Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Vegas

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    441

    Vegas

    My wife and I are going to Vegas with another couple. It has been about 10 years since I visited the city of sin. Any recommened places to eat? sights to see? or avoid.

    We have tickets to see Seinfeld one night, so looking for some activities that are lighter on the budget.

    Listening to all thoughts.
    Last edited by Willy; 12-09-2006 at 10:13 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Bunn-O-matic max venable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Posts
    2,745

    Re: Vegas

    I've only been once. I can, however, highly recommend brunch at Caesar's Palace. Two words: Un and Believable. Never been so full in my life. Jumbo Crab legs cut in half so all you have to do is pull the meat out with a fork.

    On your flight out...check the airline magazines for coupons. Several casinos will give you $5 free slot play with coupon. My wife won about $50 at the Aladdin using the free slot play coupon. We're not gamblers so we cashed out and went to dinner...thanks Aladdin!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

  4. #3
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,142

    Re: Vegas

    Went with the family last year.

    Everyone does the "hotel tour" as in walking up and down the strip to see the hotels. There's a roller coaster on top of the New York New York hotel, it you like that kind of stuff. There's a nice aquarium at the Mandalay Bay.
    Every hotel has some kind of side attraction.

    We did Lance Burton and the Blue Man Group shows.

    My wife got sick due the smoky environments in the hotels/casinos, we ended up in Red Rock Canyon for a few days to recover.

    Then there is Hoover Dam (a short drive) and the Grand Canyon is about 5 hours away by car, but a short hop in a chopper.

    It was a weird trip which we had to prolong since Hurricane Wilma hit our home while we were in Vegas.
    Last edited by oneupper; 12-09-2006 at 10:23 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  5. #4
    hollywood mid westerner
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    185

    Re: Vegas

    Smith and Wellisnky's is the best place to grab a quick lunch or dinner..great bar atmosphere too

  6. #5
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Vegas

    I am telling you....you must go to Il Mulino in Caesars. It will be expensive but it is beyond worth it. I've been to the original in NY and the one in Vegas and will be hitting the one in San Juan in February. If you like Italian, it has been rated #1 in NY in like 28 of the last 30 years or something ridiculous like that. It is a different type of dining experience and a must visit.

    Also try Il Fornaio in NY NY (also very good and less expensive). We also went to Circo in the Bellagio. Not bad but not worth the $, IMO.

  7. #6
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: Vegas

    Willy - My wife and I and our friends try to go to Vegas 2 or 3 times a year.

    Some things I would definitely do.

    I would say, if it is your first time in a long, long time, go to as many casinos on the strip as you can. They all go way over the top theme wise, and have eye candy galore to check out. You'll like some, you'll think others aren't your bag, and so on. The atmospheres are widely different, as is the clientele. From there, you can branch out and decide to see more.
    Plus going in all the casinos is free.

    -Pay to go to the observation deck of the Stratosphere. If it isn't windy, it's an absolutely amazing site from the top.
    -Personally, the New York-New York Casino is my favorite. The way it's setup, the atmosphere, the bars & restaurants, that's always my choice. Paris Las Vegas is a close second.
    -Watch the Bellagio Fountains. They go off every 15 minutes after dark. Seemingly different music & formations every time. Worth catching a couple of times while you are there.
    -Take a ride in the Gondolas in the Venetian. It's an impressively setup Casino, to match Venice - probably the most intracite of any of the Casino designs on the strip.

    For food - Emeril's Fish House in MGM is excellent but pricey. We also liked Il Fornaio in NY NY like edabbs recommended.

    For Gambling - you Can't beat Downtown(Old Town) Las Vegas or some of the really old Strip Casinos like Barbary Coast. My wife and I always spend a good amount of time in Barbary because they have all the newest penny slots for her and all the table games have low minimums for me.

    You'll really struggle to find anything less than $10 minimum bets at any tables on the strip at the big casinos.

    Check out this site as well
    http://www.cheapovegas.com/index.php

    Really good information about each casino - the food, the attractions with some candid opinons.

    Good luck - and report back to tell us how it went.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 12-10-2006 at 01:13 AM.

  8. #7
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Vegas

    You have to go downtown. The hotel's are smaller and it has an enclosure. It is a mall atmosphere. They have a lazor light show every 15 minutes. It is called the "Freemont experience." If you are a real gambler, the odds at the blackjack tables are better downtown as well. Have fun. Tell your wife not to be offended by all the "escorts" magazines that clutter the strip. It is sin city.

    I like downtown the best because you walk a lot less, and I go there to play cards and the real card players are downtown. They have a great buffet at the Horseshoe...Primerib and shrimp as big as your hand.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,327

    Re: Vegas

    In terms of good Italian food at a decent price, this place can't be beat:

    http://www.battistaslasvegas.com/

    I went there with a bachelor party of Italian guys from Chicago and they all raved about the food.

  10. #9
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    Smith and Wellisnky's is the best place to grab a quick lunch or dinner..great bar atmosphere too
    I have to respectfully disagree.

    Smith & Wollenskys @ Vegas was very disappointing compared to other S&M's I've been.

