Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

The X-Files

As I was reading through the Peter Boyle thread (may he rest in peace), I noticed a few mentions of the X-Files. I would have to list that as my all time favorite show. It was just truly unique at the time and I felt that it was one of the more intelligent shows out there. So, any fellow X-File fans here? What were some of your favorite episodes? I was big on the mythology episodes of course, but I also always got a kick out of the more comedic, light-hearted episodes. One of my favorite episodes from the series would have to be "Paper Hearts", it just really got to me and I loved David Duchovny's performance along with the actor who played the child abductor (sorry...don't know his name). Great episode. I think the series went a little awry toward the end, but I still loved it. I'm hoping the 2nd movie comes to fruition eventually.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The X-Files

I loved the Jose Chung episode starring the baffling Charles Nelson Reilly with Alex Trebeck and Jesse the Body Ventura as Men in Black, the Peter Boyle episode, the baseball episode with M. Emmett Walsh, and "Home" -- the "banned" episode with the incestuous southern family. The mythology episodes were good and kept me hooked, but the show really shined when it pulled out all the stops and went crazy.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Paper Hearts was a great episode. None were more memorable for me than "Home" as Johnny mentioned, with Sheriff Andy Taylor. So many great, "spooky", scenes in that episode, the kids playing baseball at the beginning, finding the mom under the bed, the entire scene when the sheriff and his wife are killed. Brilliant, eerie, stuff
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    Paper Hearts was a great episode. None were more memorable for me than "Home" as Johnny mentioned, with Sheriff Andy Taylor. So many great, "spooky", scenes in that episode, the kids playing baseball at the beginning, finding the mom under the bed, the entire scene when the sheriff and his wife are killed. Brilliant, eerie, stuff
    My girlfriends parents used to call us every Sunday evening, and my wife would rush to end the conversation before X-Files came on. They became curious about the show and decided to start watching it. The first episode they saw happened to be "Home."

It was also the last episode they saw.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I enjoyed a lot of the X files episodes. But, being a dork, I always enjoyed the shows that deal with "the conspiricy" over the funny ones, mythology, weird insects, etc.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I've always like the X-Files.

SO many outstanding episodes!

Paper Hearts is one of my favorites....it just makes your skin crawl.

I was not an X-Phile while the show was in original production, but I do make a point to watch it in re-runs now and again and I do enjoy a great deal of what I see in it. The 'Home' episode mentioned above seems to be one I've seen about a half dozen times, though I've never seen the Peter boyle episode at all and I wish I could based on what I've read.

I should probably just buy the dvds

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Yeah, the season DVD's were way out of my price range for a long time. Fortunately though, FOX came out with revamped season DVD's earlier this year at a much more reasonable price. I have season's 1-3, and am hoping dear Santa brings me seasons 4 & 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I was not an X-Phile while the show was in original production, but I do make a point to watch it in re-runs now and again and I do enjoy a great deal of what I see in it. The 'Home' episode mentioned above seems to be one I've seen about a half dozen times, though I've never seen the Peter boyle episode at all and I wish I could based on what I've read.

I should probably just buy the dvds
    The Peter Boyle episode is just brilliant. It's funny, subtle, and ultimately very sad. The dialogue is especially well-written, even by X-Files standards. Great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    "Home" -- the "banned" episode with the incestuous southern family.
    Creepiest thing I've ever seen on network TV, but so well done.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Creepiest thing I've ever seen on network TV, but so well done.
    I didn't see that one untl this year....TNT played it.

My mouth was on the floor.....it gave me the creeps. It was sick. I did enjoy it though (and almost felt wrong for doing so).

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I enjoyed a lot of the X files episodes. But, being a dork, I always enjoyed the shows that deal with "the conspiricy" over the funny ones, mythology, weird insects, etc.
    I was totally the opposite. Hated the aliens, the smoking guy, the sister plotline...but loved the creepy people.

The show on the carnies was great, considfering I lived right by that town for awhile.

I love a lot of the ones already mentioned - the baseball episode, paper hearts, and the episode with Trebek were particularly good.
    Some that stick out (no names, sorry):
    One where Jodie Foster voiced a tatoo who was taking over the mind of the man who had the tatoo.
    Tony Shalhoub played a man whose shadow became a black hole. Very nice.
    There was an episode with a Cher loving elephant man which made me chuckle.
    Je Souhaite with Kevin Weisman as a man who finds a genie was a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    There was an episode with a Cher loving elephant man which made me chuckle.
    After that episode, I can't help but think of Eric Stolz in "Mask" whenever I hear "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I've only recently started watching the repeats. For a while after the series ended, I couldn't watch, because it seemed strange to revisit times before. Now, though, I'm really enjoying seeing episodes I'd almost forgotten. When my income gets a bump next month, I'm going to pick up some early season DVDs.

The show's in my top five of all time, probably battling with St. Elsewhere for the top spot.

Turn Off Ads?