Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds designate Claussen for assignment

Reds designate Claussen for assignment

From Rotoworld:

Reds designated LHP Brandon Claussen for assignment.

Odd that they'd designate him for assignmenty when they could have just non-tendered him. Claussen isn't going to make much more than the minimum next season, so it'd be a surprise if he made it through waivers, even if he's unlikely to be ready for Opening Day after surgery to repair a small tear in his rotator cuff.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Reds designate Claussen

Not surprised. Good move IMO. He's been non commital in the past and although he is a great guy he lacks the competitiveness to be a top flight starter IMO.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Reds designate Claussen for assignment

So will he go to AAA, do you think? Or does some team give him a major-league contract?

I'm sure the Nationals will offer him a contract.

I think this is a very bad move. While he's hurt, he was very effective in 2005. He is a lefty, and maybe could rebound to be a #3-4 starter. He's only 27 too. Given what guys like Eaton and Meche are getting this is a big mistake. Someone will take a flyer on him. We also never really tried him in the pen... that might have been a viable option.

Man Pills

I imagine his arm is shot. If it's not, then I don't get this move. It's not as though the Reds have any depth if one of their "good" pitchers like Lohse or Milton blows a fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I imagine his arm is shot. If it's not, then I don't get this move. It's not as though the Reds have any depth if one of their "good" pitchers like Lohse or Milton blows a fuse.
    Did you just use "good pitcher" and "Lohse/Milton" in the same sentence?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Did you just use "good pitcher" and "Lohse/Milton" in the same sentence?

Didn't see the Krispy Kreme glaze of sarcasm all over that baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Didn't see the Krispy Kreme glaze of sarcasm all over that baby?
    I did. You're just in denial. We all know you are actually a HUGE Lohse fan.
    Last edited by BRM; 12-12-2006 at 06:53 PM.

I really don't care for this move. If we were going to non-tender someone, I'd have hoped it would have been Lohse. But we release a relatively young left handed starter to make room for an old right handed reliever. Meanwhile Chad Moeller continues to occupy a roster spot. I have nothing against Weathers and I've never been Claussen's biggest fan but this sends the wrong message to me. I hope they can re-sign him to a minor league deal but my guess is that some organization that knows a thing or two about pitching will sign him. He may never fulfill his promise but if that happens, I'd wager he becomes a passable starter. And I bet he would put up similar, if not better, numbers than Lohse at a fraction of the cost. Another one of the previous regime's guys gets the bum's rush.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Another one of the previous regime's guys gets the bum's rush.
    Zing. Give him a kewpie.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

This all depnds on Claussen's health.

If his arm looks good, this move makes little sense as he is one of the few guys who could be a reasonable back of the rotation starter. He had pretty decent success in 2005.

The logical assumption would be that his arm is shot and isn't worth the time and effort to get him back on track. It will be interesting to see if that is the case.

Hopefully he clears waivers and the Reds can hold on to him.

I have to assume he's toast.

Because if Krivsky is dumping a guy who's shown major league ability and keeping crap like Bubba Crosby and Chad Moeller on the 40-man roster, then I'm liable to have to clean bits of my head off the walls of my office. Again.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

so let me get this... we will pay Grant Balfor to rehab at or near the minimum but we won't keep a 27 yr old who could benefit being in the pen or as a spot starter a month into the season?

They must not think he'll pitch this year, if ever.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?