Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jennings to Houston

Jennings to Houston

The Astros have acquired Jason Jennings and Miguel Asencio from the Rockies for Jason Hirsh, Willy Taveras and Taylor Buchholz, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

When Houston GM Tim Purpura got his extension this winter, we indicated that he probably ranked among the top half of MLB GMs. Let us now revise that assessment. Yes, it looks like he was handcuffed by ownership on the Andy Pettitte negotiations, and indications were that the overwhelming bid for Carlos Lee was also fueled by ownership. This, however, has got to be mostly Purpura and it is one ugly trade. Hirsh is probably going to be a better pitcher than Jennings someday -- maybe as soon as 2008. We don't hold Taveras in high regard and Buchholz is probably better utilized as a reliever than as a starter, but there's no way the Astros should have made this trade, not when Jennings is just a year away from free agency.
    -rotoworld
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jennings to Houston

The Astros better sign Jennings to an LTC, or else they've just screwed up pretty badly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The Astros better sign Jennings to an LTC, or else they've just screwed up pretty badly.
    They will and they didn't. They care about winning in the major leagues, which they usually do.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Fine with me. I agree with you Johnny. If they don't ink him long term, they got the shaft.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good deal for the Rockies. Should of the Reds offered Arroyo

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    They will and they didn't. They care about winning in the major leagues, which they usually do.
    I get the "bird in the hand" argument, but the money is eventually going to run out in Houston -- and they'll probably overpay to keep Jennings in order to justify this trade to themselves. I don't like getting into the business of forking over big dough for #3 starters.

Just a hunch on that.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

So is the Reds equivalent Lizard, Bailey and Denorfia? That's a high price to pay if you only get him for one year. They better get long-term or they are in trouble. I wouldn't want to pay that much, but that could put them over the hump in the division this year. Probably hurts them long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    ...and there better be a humidor to be named later.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I like Jennings, especially better than Garland, but I'd be surprised if Jennings doesn't want to at least test the free agent waters at the end of 2007, in which case this could prove quite a gamble long-term for Houston.

Carlos Beltran Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    ...and there better be a humidor to be named later.

Not sure what all the love for Jennings is....he's been absolutely mediocre at best since he was ROY. Not sure I've seen a starter with a career k/bb rate that close to 1:1. El Humidor helped him a lot last year.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Even if they sign him long term, it's still essentially a one year rental as they will have to fork over FA money in any event. If Jennings has a big year, he will make a fortune.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Not sure what all the love for Jennings is....he's been absolutely mediocre at best since he was ROY. Not sure I've seen a starter with a career k/bb rate that close to 1:1. El Humidor helped him a lot last year.
    Russ Ortiz
    Mike Hampton
    Kirk Rueter

He and Craig Wilson were on my Christmas wish list, but that sure was a whole lot to spend. I wanna cry, but if the deal had to include Bailey, I'm good with the Reds not making it. Still stings a bit though....

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Russ Ortiz
    Mike Hampton
    Kirk Rueter
    And there you have it.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?