Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sickels Top Reds Prospects

Sickels Top Reds Prospects

The list is up on his website. No major surprises but a few minor ones (to me anyway):

-LeCure is in the top ten.

-Szymanski is rated ahead of Moran (although when you get that far it's all pretty interchangeable).

-No mention of Carlos Guevara at all.

-And Brandon Watson is on the list despite being waived. Tsk, tsk, Mr. Sickels.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sickels Top Reds Prospects

Brandon Watson? Was this a top 200 list?

I am not sure about the list, Javon Moran has hit .330 since he has been a Red, isnt too old for his level really and isnt ranked but BJ Szymanski is?

Josh Ravin was hitting 96 this summer, and has 3 commandable pitches but isnt ranked?

I'm glad I passed on Sickels book.

Ravin is mentioned in the big group ranked below the top 20. No mention of Wirfin Obispo at all, either... I know he's just a baby in baseball terms, but when you mention about 40 guys, I'd think you'd have room for him.

I gotta say I was underwhelmed by the list. I started reading Sickels' stuff a while ago because of his past association with Bill James, but to be honest I'm not sure what he brings to the table that any bright person with a BA subscription and Internet access can't do just as well.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I agree. Sickels used to do his own scouting, but now he just gets word from other people he knows and hardly sees any prospects play in person these days.

Sickels knows his stuff. He may make a mistake based upon who's been released, etc....but his analytical skills are better than any other minor league guru out there. I like how he breaks things down using 7 skills instead of the 5 tools. A 5 tool framework leaves a lot to be desired. I also like his sabermetric bent which cuts thru a lot of the tools b.s.

I think a good case could be made that he my be the best minor league guru out there. To nail him on his (in)ability to to know whether or not a player has been waived is akin to discounting an arguement bsed on somebody's lack of spelling skills.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Sickels rarely ever puts short-season players on his top 20 lists unless they're highly touted from the draftnik press. I wouldn't have expected him to rank Ravin.

Watson over Moran, though, is a fairly serious omission.

Sickels knows his stuff. He may make a mistake based upon who's been released, etc....but his analytical skills are better than any other minor league guru out there.
    I'm not really ripping him for that. It's not easy keeping track of every organization's prospects, but he doesn't really provide any information that the average fan couldn't gather on their own. He may have great analytical skills, but it's not hard to figure out that Bailey is a top pitching prospect and that Drew Stubbs is a toolsy outfielder with questionable hitting ability.

Ravin's problem is, when you watch his video, he doesn't have textbook mechanics and struggles to maintain them throughout the game, the anti-Bailey.

He will have to get more consistant with his mechanics(I wouldn't change them).

He will have to get more consistant with his mechanics(I wouldn't change them).
    He looks like a panzy though.

I was a bit disappointed with his list. Granted it must be awfully hard to keep up with all of every team's prospects, but that is supposed to be his specialty. His list doesn't show any real in-depth familiarity with the Reds. IMHO, Strait should be on it somewhere, at least in the mentions, and Carlos Fisher should be in the top 20, though near the bottom still. As a potential left-handed starter who's moved three levels in the last two years, Vasquez deserves at least to be mentioned.

He praises systems with no top-end talent and rips the Reds with some high-end guys. I don't think he gets it.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He praises systems with no top-end talent and rips the Reds with some high-end guys. I don't think he gets it.
    Well, it is fairly accurate to say the Reds have a few top-tier prospects and then a bunch of interchangeable spare parts. Sickels seems to prefer "deep" systems that might not have many A prospects but have lots of B's. I don't know.

We're still better off than we were in 2003, at least.

His best stuff you gotta pay for -.

Turn Off Ads?