Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bray

Bill Bray

Anyone think this lefty could be the future closer of the Reds. Maybe this is the reason why the Reds haven't signed the likes of Keith Foulke or Eric Gagne? Could we see Stanton and Weathers close out games at the beginning of the season while slowly move Bray into that role at midseason?

Bray was a closer in college and for his rookie year, his stats weren't that bad for the Nationals and Reds.

So, do you think our search for a closer is actually on the roster now?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Bill Bray

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Anyone think this lefty could be the future closer of the Reds. Maybe this is the reason why the Reds haven't signed the likes of Keith Foulke or Eric Gagne? Could we see Stanton and Weathers close out games at the beginning of the season while slowly move Bray into that role at midseason?

Bray was a closer in college and for his rookie year, his stats weren't that bad for the Nationals and Reds.

So, do you think our search for a closer is actually on the roster now?
    I do. I'm all for Bray starting the year in AAA as the closer. Late June, early July call up and ease him into the role.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'd like him to get major league hitters out on a regular basis before I annoint him the closer. He's got good stuff, but then again, so did Ryan Wagner.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

AAA! Bray has proven that he deserves a spot in our bullpen. Plus Bray could be our closer eventually, but the Reds should not start one of our best left handed arms out of the pen in AAA.

Found this interesting tidbit about Bray when he was with the Nationals:

http://washnationals.blogspot.com/20...high-ball.html

Bullpen
    LHP BILL BRAY
    Experience: 1
    Height/Weight:
    2004 Level and Stats: Low-A, 4.91, 7, 1-6

Bray may move slower than Chad Cordero, who was another first round college reliever draft pick. The Nationals are considering having him pitch out of the starting rotation this year in an attempt to get him more innings and gain experience. Baseball America says he has a change to be a real dominating left-handed reliever closing out ballgames.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

We went through this with Todd Coffey last season. He started the year on fire but once he was slotted in the closer's spot he went in a tailspin the rest of the year.

I was all for putting Coffey in the spot last season and (albeit in a small sample size) he failed. I don't want to do that again with Bray this year.

For the time being, I just want the people to get the batters that they're facing out. Don't worry about what inning it is, just do your job. The rest will fall into place.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697 View Post
    AAA! Bray has proven that he deserves a spot in our bullpen. Plus Bray could be our closer eventually, but the Reds should not start one of our best left handed arms out of the pen in AAA.
    Perhaps having him working amongst seasoned veterans such as Weathers and Stanton will move him along more quickly to a closer role.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Perhaps having him working amongst seasoned veterans such as Weathers and Stanton will move him along more quickly to a closer role.
    Working alongside seasoned vets Weathers and Cormier didn't help him much last season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'd like him to get major league hitters out on a regular basis before I annoint him the closer. He's got good stuff, but then again, so did Ryan Wagner.
    Ryan Wagner had very good stuff. Bill Bray would be lucky to have half of Wagner's stuff.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

TC, do you think Bray would be better off learning the pressure of the role in AAA compared to learning how to pitch more effectively in general by facing tougher competition in the majors? It just seems like a bit of a waste. At some point, you put the guy in the pressure situation and he either sinks or swims.

I think they can easily do a closer-by-committee thing again based on favorable matchups and if he shows himself to be the best option, he can get increased opportunities. It would seem to me that putting him in AAA has more of a chance to screw with his psche than simply using him carefully in the majors.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I wouldn't mind going into the season with Coffey and Bray co-closers based on righty/lefty matchups and seeing if one of them rises up and grabs the reigns to be THE closer.

Competition ain't a bad thing.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Ryan Wagner had very good stuff. Bill Bray would be lucky to have half of Wagner's stuff.
    I'll agree that Wagner had good stuff..........in college. It never happened on the big league level. His fastball diminished and I think he forgot how to throw the slider. It simply didn't have the bite and break that it had in college. That may be the Reds fault, as his arm angle also changed. Reason I think they tried to change his mechanics was that his delivery was a little severe and I think they feared arm injury from the very beginning. Watching him in college, I had the same thought. Never liked the pick for that reason.

I think Bray has a real good chance of being a much better major league pitcher than Wagner. That isn't saying much with Wagner's career, but I really think Bray has a lot of upside and his mechanics are much more sound. He needs to be much more consistent, quit overthrowing, and really have the confidence that he has the stuff to get hitters out. He looked a little "wide eyed" on the mound last season. He rushed and didn't look balanced over the rubber, at times. Things need to slow down a little bit for him, and I believe it will happen this season.

One more thing that I like about Bray is that he hasn't logged a lot of innings on that strong left arm. I think part of his control problems are a result of that lack of work. I'm kind of with Team Clark, in that I think he could use a stint at AAA getting regular work as a closer and some innings and confidence under his belt. The down side to that is that he is one of the best arms on the Reds staff. Still, I believe a short stint in AAA would be of benefit.

Let Weathers start the year as the closer and slowly move bray into the role. He should for sure be the closer by 08, possibly some time in 07 if he shows he can handle it. Weathers gives us the insurance so that we dont have to rush bray.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    TC, do you think Bray would be better off learning the pressure of the role in AAA compared to learning how to pitch more effectively in general by facing tougher competition in the majors? It just seems like a bit of a waste. At some point, you put the guy in the pressure situation and he either sinks or swims.

I think they can easily do a closer-by-committee thing again based on favorable matchups and if he shows himself to be the best option, he can get increased opportunities. It would seem to me that putting him in AAA has more of a chance to screw with his psche than simply using him carefully in the majors.
    I hear what you are saying and in a perfect word I would agree.

If I am not mistaken Bray has options left. Cormier and Stanton are going to break camp on the 25. I do not see Bray making the Roster as a third lefty. It could happen but I don't see it. The reasoning I have is he needs INNINGS. The all important improvement factor. Do you think Cormier and Stanton are going to want to sit by idle? I don't. Would it benefit Bray to be in the Bigs and have Weathers, Stanton and Cormier to bounce ideas off of. Absolutely! Will he get that for 6 weeks in ST. Yes, without a doubt. All I am talking about is 8-10 weeks in AAA as a CLOSER. Is that really going to hurt a guy who is still trying to find some measure of consistency? No. It will sharpen his focus and give him a fined tune set of goals.

Middle relieving and closing are not the same thing. It's a different mind set and and I think he needs to be put in those tight situations to adapt. Granted AAA and the Big Leagues are also two different things but I just can not see Bray being thrown in the closer's role after sharing limited innings in the Bigs. Especially with a guy who has options. Folks I could be Waaaay off base here. Cormier could get traded at 4:00 to the Mariners for all I know. This is just how I see the scenario playing out.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?