Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12-12-06: Today's Truth & Rumors - Reds Edition

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

12-12-06: Today's Truth & Rumors - Reds Edition

A little wrapup of Reds news circulating around the interweb.

Just an FYI first - John Sickles is supposed to debut his 2007 Reds Top Prospects list today so feel free to venture on over there to see what he has to say about the future of the Reds system.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/

Ok - onto the news babble.

The LA Times still names the Reds as a potential Eric Gagne Suitor

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...iewed-homepage

Another Boras client, free-agent pitcher Eric Gagne, has yet to sign despite Boras saying last week that he expected the former Dodgers closer to come to an agreement by the end of the winter meetings, which ended Thursday. Although the Dodgers offer of a guaranteed $4 million with performance incentives that could bring the value to $10 million was not much lower than other offers Gagne has received, a Dodgers official said Boras has not been in contact with the team since the winter meetings. It is unclear whether the Dodgers offer is still on the table because they re-signed closer Takashi Saito.

The Cleveland Indians, Texas Rangers, San Francisco Giants and Cincinnati Reds have been mentioned as suitors for Gagne. The Red Sox have reportedly bowed out of negotiations for him.
    The Fort Worth Star Telegram also repeated this rumor

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/16209438.htm

Former Reds MLB.com reporter Anthony Castrovince
    recounts the Wayne Krivsky/Mark Loretta signing highjinx

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=cle

Here's the reality of the Meetings, from a reporter's standpoint: We spend the week standing in a hotel lobby, talking with other reporters, who have talked to other reporters about a rumor they heard from another reporter, who may or may not have talked to a source who told a reporter a rumor he heard from a reporter. As you can see, this is a fail-safe system.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky was talking to the Cincinnati reporters and asked if they had heard any news. He was then informed of a report on a widely read Web site that he had offered Mark Loretta a two-year, $6 million contract. "That is news," Krivsky said. "News to me."
    The Reds may be one step closer to a new home in Sarasota

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...14/1006/SPORTS

A proposed agreement, on which the city and county are poised to vote Wednesday, would spell out the responsibilities of both parties in building a planned $54 million facility near Ed Smith Stadium. The agreement includes securing a new 30-year lease with the Reds.

City and county officials have talked publicly in recent months about what the two governments could pitch in to build a new stadium.

Under the agreement, Sarasota County agrees to:

Use a portion of the county bed tax to help build the new stadium. The county voted to increase the bed tax from 3 to 4 percent in September.

Increase availability of other recreation facilities.

The city agrees to:

Sign a 30-year lease with the Reds. Sarasota City Manager Mike McNees said the lease should be signed by the end of this month.

Locate $10 million for the stadium.

Secure a $700,000 annual private investment by April 30.

Purchase and build parking.

Find money for all costs the county, Reds and state can't meet.
    MLB.com reporter Mark Shelton passes along that Milton's staying, Bailey will be a starter & other pearls of wisdom in his mailbag

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Krivsky has made some very good moves, but is there any chance we will see Eric Milton traded to either Washington or San Diego, where the ball is more likely to stay in the ballpark?
    -- Bobby S., Buffalo Grove, Ill.

It's highly unlikely that Milton is going anywhere. He is owed $9 million in the final year of his three-year contract and coming off a year in which he had surgery on both his troublesome left knee and left elbow.

Do you see the Reds signing a starting pitcher to be a good third guy behind Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo?
    -- Jordan J., Parkersburg, W.Va.

Before the offseason really got going, I thought they might try for a No. 3 starter. Then we saw the prices that clubs were paying for free agents. It appears that the front office is satisfied with Harang, Arroyo, Kyle Lohse and Milton as the Nos. 1-4 starters. Unless Krivsky adds someone between now and camp opening, the fifth spot will up for grabs among Matt Belisle, Elizardo Ramirez, Phil Dumatrait and, of course, Bailey.
    Jerry Narron is all hot & bothered about the potential of the Baby Reds in 2007

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

"I just hope our guys understand, I think they do, it's all about preparing to win and not just trying to get ready for the season," Narron said. "I think having a chance to win last year, I think guys realize that probably better than ever before.

"I think that a lot of times guys try to get prepared just for the season, get themselves ready and [don't get] the team ready. [They don't understand] that what they're doing, they're doing for the team to win and not just for themselves to have successful seasons."
    Former Reds 3rd Round pick Reggie Jefferson is now plying his trade as a baseball agent

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS/612120318

On Monday, he celebrated the signing of former Lincoln quarterback Gavin Dickey, who recently hired Jefferson as his agent.

The deal puts Dickey under the management of SFX Baseball, the same company that handled Jefferson's entire career. Jefferson, 38, joined the company as an agent in September and operates out of Tampa, where he's lived since retiring.

