Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Troy

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Congratulations Troy

It's been alot of fun to watch this guy play, I'm gonna hate to see him go pro.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Congratulations Troy

It's certainly been a pleasure.......
    I'm sure he'll represent Ohio well in the NFL!
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

It's gonna be a lot more fun watching the Buckeyes break in a rookie QB next season.

GO BLUE

In all seriousness, tremendous season this year by Smith and the Buckeyes. Good luck against the Gators. Hope Urban Cryer will be pouting again on Jan. 9th.

The sick part is that the rookie next year, probably Todd Boeckman will be a fifth year junior, that actually competed with Smith and Zwick three years ago for the starting job. The entire playbook should be available to him, if he can make the reads and all. He is a massive QB 6'6" 245lbs.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Really great to see Troy bring home the hardware. After that Quinn segment, it's also tough not to root for him to. Both were very impressive as players and leaders, good luck to both in the NFL. I just hope Troy keeps his focus on the big one.

And to think, I thought it was a mistake at first to play him over Justin Zwick. Oops.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It's been fun to watch him progress and develop into a more complete QB. At first I thought he was the second coming of Stanley Jackson, but he developed into so much more.
    /r/reds

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    And to think, I thought it was a mistake at first to play him over Justin Zwick. Oops.

Justin Zwick is to OSU as Ty Howington is to the Reds.

Over...hyped..... bust.....

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I just hope he doesn't end up in the AFC North. It will be easier to pull for him in the NFL if he isn't on a division rival like another Ohio QB we all know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Justin Zwick is to OSU as Ty Howington is to the Reds.

Over...hyped..... bust.....
    I always wonder what would have happened if Hamby would have hung onto the TD against Texas. I think Smith eventually starts anyways, but would have been interesting.

Congrats Troy. I also think boeckman will win the job next year.

I was cracking up when I saw Quinn got third, also wondering how he managed to win the maxwell award. A little known fact, Zwick was actually rated higher out of high school then Quinn.

Question, how if Boeckman a fifth year junior next year? WOuldnt he be 4th year?

No one has been more deserving of this honor. Congrats to Troy and the Bucks.

Was that strong gust of wind an exhalation from Lloyd after knowing Troy is riding off to the sunset? No problem, Tress will be back for years to come........

Buckeyes Forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman44 View Post
    Question, how if Boeckman a fifth year junior next year? WOuldnt he be 4th year?
    Boeckman "greyshirted" where he delayed his enrollment until Winter Quarter his true freshman year. He went through fall camp, then sat out when school started, and then when exams were done he was back with the team, and went through bowl practice. He officially entered school Winter Quarter, and then he "redshirted" during the next fall. Remember Justin Zwick's heroic effort in the Alamo Bowl, playing with a really screwed up hamstring. The reason he did that was to protect Todd Boeckman's redshirt season. Boeckman then was a redshirt freshman last year, and this year he is a RS Sophomore.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If there is a Buckeye fan that said they wanted Troy over Zwick then they are probably lying now. The sad thing is, Zwick could probably have been a successful starter for just about any other team than the Buckeyes. I still think he will at least get an invite to camp with a pro team. He has also been nothing but class so he's a guy I have to root for.

I think Boeckman will start next season but I really wouldn't be surprised if Antonio Henton was the starter by the end of the year. He looks like he could be another of the Troy Smith mold of an athletic quarterback who can run.

Tom Archdeacon's take, pre-announcement:

Smith has my vote, but he's no saint
    By Tom Archdeacon

Staff Writer

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Top to bottom, I had trouble with my Heisman Trophy ballot this year.

My second-place vote went to University of Michigan running back Mike Hart, and third was Rutgers' Ray Rice, but I easily could've taken Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden.

As for the top choice, Ohio State's Troy Smith was the only person for whom you could vote — he's the best player on the best team — and yet I had reservations.

In my book, Smith too often is a Jekyll and Hyde character. On the field, he's one guy, but away from it he can be someone much different, someone I don't always like.

There's no arguing, he's one of the best college quarterbacks I've ever seen. Many other Heisman voters feel the same, and that's why the Cleveland Glenville High product will win the revered bronze trophy tonight in one of the biggest landslides in Heisman history.

Smith — who threw for 2,507 yards and 30 touchdowns this season — has had his grandest moments in OSU's biggest games: three straight Michigan victories and wins over Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl and this year at Texas.

He's the big reason OSU is 12-0 and meeting Florida in the national title game. That's the person for whom I voted.

Then there's that other guy:

•The one who last month stiffed his hometown folks and didn't show for an OSU alumni chapter banquet where 1,000 people paid $100 each so Cleveland-area kids could get OSU scholarships.

Anthony Gonzalez, Ted Ginn Jr. and other players were there, but Smith — the headliner — never showed.

Ted Ginn Sr. — the guy who helped raise and coach Smith, the guy the quarterback calls "Dad" — was livid that night and repeatedly tried contacting Smith on his cell phone. The quarterback never answered. There were reports he was at a Cleveland Cavaliers game and was riding around town in a limo. A week later, Ginn Sr. told a reporter Smith still hadn't returned his call.

•There's the high school incident — Smith knocking out a rival Toledo basketball player with a sucker-punch elbow — that he now paints in racial terms. He told Sports Illustrated he retaliated because of racial taunts.

That fact has been disputed by the Toledo St. John's player and others at the game. Smith's school at the time — Lakewood St. Edward — kicked him off the team.

•And there's that NCAA suspension two years ago for taking $500 from a booster. That's keeping a few Heisman voters from putting him on their ballots.

The Tulsa World's John Hoover expressed that opinion in an online blog and became Public Enemy No. 1 with Buckeyes fans, especially when he made the comparison that a convicted felon can't become president of the United States.

While the Heisman Trophy Trust's Tim Henning said he knows of no other winner with an NCAA violation, the award isn't exactly choirboy confirmation. Nebraska's Johnny Rodgers won in 1972 after driving the getaway car in an armed robbery. None of the problems with which Smith is charged — and there are a couple of others — is anywhere near so grievous, and in fact, most voters don't remember any of them. All they know is what he's done on the field.

It got their vote. It got mine, too, but not without pause.

Find this article at:
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...20906arch.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?