Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Josh Hamilton a Red

Re: Josh Hamilton a Red

do youthink he is a better pitcher than Joey Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    And if the Reds didn't trade for him then the lesser pitchers would have pitched the innings that he did when he wasn't hurt as well as the ones that they did while he was.
    no. what they should have done was not trade for an injured pitcher. period.

Then follow that up with not trading for crap.

yeah, it's a kooky plan, but it has it's merits.

Look, I'd have had no problem dealing for Guardado in the offseason, even coming off an injury. but in the middle of the season? when the reds were still in the hunt? When he goes down, they have to scramble to fill roles, and put guys in roles they weren't meant for. Like pitching Shack against RH hitters or pitching Franklin at all.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    do youthink he is a better pitcher than Joey Hamilton
    I'd hate to think that Joey Hamilton is a better pitcher than anybody. Except maybe Joe Mays Jeff Austin. Anyone remember Jeff Austin's 9 run first inning where he got no outs? Something like 9 runs, I can't remember exactly. I think he was cut the next day.
    Hey Marty, This is Adam from Milwaukee...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I have to ask, and I am not being sarcastic, I just don’t know how else to ask the question.

Do you think that the Reds will have a winning team in 2007 as it stands right now? a team that wins more games than it loses?
    As it stands this very minute. No. Not at all. I agree that there are big holes to fill. Starting pitching, another big bat (preferably a RH bat at 1B) and maybe (a very distant 3rd) a closer. If we don't fill those holes it will take luck and possible implosion of the other teams in the division to be relevant.

I am also perplexed at the silence from the FO. I think the wild FA market sent them back to the drawing board and possibly wrecked whatever game plan they had mapped out.

But I DON'T opperate under the assumption that the team, as it stands now, will be the same one that takes the field in April. I opperate under the assumption that BCast and Krivsky are not lieing scoundrals and will continue to make moves prior to opening day.

I will say, that if we get to that point, and there are no more changes (or only very Chad Moller-esque ones) without a very clear explination/valid reason (and I can't think of many) from Bob C himself, then I will join the crowd who are displeased with the FO with vocal (or internet, I guess) displeasure. That would undermine my trust in the FO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    As it stands this very minute. No. Not at all. I agree that there are big holes to fill. Starting pitching, another big bat (preferably a RH bat at 1B) and maybe (a very distant 3rd) a closer. If we don't fill those holes it will take luck and possible implosion of the other teams in the division to be relevant.

I am also perplexed at the silence from the FO. I think the wild FA market sent them back to the drawing board and possibly wrecked whatever game plan they had mapped out.

But I DON'T opperate under the assumption that the team, as it stands now, will be the same one that takes the field in April. I opperate under the assumption that BCast and Krivsky are not lieing scoundrals and will continue to make moves prior to opening day.

I will say, that if we get to that point, and there are no more changes (or only very Chad Moller-esque ones) without a very clear explination/valid reason (and I can't think of many) from Bob C himself, then I will join the crowd who are displeased with the FO with vocal (or internet, I guess) displeasure. That would undermine my trust in the FO.
    Thank you,
    I thought that I was misperceiving you and leave it to me, I was.

Good explanation!

Let's just hope that Hamilton doesn't end up like Toe Nash. Can you imagine what would have happened if that guy would have ever made it? Talk about raw talent...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I have to ask, and I am not being sarcastic, I just don’t know how else to ask the question.

Do you think that the Reds will have a winning team in 2007 as it stands right now? a team that wins more games than it loses?

No, but the question was are the Reds worse off because of the marketing attributed to Redsfest? The answer there is no. Now I see FCB's real question was are the Reds improving on marketing and not the team. The answer there is not as simple, and we will have to wait and see to get a definate answer. I personally believe that claiming that it is points to impatience. This team is far from a one year fixer-uper. Last year, by all accounts, was a case of a team playing over its head and playing in a weak division. To expect much improvement as far as the team's record is concerned, just doesn't make much sense.

Claiming that the Reds haven't done enough this offseason is unfair. They aren't going to go throw money around for the players available like other teams have (ie. the Cubs). Plus, there is still a whole lot of time to pull off a trade. I Don't believe for a second that the team as it is now is the team we will see on opening day. Maybe I'm just overly optomistic, but we aren't the only ones who see the glaring holes, Wayne sees them too. The only difference is we don't know who is available and for what price. All we know are rumors that may or may not be true.

I've really questioned Krivsky on a lot of his moves. But I have no doubt he wants to field a winner. I also believe DanO wanted to field a winner too.

But for some reason, I don't think either guy is well rounded enough to get the job done. DanO had some good idea, and under him the Reds farm system did improve. They certainly drafted better. I don't know how much of that was him, or the people he brought in, but it is truth.