Dickey, who gave up football at the University of Florida earlier this year to concentrate on baseball, is Jefferson's second client in a fledgling career that he started in September. But Jefferson expects his venture into baseball business will flourish because of his experience in the game.

“It gives me an advantage because when I go in to talk to a kid, there has to be a relationship," he said. "That player knows what I'm going to tell him is going to help him."
    Marc Lancaster notes that the Reds now have 24 suspense filled hours to tender contracts to Arb-eligible players David Ross, Kyle Lohse & Aaron Harang. I really wonder if they'll keep Harang.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

We're 24 hours away from yet another MLB deadline, the date to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. Easy call for the Reds, who will offer contracts to Aaron Harang, Kyle Lohse and David Ross. Their only other season-ending arb-eligibles were Sun-Woo Kim and Grant Balfour, both of whom have already departed the organization.

So that part of the tender deadline isn't a big deal. Wayne Krivsky is more interested in who might be non-tendered elsewhere that might help. Sounds like the biggest name to get the ax is going to be Marcus Giles, who wouldn't be of much use to the Reds. Beyond him, there may be a few guys worth a look. We'll see by this time tomorrow.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 12-12-2006 at 03:56 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 12-12-06: Today's Truth & Rumors - Reds Edition

Good stuff.

Thanks for putting that together

"I just hope our guys understand, I think they do, it's all about preparing to win and not just trying to get ready for the season," Narron said.
    Perhaps someone could explain this to me, but what exactly does it mean to "prepare to win"? Does that mean that Reds players should be undertaking a different offseason regimen than they otherwise would? And would you ever hear a manager say "prepare to tread water" or "prepare to be unsuccessful"?

On another note, this tidbit

It appears that the front office is satisfied with Harang, Arroyo, Kyle Lohse and Milton as the Nos. 1-4 starters.
    scares the crap outta me.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote:
    "I just hope our guys understand, I think they do, it's all about preparing to win and not just trying to get ready for the season," Narron said.
    Perhaps someone could explain this to me, but what exactly does it mean to "prepare to win"? Does that mean that Reds players should be undertaking a different offseason regimen than they otherwise would? And would you ever hear a manager say "prepare to tread water" or "prepare to be unsuccessful"?

On another note, this tidbit

Quote:
    It appears that the front office is satisfied with Harang, Arroyo, Kyle Lohse and Milton as the Nos. 1-4 starters.
    scares the crap outta me.
    That's a bit melodramatic, I think. At Redsfest, WK made clear that he was comfortable with both Lohse and Milton in the rotation. We've all acknowledged that we need one more decent pitcher below Harrang and Arroyo. Personally, I'm comfortable with Lohse and Milton (if healthy, that's a big IF) being the #4 and #5. I'd like to get a solid #3 from somewhere.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

If Bailey has a good month and a half at Louisville, I think he will be up. I'd give about a 30% chance that he makes the club if he has a excellent spring.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd like to get a solid #3 from somewhere.
    But that's just it. What scares me is going into the season with Milton and Lohse as #s 3 and 4, and Random Filler as the #5, which is what the quote says is the most likely scenario. i think we'd all love to see a solid #3 starter (or for the Reds to pursue a #1 or #2 and push Arroyo into the 3 slot), but it looks like that's not going to happen.

If that's the plan, then this team might as well have their firesale now, because after Arroyo, that's one sorry rotation. No team with Milton as their #3 can expect to be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    But that's just it. What scares me is going into the season with Milton and Lohse as #s 3 and 4, and Random Filler as the #5, which is what the quote says is the most likely scenario. i think we'd all love to see a solid #3 starter (or for the Reds to pursue a #1 or #2 and push Arroyo into the 3 slot), but it looks like that's not going to happen.

If that's the plan, then this team might as well have their firesale now, because after Arroyo, that's one sorry rotation. No team with Milton as their #3 can expect to be competitive.
    I was just talking with Johnny Footstool about this the other day.

Look at the NL Central and the top 3 pitchers for each team in the NL Central. The Brewers are pretty comparable to the Reds with Sheets, Capuano, and David Bush, but I think Cincinnati falls either slightly ahead or even with them with Harang, Arroyo, and Milton (if healthy). Every one else in our division doesn't have as strong as a top 3. What that means basically, is that if we can generate some offense and play good defense, we can have a decent shot at winning a good number of games with the pitching the way it is now. Of course, it'd be nice to add a pitcher better than Milton, or another hitter to generate more offense and take some pressure off of Dunn, or in a perfect world, both, but I think we can be competitive in this weak division as we are now.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

Look at the NL Central and the top 3 pitchers for each team in the NL Central. The Brewers are pretty comparable to the Reds with Sheets, Capuano, and David Bush, but I think Cincinnati falls either slightly ahead or even with them with Harang, Arroyo, and Milton (if healthy). Every one else in our division doesn't have as strong as a top 3. What that means basically, is that if we can generate some offense and play good defense, we can have a decent shot at winning a good number of games with the pitching the way it is now. Of course, it'd be nice to add a pitcher better than Milton, or another hitter to generate more offense and take some pressure off of Dunn, or in a perfect world, both, but I think we can be competitive in this weak division as we are now.
    If you are going to use the caveat of "if healthy" then the Cubs top three trumps the Reds top three every time.

