Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Left Out Their For The Redlegs..

Re: What's Left Out Their For The Redlegs..

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I missed them on the free agent list.

That's because they weren't. We have our own David Delluci in Freel and Deno.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    That's because they weren't. We have our own David Delluci in Freel and Deno.
    Actually we don't. I agree that the Reds need one of Freel or Denorfia but the other needs to be exchanged for some one with more power. The 4th OF on this team is frequently going to be subbing for Griffey (and Dunn should get a little more time off than he has). The line-up will be downright awful if either Griffey or Dunn is out and both Freel and Deno are in the OF. The Reds need a 4th OF who has the ability to fill-in in CF but the power to play a corner. Its why I've been pushing for Jay Payton. He could play CF some and has enough power to fill-in for Griffey or Dunn in short stretches.

On this list, I'd sign Payton and Wilson and make Freel, Lohse and Cormier tradebait for a pitcher and/or propsects. If no pitcher can be had, sign Ohka and trade all those guys for prospects.

It would probably take about $15 Million to sign Payton, Wilson and Ohka. Freel, Cormier and Lohse make about $10 Million. If I had to cut back a little, I'd substitute Eduardo Perez for Wilson and save about $3 to $3.5 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Oh, definitely. If that's the case the Reds need to pony up minimum $12 million + awesomeness. You cannot insult players in what is a legitimate market, and without knowing the details of the Reds' finances, I think they could be spending a lot more money right now than they are. I just think that they need another angle too. I'm not sure that if they even had the money, it'd be enough.
    Four year 15 million + awesomeness would that be out of the question for a quality pitcher to go along with Harang and Arroyo?

Your reference regarding a draw to attract quality players seems correct and also fits the core players that the Reds currently have and wish to retain into the next seasons. They too will be considering various factors that matter to them tangible and intangible. I am concerned that Arroyo and Harang will move to larger market teams when the opportunity makes itself available to them and that will keep the Reds in rebuild mode, and the fans with the manager, general manager and ownership speak that we are so accustomed to vs. a good on the field product year after year.

I am glad that Krivsky didn't "knee-jerk" and make a deal for making a deal's sake. There is still plenty of time to make a few smart moves that will help the Reds this season. I can't say that I totally understand the Stanton signing, but I am still not ready to give up on Krivsky.

The money that they are throwing around to what I consider average major league talent is making me love my little lefthander's prospects! In all seriousness, I hope the Reds refrain from throwing money at the so-so's. I would rather see some youngsters get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Puffy likes Jeremy Burnitz.

Yeah, but Jeremy stopped returning his calls, and there is that nasty restraining order thing.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I'd make a play for Ohka for a one year 4 million dollar deal.

Try to negotiate with him later if you want to keep him, or really cash in big time at the deadline if he's pitching well and doesn't show an inclination towards staying.

The Reds have the money to do it, and to bring Craig Wilson in as well.

Insane Wayne probably has other ideas, though.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Reds interested in Cirillo?

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's LaVelle E. Neal III reports the Minnesota Twins may offer free-agent 3B Jeff Cirillo (Brewers) a one-year contract worth around $1 million plus incentives. The Brewers and Cincinnati Reds are also interested in the infielder.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Point 6. There is nothing more personal than singing children.
    If that's all it takes to sign Zito, I'll personally put on a hand-written "I Wuv Mommy" t-shirt and sing bass in the RedsZone Mountain Kids Jubilee Jug Band.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I know the Reds already have plenty of relievers but I really think David Riske is still worth signing. If they could sign him to a 2-3 year deal at a decent price Id be all for it. He's always been a very solid major league reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I didn't realize the free agent way was the only way. I'm talking about player movement, period.
    Yeah, don't let the thread topic get in the way of your knee jerking.

I'd go after Marquis for the right price. A bit inconsistent last year but he's not a bad pitcher and if the price is right...how could this guy not be a positive addition to the club?
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 12-08-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd go after Marquis for the right price. A bit inconsistent last year but he's not a bad pitcher and if the price is right...how could this guy not be a positive addition to the club?

Actually he is a bad pitcher. He was so bad the Cards wouldn't activate him for the playoffs. The guy couldn't get it done in ATL with Leo Mazzone there and couldn't get it done in StL with Dave Duncan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Actually he is a bad pitcher. He was so bad the Cards wouldn't activate him for the playoffs. The guy couldn't get it done in ATL with Leo Mazzone there and couldn't get it done in StL with Dave Duncan.
    Agreed. If you have those two as pitching coaches and you're not a good pitcher, well then, you're not a good pitcher.

It looks like the Cubs are going to sign Marquis.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    It looks like the Cubs are going to sign Marquis.

Don't say things like that unless you're serious. I don't want to die from LMAO prematurely.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Don't say things like that unless you're serious. I don't want to die from LMAO prematurely.
    Have at it:

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says that free agent Jason Marquis is believed to be close to signing with the Cubs.

The Cubs are seemingly the only team that's displayed any real interest in him since the conclusion of the season, though that probably would have changed now that the better pitchers are disappearing from the market. If Marquis joins the Cubs, he'd likely be the fourth starter behind Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly and Rich Hill. Mark Prior and Wade Miller would be the leading candidates for the final spot in the rotation.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?