    Great bar atmosphere, I'll agree there, but the steaks just seemed very dry and lacked the taste I remembered from other locations. Had 2 dinners there during separate trips, and both were regrettably forgetable.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    441

    Re: Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Willy - My wife and I and our friends try to go to Vegas 2 or 3 times a year.

    Some things I would definitely do.

    I would say, if it is your first time in a long, long time, go to as many casinos on the strip as you can. They all go way over the top theme wise, and have eye candy galore to check out. You'll like some, you'll think others aren't your bag, and so on. The atmospheres are widely different, as is the clientele. From there, you can branch out and decide to see more.
    Plus going in all the casinos is free.

    -Pay to go to the observation deck of the Stratosphere. If it isn't windy, it's an absolutely amazing site from the top.
    -Personally, the New York-New York Casino is my favorite. The way it's setup, the atmosphere, the bars & restaurants, that's always my choice. Paris Las Vegas is a close second.
    -Watch the Bellagio Fountains. They go off every 15 minutes after dark. Seemingly different music & formations every time. Worth catching a couple of times while you are there.
    -Take a ride in the Gondolas in the Venetian. It's an impressively setup Casino, to match Venice - probably the most intracite of any of the Casino designs on the strip.

    For food - Emeril's Fish House in MGM is excellent but pricey. We also liked Il Fornaio in NY NY like edabbs recommended.

    For Gambling - you Can't beat Downtown(Old Town) Las Vegas or some of the really old Strip Casinos like Barbary Coast. My wife and I always spend a good amount of time in Barbary because they have all the newest penny slots for her and all the table games have low minimums for me.

    You'll really struggle to find anything less than $10 minimum bets at any tables on the strip at the big casinos.

    Check out this site as well
    http://www.cheapovegas.com/index.php

    Really good information about each casino - the food, the attractions with some candid opinons.

    Good luck - and report back to tell us how it went.

    Thanks for all the great reports everyone.

    jmcclain19-Well one good thing is we are staying at NY NY. The last time I was there it was new and I knew I had to stay there. Talk about detailed!!

    I've been on the cheapo site, a must for anyone traveling to vegas, those guys are a riot.

    A couple quick questions:

    1. My wife was hopeing to do some shopping without the strip pricing, are there any outlet malls close by?

    2. I know its only suppose to be about 60 during the day and much colder at night. That being said, How much can we walk to from NY NY, looking at te map everything looks close, but what is in a reasonable walking distance.

    3. Taxi, monorail, or Bus?

  12. #11
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Thanks for all the great reports everyone.

    jmcclain19-Well one good thing is we are staying at NY NY. The last time I was there it was new and I knew I had to stay there. Talk about detailed!!

    I've been on the cheapo site, a must for anyone traveling to vegas, those guys are a riot.

    A couple quick questions:

    1. My wife was hopeing to do some shopping without the strip pricing, are there any outlet malls close by?

    2. I know its only suppose to be about 60 during the day and much colder at night. That being said, How much can we walk to from NY NY, looking at te map everything looks close, but what is in a reasonable walking distance.

    3. Taxi, monorail, or Bus?
    Not sure about #1.

    From NY NY, you can hit basically all the hotels from Mandalay to Monte Carlo. Bellagio is a bit of a walk but it won't be too hot so its doable. Not sure what your walking tolerance is, but I know my wife would have my head if I made her walk to the Bellagio (we stayed at the MGM).

    Monorail. That's an easy one. It starts at the MGM and it rides on that side of the strip.

  13. #12
    We are the angry mob cincyinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The 303
    Posts
    2,536

    Re: Vegas

    Bouchon's in the Venitian is awesome french food.

    And if you like Sushi, go to Osaka Sushi... There is one on the strip somewhere, the other just south in Henderson. Ra sushi at the fashion show mall also has a very nice happy hour selection. But Osaka has free sake for happy hour..

    Try to get in on the "local" stuff... you can find tons of cool things to do for real cheap. Last August I went, and I got into the Killers for free - their first show for the 2nd album. I had to wait in line for about 4 hours, but it was worth it...

    Shopping? go to the fashion show mall, its got everything.

    Clubbing? depends on what you like - but there are TONS of clubs. The ghost bar at the top of the Palms is pricey, but fun - and the view is awesome if the weather is nice.

    Amusement rides? The NY NY has a roller coaster, as does the Sahara.. which is a short ride, but one i find thrilling nonetheless. The stratosphere has 3 awesome rides at the top of its 110 or so story building...
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

    -Hunter S. Thompson

  14. #13
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,270

    Re: Vegas

    I went here once while in Vegas.


  15. #14
    Oy Vey! Red in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    For Gambling - you Can't beat Downtown(Old Town) Las Vegas or some of the really old Strip Casinos like Barbary Coast. My wife and I always spend a good amount of time in Barbary because they have all the newest penny slots for her and all the table games have low minimums for me.

    You'll really struggle to find anything less than $10 minimum bets at any tables on the strip at the big casinos.
    what he said regarding downtown...you'll have a blast there

  16. #15
    I'm toolsy.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Just South of Louisville
    Posts
    334

    Re: Vegas

    I will also be heading to Vegas soon (Dec 14 through 17). this will be the first time there for myself and all of my tarveling partners (girlriend and another couple). We are staying at Stratosphere and trying to go on as small a budget as possible. Any suggestions for us?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25