A little wrapup of Reds news circulating around the interweb.
Just an FYI first - John Sickles is supposed to debut his 2007 Reds Top Prospects list today so feel free to venture on over there to see what he has to say about the future of the Reds system.
Ok - onto the news babble.
The LA Times still names the Reds as a potential Eric Gagne Suitor
The Fort Worth Star Telegram also repeated this rumorAnother Boras client, free-agent pitcher Eric Gagne, has yet to sign despite Boras saying last week that he expected the former Dodgers closer to come to an agreement by the end of the winter meetings, which ended Thursday. Although the Dodgers offer of a guaranteed $4 million with performance incentives that could bring the value to $10 million was not much lower than other offers Gagne has received, a Dodgers official said Boras has not been in contact with the team since the winter meetings. It is unclear whether the Dodgers offer is still on the table because they re-signed closer Takashi Saito.
The Cleveland Indians, Texas Rangers, San Francisco Giants and Cincinnati Reds have been mentioned as suitors for Gagne. The Red Sox have reportedly bowed out of negotiations for him.
Former Reds MLB.com reporter Anthony Castrovince
recounts the Wayne Krivsky/Mark Loretta signing highjinx
The Reds may be one step closer to a new home in SarasotaHere's the reality of the Meetings, from a reporter's standpoint: We spend the week standing in a hotel lobby, talking with other reporters, who have talked to other reporters about a rumor they heard from another reporter, who may or may not have talked to a source who told a reporter a rumor he heard from a reporter. As you can see, this is a fail-safe system.
Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky was talking to the Cincinnati reporters and asked if they had heard any news. He was then informed of a report on a widely read Web site that he had offered Mark Loretta a two-year, $6 million contract. "That is news," Krivsky said. "News to me."
MLB.com reporter Mark Shelton passes along that Milton's staying, Bailey will be a starter & other pearls of wisdom in his mailbagA proposed agreement, on which the city and county are poised to vote Wednesday, would spell out the responsibilities of both parties in building a planned $54 million facility near Ed Smith Stadium. The agreement includes securing a new 30-year lease with the Reds.
City and county officials have talked publicly in recent months about what the two governments could pitch in to build a new stadium.
Under the agreement, Sarasota County agrees to:
Use a portion of the county bed tax to help build the new stadium. The county voted to increase the bed tax from 3 to 4 percent in September.
Increase availability of other recreation facilities.
The city agrees to:
Sign a 30-year lease with the Reds. Sarasota City Manager Mike McNees said the lease should be signed by the end of this month.
Locate $10 million for the stadium.
Secure a $700,000 annual private investment by April 30.
Purchase and build parking.
Find money for all costs the county, Reds and state can't meet.
Jerry Narron is all hot & bothered about the potential of the Baby Reds in 2007Krivsky has made some very good moves, but is there any chance we will see Eric Milton traded to either Washington or San Diego, where the ball is more likely to stay in the ballpark?
-- Bobby S., Buffalo Grove, Ill.
It's highly unlikely that Milton is going anywhere. He is owed $9 million in the final year of his three-year contract and coming off a year in which he had surgery on both his troublesome left knee and left elbow.
Do you see the Reds signing a starting pitcher to be a good third guy behind Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo?
-- Jordan J., Parkersburg, W.Va.
Before the offseason really got going, I thought they might try for a No. 3 starter. Then we saw the prices that clubs were paying for free agents. It appears that the front office is satisfied with Harang, Arroyo, Kyle Lohse and Milton as the Nos. 1-4 starters. Unless Krivsky adds someone between now and camp opening, the fifth spot will up for grabs among Matt Belisle, Elizardo Ramirez, Phil Dumatrait and, of course, Bailey.
Former Reds 3rd Round pick Reggie Jefferson is now plying his trade as a baseball agent"I just hope our guys understand, I think they do, it's all about preparing to win and not just trying to get ready for the season," Narron said. "I think having a chance to win last year, I think guys realize that probably better than ever before.
"I think that a lot of times guys try to get prepared just for the season, get themselves ready and [don't get] the team ready. [They don't understand] that what they're doing, they're doing for the team to win and not just for themselves to have successful seasons."
Marc Lancaster notes that the Reds now have 24 suspense filled hours to tender contracts to Arb-eligible players David Ross, Kyle Lohse & Aaron Harang. I really wonder if they'll keep Harang.On Monday, he celebrated the signing of former Lincoln quarterback Gavin Dickey, who recently hired Jefferson as his agent.
The deal puts Dickey under the management of SFX Baseball, the same company that handled Jefferson's entire career. Jefferson, 38, joined the company as an agent in September and operates out of Tampa, where he's lived since retiring.
Dickey, who gave up football at the University of Florida earlier this year to concentrate on baseball, is Jefferson's second client in a fledgling career that he started in September. But Jefferson expects his venture into baseball business will flourish because of his experience in the game.
“It gives me an advantage because when I go in to talk to a kid, there has to be a relationship," he said. "That player knows what I'm going to tell him is going to help him."
We're 24 hours away from yet another MLB deadline, the date to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. Easy call for the Reds, who will offer contracts to Aaron Harang, Kyle Lohse and David Ross. Their only other season-ending arb-eligibles were Sun-Woo Kim and Grant Balfour, both of whom have already departed the organization.
So that part of the tender deadline isn't a big deal. Wayne Krivsky is more interested in who might be non-tendered elsewhere that might help. Sounds like the biggest name to get the ax is going to be Marcus Giles, who wouldn't be of much use to the Reds. Beyond him, there may be a few guys worth a look. We'll see by this time tomorrow.