Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fifth Annual Redszone Postees Awards

Re: Fifth Annual Redszone Postees Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Most Valuable Poster

So many. WOY, M2, Cyclone, dougdirt, OnBaseMachine, Steel, Doc Scott, Caveat Emporer, dabvu, registerthis, vaticanplum...I could go on for awhile. Lots of knowledgeable posters have displayed their knowledge over the last year.
    Your check is in the mail, buddy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just tried to do this but I failed miserably. I'm so bad with names that I was trying to describe pictures and it was just awful. Also, I keep blanking on things that I know I have had strong opinions on at one time...I think I have killed my brain. Case in point: tagline. I know somebody has a tagline that absolutely kills me, but I have no idea who it is nor what it references. I'll probably remember it next June and have to bump this thread.

So my random notes:

I love, love, love the game threads, and I want to thank everybody who stops by and participates in them. They are the antithesis of all of this intellectual offseason analysis and I think they're a great release; I don't care how much they careen into directions unknown. I've never been a long-standing part of any message board before and those threads are the perfect example of why I've stayed on this one: sharing, if only briefly and anonymously (and one time that I remember, drunkenly), the joy and agony of following your team with other people who do too. Those threads saved me from the world's most boring job, and therefore potentially suicide, more times than I can count.

I also think that those threads contain quite a few of the greatest one-liners on the board, including what was, for some inexplicable reason, my favorite post of the year. Esteban Yan was self-destructing, and Pedro broke out with "I Yan't Believe It". This made me giggle for about three weeks. I'm laughing at it now.

Off-topic: the Cincinnati thread that Heath mentioned, and also the African watering hole.

I hate it when people attack others' fandom. My nomination for most tired topic of the year. It's pointless and irrelevant and there's no resolution to it.

I also want to say how much I appreciate the minor league forum. I don't even read it as much as I should, but I know that it is the best collection of such information that I'm going to get anywhere, and the ones who are big posters there are people who are really putting time and thought into keeping the rest of us up to speed on something more obscure. dougdirt, Doc Scott...well, here I am with my name problem again, but the rest of you know who you are.

My favorite username is tuna.

I wish superbarry11 would post more.

I thought I had more to say but I forget.

EDIT: I already remembered something I forgot.
    Best use of an emoticon: anybody who can manage to squeeze in this dude

but he has to be used sparingly or he loses his power.
    And also continuing with the game thread props, Matt700wlw and his jumping home run smiley faces. I used to loathe emoticons, but I've come around and I think matt and those jumping dudes are responsible. It's very Pavlovian; with the way he uses them so consistently and always for the same thing (homers), I now associate them with joy. Which I guess is not so weird considering that they're jumping smiley faces, but even so.

Very disappointed that no one has nominated me for best-dressed. I know you can't see me and everything, but it's all I aspire to.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 12-14-2006 at 09:14 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Very disappointed that no one has nominated me for best-dressed. I know you can't see me and everything, but it's all I aspire to.
    Actually, VP there are pictures of you on the picture board, which, if I remember correctly are available for public display.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Actually, VP there are pictures of you on the picture board, which, if I remember correctly are available for public display.
    No, I took them down a while ago.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 12-14-2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: thoughtless and perhaps misleading posting
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I'm going to give this a whirl here. As a mod, I don't want to appear like I'm playing favorites so I'm limiting my awards to just a few categories.

Most missed poster: Creek, darlin', I know you're out there. I can see you lurking on here. Post every once in awhile, would you? Adam would want you to.

Best Discussion: I have to say that the best thread on here - besides any thread that had to do with Burger Chef - would be when GAC's house burnt down and the Zone pulled together in support of GAC and his family and how folks gave him all kinds of stuff to replace what he had lost. I'm proud to be a member of a community that was so giving to someone who lost pretty much all his material posessions.

Best Newcomer: I'm not going to go with a who here but a what. I think the best newcomer is obvious: The minor league forum. I can't say I frequent the forum but it provides a great service for people on here.

Most Tired Topic of the Year: I have to say The Trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

There are so very many that contribute to the interesting and informative comments within Redszone throughout the year that I just want to say that I really appreciate each of you for making RZ one of the best stops for me on the Internet.

Sorry to hijack this thread for a second, but in light of some of the comments in this thread...

WEHT: Krono, Creek and Steel (particularly enjoyed his posts)? Been out of pocket for some time and did not realize they were no longer walking the halls of RZ.
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 12-15-2006 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Best Discussion - I actually like the Kearns trade rumor thread before the trade actually happened
    I just posted something I saw on CNNSI and I expected it to bring in a few replies and to quickly be forgotten. It truly amazed me what happened. It was almost scary. Allow me to say as a newbie who was introduced to this site by TRF this year that I have enjoyed my time here very much. If I ever insulted anyone or treated anyone on this with disrespect I am sorry. It was not intentional. Thank all of you very much for the entertainment. I may be a traditionalist but all of you are all right in my book. I would also like to ask that in the spirit of the season that Steel be allowed to post again. Happy Holidays to all!

Most missed poster - SteelSD – A smart, insightful, and passionate fan of the Reds and baseball in general. I learned a lot from him, and hope he’ll be back. I also miss RedStorm and REDREAD.

Best tag line – Johnny Footstool (quoting RFS62) - "1908, you pretentious, know-nothing, poseurs. You dumb-asses think a goat has cursed you. That's how much you know about baseball." -RFS62

Best Moniker – RedsManRick – It reminds me of a comedian on the Bob & Tom Show named Greg something. He played the clarinet, thus earning himself the nickname Flute Man Greg.