Krivsky is a very good bargain shopper. Not like Bowden, who was a scrap heap picker. Krivsky finds silver that's tarnished. He gets it cheap, polishes it up and voila! A silver tea service. Phillips and Ross are perfect examples of this, and to a lesser extent so is Arroyo. Remember, Bronson was slated for the pen in Boston. And now we have Josh Hamilton. Certainly at one time he was among the brightest potential stars in baseball. Now he has tarnish and rust. Gonna be tough to clean up, but if it can be cleaned, it's going to be worth a lot.

But Krivsky has done nothing to fix the Reds biggest weakness: quality starting pitching. He has acquired no quality starters at any level other than Arroyo. And no, Lohse is not quality.

What he has done is acquire aging relievers, a defensive wizard that cannot hit, he's done nothing about the OF defense, which almost demands that Dunn be moved to 1B and Jr. move to LF.

In short, he's gotten a couple of supp picks for some departing FA's and aged the team. Without making them discernibly better.

Props to him for Josh Hamilton, especially if a deal can be worked with TB so he can be sent to Chatt. But if this is it, 2007 is gonna be another long season.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

OOOOOOHHHHH, I thought all along this was Joey Hamilton.

I was wondering why people thought this was such a great move....

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

the signing is epic, it is Brobdinagian, gargantuan, the power rankins have been immutably altered. The last time the rankings changes as much was when the reds signed Mark Kroon

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    The answer there is not as simple, and we will have to wait and see to get a definate answer. I personally believe that claiming that it is points to impatience. This team is far from a one year fixer-uper. Last year, by all accounts, was a case of a team playing over its head and playing in a weak division. To expect much improvement as far as the team's record is concerned, just doesn't make much sense.

Claiming that the Reds haven't done enough this offseason is unfair. They aren't going to go throw money around for the players available like other teams have (ie. the Cubs). Plus, there is still a whole lot of time to pull off a trade. I Don't believe for a second that the team as it is now is the team we will see on opening day. Maybe I'm just overly optomistic, but we aren't the only ones who see the glaring holes, Wayne sees them too. The only difference is we don't know who is available and for what price. All we know are rumors that may or may not be true.
    What you have expressed here I believe can still turn out to be right, there is still time, sports is situations and those can still work out.

Krivsky has to be making those steps along the way to make it so but it can be done. I do slightly disagree on what it will take to turn this club around this year as I do believe that another good starter to go along with the Harang and Arroyo that we saw last year coupled with a reliable closer can get this team to the top of the division. Another bat to help the run differential and they could be right there.

I do believe that solid pitching or I should say that a quality starter is worth the price, I just don't see that as throwing money around carelessly, but a necessary part of doing business in the majors.

On marketing, the Redsfest is a good vehicle to get in touch with the fans, and to give something back to the fans.

Mr. Hamilton I really don't know what to think about this move as it is rather untraditional and he has some serious percentages working against him health wise.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 12-08-2006 at 06:58 PM.

This is interesting that Josh Hamilton can be a free agent if he cleared outright waivers. Baseball america loves the move.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/262990.html

Do you think Josh Hamilton will stick on a major league roster through the entire season, or will the Reds have to offer him back to the Devil Rays at some point? If so, would Tampa Bay take him back?

Paul Masson
    Quebec City
    I've been at Baseball America since the 1988 Winter Meetings, and I don't remember there ever being as much buzz surrounding a major league Rule 5 draft pick as there was when the Cubs took Hamilton this week and then traded him to the Reds. The No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 draft, Hamilton ranked atop our 2001 Top 100 Prospects list before a lengthy series of injuries and substance abuse derailed a promising career.

Hamilton has just 50 at-bats total over the last four years—all of them coming in 2006 before he hurt his knee and needed arthroscopic surgery—and just 89 above Class A since turning pro. So he wouldn't be ready for the major leagues even if he suddenly regained all the talent he had earlier in his career.

That said, I could see him sticking with the Reds. For one, they only have four legitimate big league outfielders on their roster right now and they reportedly would like to trade one of those, Adam Dunn. Even if Hamilton can't make the club, it's possible Cincinnati could work out a trade with Tampa Bay for his rights, which would allow him to go to the minors. The Devil Rays were upset to lose him, not because he's a prospect, but because he needs stability and regular playing time. The Rays could decide it's in his best interests for them to make a deal with the Reds.

If that doesn't happen, Rule 5 mandates that Hamilton spend the entire 2007 season on the major league roster. (Cincinnati could stash him on the disabled list, but he needs 90 days on the active roster before he could be sent to the minors in 2008.) To send him down in 2007, the Reds would have to put him on outright waivers, allowing him to be claimed by any club, which would face the same guidelines.

Normally, Rule 5 picks have to be offered to their former team for half the $50,000 draft price, but Hamilton is an exception. Because he already has been placed on outright waivers, he can declare free agency if he clears them this time, though he also could accept his reassignment to the Devil Rays.

It's far from certain how all this will play out, but it did send a jolt through the Rule 5 draft and the potential payoff, however small the likelihood of the payoff, makes it a low-cost gamble worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Really?

But they're only doing the one, and not the other. That's the stinking point!
    HIGH FIVE
    Last edited by jojo; 12-09-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?