Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vernon Wells could be on the trading block after January 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vernon Wells could be on the trading block after January 1

Rotoworld:

The Blue Jays will consider trading Vernon Wells if they can't lock him up to a contract extension sometime around Jan. 1.
    "We didn't discuss a drop-dead date on this, but that's probably a realistic timeframe," president Paul Godfrey said on Friday. "That's a very reasonable timeframe to find out if we can or if we can't." GM J.P. Ricciardi should feel pretty silly now saying he had no intention of giving Carlos Beltran-type money to Wells. The Jays would now be very fortunate to lock him up for anything close to $119 million over seven years. Wells should be in line for about $20 million per year as a free agent.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Vernon Wells could be on the trading block after January 1

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Rotoworld:

The Blue Jays will consider trading Vernon Wells if they can't lock him up to a contract extension sometime around Jan. 1.
    "We didn't discuss a drop-dead date on this, but that's probably a realistic timeframe," president Paul Godfrey said on Friday. "That's a very reasonable timeframe to find out if we can or if we can't." GM J.P. Ricciardi should feel pretty silly now saying he had no intention of giving Carlos Beltran-type money to Wells. The Jays would now be very fortunate to lock him up for anything close to $119 million over seven years. Wells should be in line for about $20 million per year as a free agent.
    On my list of players to acquire this offseason, Vernon Wells is #0.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    On my list of players to acquire this offseason, Vernon Wells is #0.
    Why? I mean I can understand your statment if it will cost us 20 mil per season but I would def. give him 15 and get rid of Dunn for him. He's an elite Centerfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    Why? I mean I can understand your statment if it will cost us 20 mil per season but I would def. give him 15 and get rid of Dunn for him. He's an elite Centerfielder.
    It would be an utter waste of resources. Especially now that the team has decided to play the poormouth game. I can only assume that we're looking at 60 million dollar payroll.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

hollywood mid westerner

It would be an utter waste of resources. Especially now that the team has decided to play the poormouth game. I can only assume that we're looking at 60 million dollar payroll.
    Like I said, I understand your opinion (and lately I've shared all yoru opinions you've given) when it comes to the money. But I'd rather have him than Dunn at 15 mil any day.

You've been bashing them for not spending, but now you're saying they'd be stupid to pay big money for an elite player.

Let's just save everyone some time and make it very clear that if Krivsky does it, you hate it, and if Krivsky is thinking about it, you hate it. Unless Krivsky doesn't do it. Then you hate Krivsky because he should have done it.

We get it. You hate Wayne Krivsky. Trust me ... we all get it.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    You've been bashing them for not spending, but now you're saying they'd be stupid to pay big money for an elite player.

Let's just save everyone some time and make it very clear that if Krivsky does it, you hate it, and if Krivsky is thinking about it, you hate it. Unless Krivsky doesn't do it. Then you hate Krivsky because he should have done it.

We get it. You hate Wayne Krivsky. Trust me ... we all get it.
    Reconcile this nonsense of yours with my praise for the Pena for Arroyo deal.

I like "smart." Some people are okay with "dumb." That ain't my lookout, pal.

Screw getting rid of Dunn. Trade Denorfia, Votto, and another prospect for him. Stick Junior in RF, and how about this lineup?

Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Edwin 3B
    Vernon CF
    Griffey RF
    Ross C
    Hatteberg 1B
    Seabass SS

BAM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Screw getting rid of Dunn. Trade Denorfia, Votto, and another prospect for him. Stick Junior in RF, and how about this lineup?

Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Edwin 3B
    Vernon CF
    Griffey RF
    Ross C
    Hatteberg 1B
    Seabass SS

BAM
    Still have Milton, Lohse and a stiff from Parts Unknown in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Still have Milton, Lohse and a stiff from Parts Unknown in the rotation.
    It doesn't appear we are going to fix that anytime soon.

Might as well fix an offensive hole.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Edwin 3B
    Vernon CF
    Griffey RF
    Ross C
    Hatteberg 1B
    Seabass SS

BAM
    So you want to flush 20 million on a guy when the team has exactly zero pitching?

So you want to flush 20 million on a guy when the team has exactly zero pitching?
    Well, 2 guys who would be the staff ace on every other division rival isn't exactly zero pitching.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Well there is Harang and Arroyo.
    Then there is Homer.
    There are only so many pen guys you can sign.

We were 20ish in hitting and pitching last year.

Vernon is a good hitter and a great defender.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

You don't get rid of Dunn for Wells. You keep Dunn and add Wells.

Find other resources to trade, like Ryan Freel, KGJ, Denorfia if need be, some of our prospects maybe even including Bailey. You definitely keep Dunn and add Wells. Swapping Dunn for Wells is a lateral move, at best.

To get wells would cost way to much. No way we get him without giving up bailey. Considering the red sox want 3 top prospects for rameriz you can figure the jays would want at least the same for wells. So Bailey, Bruce and Votto is to much to give up for me. If you want him wait til hes a free agent and then sign him.

Turn Off Ads?