Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds close to getting Eric Gagne?

Reds close to getting Eric Gagne?

This winter meetings wrap up article from the AP is posted all over the internet, and I noticed this little bit of Reds-centric news hidden in there. I haven't seen it reported anywhere else though, so who knows what's going on.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Baseball's winter meetings ended with a thud Thursday, wrapping up after just one major trade and only a handful of free-agent signings during the week.

Barry Bonds and the San Francisco Giants were still apart, Barry Zito wasn't close to signing and Manny Ramirez remained with the Boston Red Sox.

Kansas City made the biggest move on the final day, agreeing to a $55 million, five-year contract with right-hander Gil Meche.

Also, backup first baseman Daryle Ward reached a preliminary agreement with the Chicago Cubs on a $1.05 million, one-year deal and the Atlanta Braves completed their deal to acquire reliever Rafael Soriano from the Seattle Mariners for pitcher Horacio Ramirez.

Houston and the White Sox talked about a trade that would send Jon Garland to the Astros for outfielder Willy Taveras, pitcher Taylor Buchholz and a prospect. But the deal wasn't announced, perhaps because Chicago didn't like Buchholz's medical reports.

All in all, not much to cap baseball's biggest offseason gathering.

"It was probably more laying the groundwork than in the past," Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said. "I think you'll see more things happen in the next few weeks. I think there's a lot of free agents falling in place. I think once those have fallen in place, I think guys will start working some other stuff."

At the podium in the Dolphin hotel, only one trade was announced: The White Sox sent starter Freddy Garcia to Philadelphia on Wednesday night for pitching prospects Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez.

In the suites upstairs, many swaps were discussed.

"I think you're going to see in the next two weeks, there's going to be a wave of moves," New York Mets general manager Omar Minaya said. "Usually, my experience is a domino effect. Once guys start getting off the board, all the back and forth goes out the window and people say, 'Hey, let's get a deal done.' The agents don't want to get shut out and the teams don't want to get shut out. So I expect here in the next two weeks there's going to be a lot of action. Free agents and signings. Everybody seems to be hesitant to do something."

Later Thursday, about two dozen free agents faced a midnight deadline to accept salary arbitration offers from their former teams. Milwaukee announced early in the day that infielder Tony Graffanino had accepted its offer.

Also, a pair of relievers seemed to be moving toward decisions: Eric Gagne and Octavio Dotel. Cincinnati liked Gagne and Boston was interested in Dotel.

As team officials headed home, several signings were in various stages of working their way toward final agreements: outfielder J.D. Drew and shortstop Julio Lugo (Boston), pitcher Jason Schmidt and outfielder Luis Gonzalez (Los Angeles Dodgers), pitcher Greg Maddux (San Diego) and pitcher Vicente Padilla (Texas).

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry remained behind, hospitalized following an angioplasty. Hendry had ignored several pleas from manager Lou Piniella and special assistant Gary Hughes to see a doctor earlier in the week.

Team physician Stephen Adams sent the 51-year-old GM to an Orlando-area hospital for tests and Piniella drove Hendry there.

But Hendry kept closing deals, finishing up a $40 million, four-year agreement with pitcher Ted Lilly on Wednesday night from the hospital.

"Piniella and myself, we were the first of many," Hughes said. "It took him a while to get to the hospital because he thought it was more important to worry about the Rule 5 draft, Lilly, whatever. His priorities were skewed."

In Thursday's draft of players off Triple-A rosters, troubled outfielder Josh Hamilton wound up with Cincinnati. After the Cubs plucked the 25-year-old Hamilton from Tampa Bay, they sent him to the Reds for cash.

Hamilton was the overall No. 1 pick in the 1999 amateur draft. He missed two seasons because of injuries and unspecified personal issues, two more when he was suspended in February 2004 for violating baseball's drug policy and much of 2006 because of an injured left knee.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds close to getting Eric Gagne?

Seriously, friggin' kill me. This guy is OUT OF CONTROL. Another bullpen arm?

I dont see it happening. It just said the Reds liked Gagne. We like a lot of guys and aren't going to get'em.

I dont know what to think if we did get him. It's been a while since he's been healthy and effective. And he'd probably cost us a ton.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

His price must have come down. Last I heard he was looking for $10M a year. He's damn sure not going to get that from the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Krusty!
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    His price must have come down. Last I heard he was looking for $10M a year. He's damn sure not going to get that from the Reds.
    Last I heard he was at $5 million for a one year deal.

Last I heard, he wanted at least $5M guaranteed, another $5M in incentives, no 2nd year or team option, and he's the closer, no maybe or competing for it. And no workout to demonstrate he can still pitch.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Obviously, any deal they would reach would depend upon a physical and close scrutiny of medical reports. No way they wouldn't do their homework after the Majewski thing. I think it could be a great signing if he is healthy. With Gagne healthy and closing games, this team would have the makings of a great bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Last I heard, he wanted at least $5M guaranteed, another $5M in incentives, no 2nd year or team option, and he's the closer, no maybe or competing for it. And no workout to demonstrate he can still pitch.

Does he want that on a silver platter too? Geez. The guy hasn't pitched for over a year, he doesn't want to audition, he wants to be the closer and he wants at least $5M. I guess there's someone out there stupid enough to give him that deal. I just hope it isn't the Reds.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I would do that then take a couple of ours put with Freel or somebody and get a ( starter) !!!!!!!!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Offense/Defense or Starter.. we just offered arbitration to Schoenewies. Resigned Stormy.. signed Stanton. We have guys like Bray, Coffey, Cormier, Belisle, Majewski, Ramirez, Shackelford, and purhaps Claussen. Doesn't make sense.. at all. Sure he's a big name.. but he is a liability... and to big of a risk.

Gagne would make sense to me.

Obviously, the Reds aren't going to spend a bunch of money on a starter. So assuming we don't make a big trade for a good starter, I'm assuming the Reds will go with Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, and unfortunately Miltion as guaranteed rotation spots.

So, with the payroll space remaining, the Reds coud sign a guy like Tomo Ohka, but would he really be much of an upgrade over say Claussen, Ramirez, or Belisle? I'm not so sure he would be. IMO, he would only be a noticeable upgrade over Milton, but I'm resigned to the fact that he will get a rotation spot.

So if the Reds really wanted an affordable superstar, I think Gagne is one of the few solutions as there isn't much in the hitting department. If the Reds are willing to spend the money, I think he would be a great gamble since he only wants the one year.

Does he want that on a silver platter too? Geez. The guy hasn't pitched for over a year, he doesn't want to audition, he wants to be the closer and he wants at least $5M. I guess there's someone out there stupid enough to give him that deal. I just hope it isn't the Reds.
    See: Scott Boras thread. I would not bet against him getting all of it, maybe even more. He'll still have to pass a physical, I'd hope.
    Last edited by blumj; 12-07-2006 at 09:14 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'm being serious when I ask this: can he pitch? Is he even physically capable of pitching in 2007?

Every word I've read is that the guy's done.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm being serious when I ask this: can he pitch? Is he even physically capable of pitching in 2007?

Every word I've read is that the guy's done.
    That's the $1,000,000 question.

If he's healthy I would assume there would be more interest in him (and the Reds would have no chance of signing him). If he is, it would be a solid gamble.

Turn Off Ads?