Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jennings to Astros

Jennings to Astros

Rotoworld is reporting Jennings was traded to Houston for taveras,Hirsh,and Buchholz.Another SP scratched off the list.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Marty Moose!!

Re: Jennings to Astros

Wow, I doubt the Reds could have matched that offer. I really like Hirsh, I wish the Reds could have found a way to get him. I think Colorado got the better end of this deal, but it will remain to be seen...

They can have him. I think Jennings is an alright groundball pitcher but nothing more than that, and I'd rather not sell the farm for one season of his services. I'm more disapointed in the fact that the Rockies got a CF as they seemed like a good candidate to send Freel to for a decent return.

Heavy price for jennings. This might help the astros in the short term but you have to wonder how much trading hirsch hurts them for the long term.

That's a lot to give up. I guess this makes Burke their CFer now?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Unless Jennings signs a extension, the Astro's got fleeced. I don't care about how good everyone Houston gave up is or will be or has been or could be. Thats just too much to give up for one year of Jennings.

It's not a lot to give up and they certainly were not fleeced. The Astros, a good organization, understand that the backbone of the team is a solid major league rotation. Having lost Petitte and with holes they added Woody Williams, a decent short-term pickup, and now Jennings, who they will undoubtedly re-sign and will be part of a good rotation for several years.

They will not miss these pitching prospects, who may or may not pan out, because when they again need major league pitching they will go out and get it. Nor will they miss guys like Taveres, who they will replace.

They acquire players using different avenues. Carlos Lee as a free agent. Jennings in a trade. That's the way you try to win. Get better players, replace those you lose. They don't say -- let's sit out 2007 and maybe 2008 will be different because the economics may change or our youngsters may be ready.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-12-2006 at 05:28 PM.

It would have been nice to add Jennings, but you guys were acting like the Rockies were trying to give him away. That deal would be similar to us giving up something like Freel, Cueto, and Lohse. Not sure if he's worth it.

jenings is just another possible target gone by the wayside though i wouldnt gave the farm for him.
    who's next on the wish list ??
    westbrook?...maybe blanton?....penny?

I my self think that the Stros paid a little to much as well.But one thing is for sure.The teams in the central keep getting better and better and the Reds just stand pat and fall further and further in the depths of defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    They can have him. I think Jennings is an alright groundball pitcher but nothing more than that...
    I totally agree with your post, but it is a misconception that Jennings is an elite ground ball pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    ...Jennings, who they will undoubtedly re-sign...
    I understand Jennings is intent on testing the market, and that is why the Rockies were so intent on moving him. The Astros may sign him for Suppan type money, but I'd much rather have Suppan...but that isn't saying I like Suppan.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    I my self think that the Stros paid a little to much as well.But one thing is for sure.The teams in the central keep getting better and better and the Reds just stand pat and fall further and further in the depths of defeat.
    Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you don't make. The Reds were wise not to become desperate enough to over-pay for a Jennings.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you don't make. The Reds were wise not to become desperate enough to over-pay for a Jennings.
    If Hirsch frankly is #3 material (as of now and most sites are calling him that), Bailey is roughly #4 material (as of now and we all seem to think he'd be better than running out what we already have)..Then I don't see how the Astro's win this trade either way.

Jennings maybe win now, but how do you comprise five years of Hirsch control (and his ablity to get better) by winning now? That is the steep price tag here.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Jason Jennings was an Andy Pettitte replacement.

Combine that with the fact Roger Clemens most likely won't pitch for Houston this year and the Astros had to do something.

I log on to see if the Reds did anything this evening and I see the competition is still doing more. Oh well.

Turn Off Ads?