Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: per rotoworld- MLB non-tenders possibly available

per rotoworld- MLB non-tenders possibly available

per rotoworld:

Pitchers: Shawn Chacon, Mark Hendrickson, Josh Fogg, Victor Zambrano, Chris Reitsma, Jorge Sosa, Will Ohman, Todd Williams, Brendan Donnelly, Brandon Duckworth, Kyle Snyder, Chin-Hui Tsao, Javier Lopez, Joel Pinero

Hitters: Toby Hall, Yorvit Torrealba, Humberto Cota, Morgan Ensberg, Ben Broussard, Omar Infante, Antonio Perez, Eric Bruntlett, Brad Wilkerson, Kevin Mench, Jason Lane, Jody Gerut, Jayson Werth, Aaron Guiel, Hiram Bocachica, Rick Ankiel and Marcus Giles

I say position players Wilkerson, Broussard, Perez, Lane and Gerut could help.. not all, just could help, and the Reds to me dont need Giles.. we have Phillips

Asa for the pitching: Reitsma, Donnelly, Fogg, Pinero Chacon could help the Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: per rotoworld- MLB non-tenders possibly available

Ensberg might make a nice platoon partner for Hatteberg and add some power off the bench

I don't know why, but I've always like Jorge Sosa and thought he was under-appreciated. He's got what amounts to be a rubber arm and has started and been a reliever with success at times doing both. I'd take a gamble on him if the money was right.

I don't think Joel Pineiro's flyball tendencies would play well at GABP. Antonio Perez, as has been said numerous times, would make a good platoon partner at 1B. Same, possibly, with Mench.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Cards finally parting ways with Ankiel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per rotoworld:

Pitchers: Shawn Chacon, Mark Hendrickson, Josh Fogg, Victor Zambrano[/I][/I], Chris Reitsma, Jorge Sosa, Will Ohman, Todd Williams, Brendan Donnelly, Brandon Duckworth, Kyle Snyder, Chin-Hui Tsao, Javier Lopez, Joel Pinero
    I was reading quickly and thought "Zambrano is going to be non-tendered?!?!?! We really ought to go after him". Took a second to realize that it wasn't Carlos.

I like Piniero as a possible power arm out of the pen.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

The Mets surely won that Kazmir-Zambrano deal.

What about Chacon and Reitsma, I've always been a fan of Chacon, I don't know why and Reitsma has got it done in Cincy before. I understand that these would be just two more arms in the bullpen, but frankly I love Krivsky's idea of stockpiling arms. Injuries happen people, whether they are on our team or other teams. We can stash a few away in Louisville since it has been used as a limbo between the minors and majors any ways in the recent past. If we have injuries, we can call a decent arm up and if another team needs an arm, we can make them bend over backwards to aquire one.

I would like the idea of picking up those two arms and if we can't sign Craig Wilson, then I would be all for also picking up a plattoon.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I like Piniero as a possible power arm out of the pen.
    He doesn't have that much "power" though. His K/9 as a reliever wasn't bad, but as a starter it was downright awful.

I'd rather try Victor Zambrano as a closer.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

What about Jason Lane as a platoon RF? Or even Jody Gerut?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

I don't think Joel Pineiro's flyball tendencies would play well at GABP.
    Pineiro actually had a ground ball percentage of 47.5. Compare that to Jason Jennings' 43.8%.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Pineiro actually had a ground ball percentage of 47.5. Compare that to Jason Jennings' 43.8%.
    You know, I typed that sentence out, and then I remembered looking up Pineiro's GB/FB ratio a year or two ago and seeing basically what you are saying, that his GB% is high. I've watched Pineiro pitch numerous times, he was on my fantasy teams every year he's been in the big leagues (except last year). It seems that when he pitches with his fastball, he's fine. He gets ground ball outs and gets in a groove. When he throws too many curveballs (and he loves his curveball), he gives up some monster shots. I don't know how to say this, but his GB% really doesn't tell the whole story to me. He may get more outs on ground balls then fly balls, but that may be because the flyballs hit off of him find the gaps and the seats more than your average pitcher and he doesn't get outs off of them. Does the GB% stat just use "outs" in its criteria, or is it all balls in play, because if it is all balls in play, I'd be surprised if his GB% is still 47.5%. Maybe some of our west coast posters that see Pineiro a lot can comment on this, but to me, I seem to always view him as a flyball pitcher for some reason even though the stats say otherwise.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If they are to be non-tendered, why not swap a middling prospect for them? I like Wilkerson, Lane, and Mench. Chacon or Reitsma are worth a flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    You know, I typed that sentence out, and then I remembered looking up Pineiro's GB/FB ratio a year or two ago and seeing basically what you are saying, that his GB% is high. I've watched Pineiro pitch numerous times, he was on my fantasy teams every year he's been in the big leagues (except last year). It seems that when he pitches with his fastball, he's fine. He gets ground ball outs and gets in a groove. When he throws too many curveballs (and he loves his curveball), he gives up some monster shots. I don't know how to say this, but his GB% really doesn't tell the whole story to me. He may get more outs on ground balls then fly balls, but that may be because the flyballs hit off of him find the gaps and the seats more than your average pitcher and he doesn't get outs off of them. Does the GB% stat just use "outs" in its criteria, or is it all balls in play, because if it is all balls in play, I'd be surprised if his GB% is still 47.5%. Maybe some of our west coast posters that see Pineiro a lot can comment on this, but to me, I seem to always view him as a flyball pitcher for some reason even though the stats say otherwise.
    First, I'm not sure Pineiro hasn't regressed beyond any hope.

Second, GB% counts all balls in play.

Third, ground ball pitchers can give up a lot of hits and homeruns. Josh Beckett had a pretty decent GB% despite giving up 35 homeruns. Ground ball pitchers make mistakes and some of those go a long way.
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-11-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Pineiro's interesting because he was really good once upon a time and then his game suddenly disappeared. It makes you think he's still got the talent and it's just some weird thing in the way that's holding him back.

I think he's shot as a starter, but maybe he can regain something as a reliever. He showed some flashes out of the pen last year.
    Last edited by M2; 12-11-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Pineiro's interesting because he was really good once upon a time and then his game suddenly disappeared. It makes you think he's still got the talent and it's just some weird thing in the way that's holding him back.

I think he's shot as a starter, but maybe he can regain something as a reliever. He showed some flashes out of the pen last year.
    yeah, I remember back about 3 years ago, you could depend on him not having anything higher than a 4.00 ERA or so, and most likely something close to 3.50. Then something happened and he just started regressing. Not sure if its mechanical or what. Seems that a lot of Mariners fans have talked about his release point being out of whack and all over the place. As I mentioned before, he loves his curveball and throws it a lot, even when he's not throwing it well and that has gotten him into trouble as well. If you are not repeating your release point on your curveball, that could be a big problem, so that makes sense. He's getting to the point where he's getting too expensive to take a gamble on (for the Mariners) in hopes that he'll correct what is wrong and start pitching like they had hoped. I know the pitching coach worked with him tons last year and it seemed that he was making strides in some starts, but then regressing again the next start. Who knows. I do think he would be better out of the bullpen at this point. Just not sure if he could get things turned around so he could actually be useful out of the bullpen. Maybe Eddie Guardado could help you make a decision with his input.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?