hear Princeton's voice saying, "Put him on the mound. Make him a pitcher".

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The A's do it too... my friend goes every year.

It's called "marketing" I think the goal is to create a buzz and get people interested in the team while they don't play.

Of course when they didn't do it the past couple of years people complained about that too.

Can't win for trying, can't win for crap.
    All that marketing for an empty cause. It makes much more sense to fix the team first, worry about the fripperies later. But this ballclub is like those movie sets of Old West towns: all front, no depth; will topple over in a good wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    All that marketing for an empty cause. It makes much more sense to fix the team first, worry about the fripperies later. But this ballclub is like those movie sets of Old West towns: all front, no depth; will topple over in a good wind.
    yeah, but they still need some to come to the ball park in the mean time.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Its a business. It still has to operate reguardless of how the team performs. You want people to show up while you are rebuilding, right? Why stop everything until you rebuild the team? You still have to play the games every year. I just don't understand your point. Besides, what if anything did the marketing for Redsfest take from the baseball side of the Team. If anything, it helped generate more intrest, leading to more revenue, leading to the improvement of this team. The new Unis are going to help revenue a little, and before you say very little, remember that that is still a little more than this team had before. The Reds will not lose any money, or players for that matter, because of Redsfest.

Should they do away with other "fripperies" such as seats in the stadium and support of the Reds community fund? After all, none of those have anything to do with scroing runs and preventing the other team from doing the same.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

All that marketing for an empty cause. It makes much more sense to fix the team first, worry about the fripperies later.
    Work in the academic world do ya?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Its a business. It still has to operate reguardless of how the team performs. You want people to show up while you are rebuilding, right? Why stop everything until you rebuild the team? You still have to play the games every year. I just don't understand your point. Besides, what if anything did the marketing for Redsfest take from the baseball side of the Team. If anything, it helped generate more intrest, leading to more revenue, leading to the improvement of this team. The new Unis are going to help revenue a little, and before you say very little, remember that that is still a little more than this team had before. The Reds will not lose any money, or players for that matter, because of Redsfest.
    I don't have a problem with the marketing per se. It's just that it's a band-aid on a cancerous ulcer. Something I understood wasn't going to happen when Castellini took over--my understanding was that they were going to put a winner on the field.

I don't have a problem with the marketing per se. It's just that it's a band-aid on a cancerous ulcer. Something I understood wasn't going to happen when Castellini took over--my understanding was that they were going to put a winner on the field.
    Hint...it is possible to do both at the same time. They are not mutally exclusive activities.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Hint...it is possible to do both at the same time.
    Really?

But they're only doing the one, and not the other. That's the stinking point!

Really?

But they're only doing the one, and not the other. That's the stinking point!
    No, they aren't doing the one you want, how you want it done, in the time frame you would like it done.

That's a far cry from "not" doing one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    No, they aren't doing the one you want, how you want it done, in the time frame you would like it done.

That's a far cry from "not" doing one of them.
    I have to ask, and I am not being sarcastic, I just donít know how else to ask the question.

Do you think that the Reds will have a winning team in 2007 as it stands right now? a team that wins more games than it loses?

Turn Off Ads?