Zambrano, Prior, Wood/Lily/Hill/Marquis.

I loathe the "if healthy" argument.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If you are going to use the caveat of "if healthy" then the Cubs top three trumps the Reds top three every time.

Zambrano, Prior, Wood/Lily/Hill/Marquis.

I loathe the "if healthy" argument.
    I agree about the "if healthy" (even though I just used it )

Anyway, Zambrano, Prior, Wood, Oswalt, Sheets are all very good pitchers. None of them are good bets to make 32-35 starts a year, so that "if healthy" argument applies to pretty much every team in our division.

My point is, if we go into the season with Harang, Arroyo, and Milton as our top 3, there's no point in thinking we're going to finish the season 30 games out of 1st. There's still hope. Especially if Bailey can contribute 150 IP or so to the rotation in '07.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Zambrano, Prior, Wood/Lily/Hill/Marquis
    Wood's a relief pitcher now... Marquis?

He's roadkill.

OTOH who was the last good LH on the Cubs?

Ken Holzman, before that.... Hippo Vaughn.

LH's go to Wrigley to die.

I think what he means is for the Reds to go into the season not just looking to compete but to win. As much as we - and I'm one of the biggest offenders - give him crap about saying a player "knows how to win" there may be some truth in that. Some guys who have been in pennant races before are used to the pressure and either play up to or beyond their capacities. Others fail under that pressure. Of course, just because someone has pennant race experience, doesn't automatically mean they will play well in future races. What I believe he's trying to tell them is that they have been through a pennant race now and most of them didn't perform well during the last month. Now that they have a taste of it and experience, they should play better and Narron expects them to play better. Narron wants to get rid of the Danny Graves mentality of there not being any pressure to win here. Narron's telling these guys to expect to win. He isn't doing anything different than what Lou told the team in 1990. I'll kill Narron on a lot of things but this isn't one of them.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

Look at the NL Central and the top 3 pitchers for each team in the NL Central. The Brewers are pretty comparable to the Reds with Sheets, Capuano, and David Bush, but I think Cincinnati falls either slightly ahead or even with them with Harang, Arroyo, and Milton (if healthy). Every one else in our division doesn't have as strong as a top 3.
    Milton had a "bounce back" year last year and still had an ERA over 5.00, and was on pace to surrender 38 HRs if he had pitched 200 innings. His 1.34 WHIP is passable, but by no means exemplary, and doesn't overcome his significant faults in other areas. And then there is, of course, the whole "health" issue that has been touched on.

Milton would be less dangerous pitching behind a third pitcher the caliber of Arroyo or Harang. But serving as the de facto #3, with God-knows-who pitching behind him is not a good situation. I'd say the Reds have as good a 1-2 punch as anyone in the division with Harang and Arroyo. Past that, though, they're decidedly mediocre. And our drop in offensive capability portends a long season in Cinci if Milton-Lohse-??? are our #'s 3-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think what he means is for the Reds to go into the season not just looking to compete but to win. As much as we - and I'm one of the biggest offenders - give him crap about saying a player "knows how to win" there may be some truth in that. Some guys who have been in pennant races before are used to the pressure and either play up to or beyond their capacities. Others fail under that pressure. Of course, just because someone has pennant race experience, doesn't automatically mean they will play well in future races. What I believe he's trying to tell them is that they have been through a pennant race now and most of them didn't perform well during the last month. Now that they have a taste of it and experience, they should play better and Narron expects them to play better. Narron wants to get rid of the Danny Graves mentality of there not being any pressure to win here. Narron's telling these guys to expect to win. He isn't doing anything different than what Lou told the team in 1990. I'll kill Narron on a lot of things but this isn't one of them.
    IMO, the best way for a team to "prepare to win" would be to find ways to significantly improve the team from the previous year. Anything else is just lip service.

And our drop in offensive capability portends a long season in Cinci if Milton-Lohse-??? are our #'s 3-5.
    You know, I'm trying really hard not be pessimistic about the 2007 season but this one sentence really sums up my fear. I'm not expecting much from the offense next season so I was hoping for real improvement in the pitching staff to help offset that. I'm just not seeing it. Milton-Lohse-Lizard/Belisle in the 3-5 is simply a bad scenario given the lack of runs this team is likely to score. There's still time left so I'm hoping Wayne pulls another rabbit out of his hat and improves the rotation and/or offense before April.

Man Pills

I'm scared for the Reds' chances, but not because of the Cubs. That team is an unequivocal train wreck.

Turn Off Ads?