Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most frustrating player

Most frustrating player

Who is the player that has most frustrated you?

Maybe it's that "potential all-star" that you loved but he never quite developed?

Maybe it's a pitcher that pitches brilliantly durring the season and collapases during the playoffs?

Maybe it's a player who was a stud but squandered his tallent on wine, women and/or song?

Maybe it's a player who ever time you started to think was an ok guy, opened his mouth and said another stupid/digusting comment?

Any team, any era, any league. So many players, so many reasons to be frustrated.

NOTE: I hate having to add these little tag lines, but here goes. If you want to vote for Dunner, that's fine, but in no way is this thread intended to have anything to do with a dunn-bash-fest. Hopefully there are more players in the entirity of baseball to consider for this honor than the big man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most frustrating player

Toe Nash blew it for a variety of reasons.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Unfortunately, for me, it's Dunn by a landslide. If traded, our offense would be non-existent, but he still drives me crazy alot of the time.

Two other guys would be Jack Armstrong and Ty Howington. I thought Armstrong was our next ace, then he flamed out quickly. And although it's not his fault because he got hurt, Howington seemed to start this trend of Red's top minor league pitcher's getting hurt and never helping the big club. Hopefully Bailey will stop this trend.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Chris Sabo for his inability to lay off the slider off the plate.

Danny Graves for always putting runners on base.

Austin Kearns for teasing me with his talent, but never putting it all together.

Pete Rose for finding a way to annoy Bud on a regular basis.

Curt Shilling for thinking that we think what he thinks is important.

Barry Bonds for thinking we are just plain stupid.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Toe Nash blew it for a variety of reasons.
    I actually thought about mentioning him, but I know so little about him. Have you or anyone else on Redszone seen him play? How good was/is he? I've only heard random stories.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Who is the player that has most frustrated you?

Maybe it's that "potential all-star" that you loved but he never quite developed?

Maybe it's a pitcher that pitches brilliantly durring the season and collapases during the playoffs?

Maybe it's a player who was a stud but squandered his tallent on wine, women and/or song?

Maybe it's a player who ever time you started to think was an ok guy, opened his mouth and said another stupid/digusting comment?

Any team, any era, any league. So many players, so many reasons to be frustrated.

NOTE: I hate having to add these little tag lines, but here goes. If you want to vote for Dunner, that's fine, but in no way is this thread intended to have anything to do with a dunn-bash-fest. Hopefully there are more players in the entirity of baseball to consider for this honor than the big man.

Eric Davis is the first one that comes to mind. He had an outstanding career but he never really lived up to the "Willie Mays" hype he had when he first came up.

Paul Householder, Kal Daniels, Brad Lesley, and Willie Greene were all guys that I thought could be perenial All Stars for the Reds.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

In the last decade: Kearns. It's not even close.

I always found Paul O'Neill frustrating as a Red.

I find a lot of Reds frustrating on some level--only Davis and Larkin crapped gold cufflinks in my lifetime.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The one that sticks out in my mind is the player that caused Tony Perez to be traded to Montreal. He of the consistent warning track power. The uncle of Gerald Perry. The incomparable one from Hilton Head, South Carolina...............................Dan Driessen.

Back a ways, the Reds had a parade of pitchers that frustrated me. Frank Pastore, Bruce Berenyi, Paul Moskau, Joe Price, Jack Armstrong, Ross Grimsley, Mo Sanford, and others I'm forgetting. They just could never seem to get it together.

Other big potential guys are Willie Greene (the poster child of unfulfilled expectations), Kal Daniels (so much ability and he blew it), Gary Redus, and Paul Konerko (the Reds jerked him around between 1B and 3B).

Lesser talented but still frustrating were Paul Householder, Harry Spilman, Duane Walker, Nick Esasky, Mike Kelley, and Scott Winchester.

Pokey and Gookey deserve special mention.

And Cesar Cedeno, the supposed savior of the franchise in the early 80's and it became rapidly apparent his gas tank was empty.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

I find a lot of Reds frustrating on some level--only Davis and Larkin crapped gold cufflinks in my lifetime.
    My grandpa hated O'Neill. Said he'd trade him for a wheelbarrow.

I miss my grandpa.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Griffey has been rather frustrating as a Red, as difficult as it is for me to admit that. I have been pulling for him all along, but it seems that age/injury bug keeps on a-biting. And there was so much hope when the trade came about.
    Sabo frustrated the heck out of me because he had so much talent - but was not a smart ball player.
    I'd always had hopes for Mark Lewis, for some reason, and he never did come through for me.
    And, yeah, Kearns.
    And whatever happened to the player who (according to Marty) was supposed to change it all - Motorboat Jones?
    Last edited by MrCinatit; 12-14-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Guy Hoffman couldhave been as good as Warren Spahn, but alas, he wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

I'll agree with FCB on these too. I thought for sure that O'Neill was too emotionally fragile to make in New York, but he absolutely thrived there, much to all of our frustration. He chafed under his managers here and was a great, solid ballplayer for the Yankees.

Folks are doing great in not making this a Dunn bashfest, but as much as I don't want him traded, the "all or nothing" that is his offense is certainly maddening. If he ever fills out his game without harnessing his power - WOW!

Kearns far and away.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Williamson't bouts of wildness drove me crazy. I have to echo Cedeno and Pastore as choices. Cedeno was my favorite non-Red during that time and I remember being very excited when he came to Cincinnati, only to have those hopes shot down. I also remember Pastore's mechanics being likened to Tom Seaver so expectations were extremely high
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?