Most Valuable Poster In past years I’ve forced myself to name just one person here, but I can’t do it anymore. There are too many people who are must-reads for me. Among them: M2, westofyou, Caveat Emperor, Cyclone792, cincinnati chili, MWM, and jmcclain19.

Most Clever – Puffy – He’s good for at least one chuckle a day. Chip R, BCubb2003, and pedro are also high on my list.

Best Armchair GM – M2 – Knowledgable, outspoken, logical, and passionate. I’d be happy to serve as his field manager.

Best Discussion - GAC’s house burning down – First a frightening few days, followed by months of reminders about the good people we have here at RedsZone. Other good threads include the explications of various trades, and, of course, the Dan O’Brien Fired! thread.

Best Use of Statistics – westofyou – Sometime’s he’ll simply do a drive-by in a thread by posting nothing but that stats that just happen to show how insane the previous poster is. I love those threads. Steel and Cyc also deserve mention.

Most Positive – GAC – “Nobody scores on Danny Graves.”

Most Negative – Falls City Beer – Just because you don’t like what he says doesn’t mean he’s wrong.

Best Use of an Emoticon - I love this little guy. I wish I could use him more.

Nicest – KittyDuran – What a genuinely nice and giving person. She’s one of RedsZone’s treasures.

Best Moderator – Chip R – He keeps order with precious little yelling, and even has a little fun along the way.

Best Newcomer - mth123 – Lately I’ve apparently been trying to rep him a lot, because every time I do, the board tells me I have to spread it around a bit before I can come back to him.

Best Historian – westofyou – Can there be any doubt?

Lifetime Achievement Award – RFS62 – He’s an Episode IV Obi Wan Kenobi in an Episode II world.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Here's a few of mine.

Most missed poster

Krono. This board just isn't the same without 2,000 posts a day.

Most Valuable Poster
    TeamClark. Has the most inside knowledge of just about anyone in RZ.

Most Clever
    BCUBB Very clever one liners. Always read those.

Best Trademeister

Krusty Don't usually agree with them but interesting.

Funniest
    Krono He needs toreally come back.

Best Use of Statistics
    Cyclone I don't really understand a lot of his stats but they are interesting and I marvel at how he spends the time with them.

Most Positive

RedsMetz always seems to be positive.

Most Negative

FCB or OnBaseMachine Although they may be negative they are usually just telling it like it is.

Best Use of an Emoticon
    Krono Man,this guy comes up a lot. Where is he?

Nicest

GAC He seems like a great guy to be around. I'm always laughing at the things he tells about doing.

Best Moderator

Boss Hog He's the best.

The Marty Brennamen Award
    Caveat Emptor is the best out of many good one's. Gallen and Tornon are very good too.
    Best Historian

WOY He is the true hostorian of RZ. I always try to find his post about historical trivialties.

Lifetime Achievement Award

WOY again.

Most Tired Topic of the Year

Dunn or Krivsky bashing. I've quit clicking on those threads.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I'm no good at these things but Iknow one winner:

Nicest is without question Kitty Duran. What a genuinely nice and thoughtful person. She made my visit to GABP and treat this year.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Most missed poster

RFS - being as how old and senile he is, I miss the old RFS. When he had his wits and stuff.

Best tag line

RFS62's.

Best Moniker

RFS62 - Reds Fan Since 1862. How can you beat that?

Most Valuable Poster

RFS. Even though he is old and senile, he still has just enough baseball savvy to let you know that back in the day (way, way, way back) he had a brilliant baseball mind.

Most Clever

RFS62. A madman. When he told the story about the time he stole that cow, and his friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with him, cowboy. If the two of us got together, forget it.

Best Armchair GM

RFS62.

Best Trademeister

RFS

Best Discussion

The "New James Bond??????" with the 6 question marks at the end by you guessed it - RFS62. I mean 6 question marks were the absolute perfect number to convey the question we all had with the so-called new james Bond, freakin perfect!

Worst Typist

RFS - in his defense though, neither typewriters nor keyboards were invented when he was growing up, so we need to cut him some slack here.

Funniest

Red Leader - just cause of all the props he gave me earlier.

Best Use of Statistics

RFS62.

Most Long-winded

RFS62. Get him talking about Eli Whitney and the Cotton Gin and he just won't shut up.

Most Positive

RFS62. Always stays positive no matter how bad the Reds are.

Most Negative

RFS62. Never is positive no matter good the Reds season is going.

Best Use of an Emoticon

RFS - how he uses the when his senileness kicks in is amazing.

Nicest

RFS. Always a kind word - even though he relates all life's problems with a scene from his favorite movie (Brokeback Mountain), he's still a nice guy.

Best Moderator

Over on the peanut Gallery - RFS62.

Lifetime Achievement Award

The Frank Costanza of Redszone - RFS62
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Screw you, hippie

Wait, what were we talking about?

Oh yeah... Abner Doubleday. What a jerk. If I told him once, I told him a thousand times. No freakin' way a walk is as good as a hit.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Oh yeah... Abner Doubleday. What a jerk. If I told him once, I told him a thousand times. No freakin' way a walk is as good as a hit.
    Was that back when you two were garrisoned at Fort Sumter, holding back "Johnny Reb?"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Hey guys, I'm here. I check in every couple of days just to make sure the Reds haven't traded my beloved Adam.

Honestly, between fighting the bad guys at work and fighting that damn melanoma crap the rest of the time, I just don't have the energy to fight here too.

But I still love ya all.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?